Can PPL do relief work?

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!
homersimpson
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Can PPL do relief work?

Postby homersimpson » Tue Nov 12 2019, 02:07

Hi guys,
I got a question today I couldn't answer with confidence. A PPL pilot asked what relief work he can legally do with his own helicopter in this time of disaster. He's not after money, just wants to help out.
Anybody know what the rules are and where in the regulations? I'm thinking somewhere under a privileges and limitations heading...
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Can PPL do relief work?

Postby bangequalsbad » Tue Nov 12 2019, 02:43

I would say without the radios and approvals, they may end up doing more harm than good.
As horrible as it is to say, the aftermath will probably be when this level of service that they are offering will be most needed.
zzodr
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby zzodr » Tue Nov 12 2019, 02:50

Classification of operations
Private operations CAR 2(7)(D)

The following are regarded as private operations:

the personal transportation of the owner of the aircraft
aerial spotting where the pilot, or the owner of the aircraft, receives no renumeration by any person or organisation on whose behalf the spotting is conducted
agricultural operations on land owned and occupied by the owner of the aircraft
aerial photography where no remuneration is received by the pilot or the owner of the aircraft or by any person or organisation on whose behalf the photography is conducted
the carriage of persons or the carriage of goods without a charge for the carriage being made other than the carriage, for the purposes of trade, of goods being the property of the pilot,
the owner or the hirer of the aircraft
the carriage of persons, but not in accordance with a fixed schedule between terminals, provided that:
public notice of the flight has not been given by any form of public advertisement or announcement
the number of persons on the flight, including the operating crew, does not exceed six
no payment is made for the services of the operating crew
the persons on the flight, including the operating crew, share equally in the costs of the flight
no payment is required for a person on the flight other than the cost-sharing payment above

the carriage of goods otherwise than for the purposes of trade
flight training other than Part 141, Part 142 or balloon
any other activity of a kind substantially similar to any of those specified above.

--
Plus obtaining landing permission from property owners.
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Tue Nov 12 2019, 03:08

Perhaps the skill levels and the training undergone by the PPL would not be of the level expected by the emergency services, or by the other CPL operating in close proximity to the emergency. The services have minimum experience requirements that must be met or exceeded, and they are there for a reason.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Tue Nov 12 2019, 03:16

Don’t forget the usual notams that go hand in hand with disaster type situations.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
homersimpson
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby homersimpson » Tue Nov 12 2019, 03:27

Yeah my immediate answer to him was have a beer at home and stay out of everybody's way.
Thanks zzodr for the CAR. I know that one, thought there might be an exemption somewhere.
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Tue Nov 12 2019, 07:07

homersimpson wrote:Yeah my immediate answer to him was have a beer at home and stay out of everybody's way.

Very good advice
Rotorpilot
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Rotorpilot » Wed Nov 13 2019, 00:53

Was that just a general question, out of interest or does he actually has a Helicopter to offer? if so what Helicopter would it be?

What sort of relief work is he talking about? fighting fires, moving stock feed, transport of manpower?
Dem winds are gonna blow
homersimpson
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby homersimpson » Wed Nov 13 2019, 23:24

It was just a general question that made me think about it.
Old mate’s got a 44 but not many hours under the belt.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Wed Nov 13 2019, 23:34

Didn’t Harrison Ford evacuate some people with his private helicopter a few years ago - all positive on that story.

The biggest issue would be knowing how to help - no agencies would co-ordinate anything.

Like a private car. If you were driving down the road, and some people needed a lift - no issue.
If you tried to drive into an active fire zone to “help”, you’d be in the way, or arrested.

If you saw a fire approaching your neighbors property and you landed your pvt R44 in their front paddock and offered them a lift to safety - probably no issue.
If you flew your pvt R44 amongst the smoke and fire bombers looking for some way to help.......
Sheldon Cooper
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Sheldon Cooper » Fri Nov 15 2019, 08:09

As a PPL holder and R44 operator , I’ve been asked to investigate an EPIRB activation and to do a medical transfer from a remote community. Basically no commercial operators available so they rang me. Couldn’t do the EPIRB because machine was under maintenance and declined on the medivac.

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”