TUNA BOAT QUESTIONS...

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!
K1

Re: TUNA BOAT QUESTIONS...

Postby K1 » Mon Oct 3 2011, 05:14

Mainly to do with the tax, I have asked a couple of different accountants and and get different answers :x :x .
What is the best way to sett up your pay, into a NZ account, US or Australian.
I will continue to get an accountants advice but am interested to know how people have been going about it as I do not want to get any surprises come tax time. .
How many hours flying is the norm in 12 months at the moment?.
What was the maximum distance you would go from the boat. I have heard some people say they would not go past 50NM.
Have you had any dramas getting work since finishing.
Chur, Chur.
Luka
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Luka » Mon Oct 3 2011, 07:15

It depends on your citizenship and how or if you want to pay tax :D You can set up a bank account offshore and have your pay paid in to that, then don't tell the tax people. A lot of the pilots I knew did that, but you run the risk of being caught. I set up a company and had my money paid in to that. Best get advice from an accountant.

Flying depends completely on the Capitan/Fishmaster. Some boats I have flown as little as 50 hours, some 150 hours per month. I seemed to average (with a 3 day unload and a couple of days sailing to port) about 100 hours per month.
Distance from boat again depends on captain. Furtherest away I few from my boat was about 120 miles, but normally not more than about 60. Other boats didn't want me to fly more than 20 miles, so no hard and fast rules. The GPS tracking device (if it even is working) does not really work beyond about 35 miles, and radar not much further. I did have my own GPS as well as the one in the boat. You normally can see the boat at about 15 miles, on a good day I have seen it from 30 miles away - and on a bad day from 200m!

I walked right in to a job when I came back in May, and have had three people phone me offering me jobs since then, so can't say I have had any dramas.
Snowcarver04
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Snowcarver04 » Mon Oct 3 2011, 22:41

Thanks for the information.
I have heard guys walking straight out of CPL with 160 hours and getting a chance. Does this happen very often?

I have 250 hours with H269, R22, and R44 and I will send off my resume shortly, although I'm not sure if I should do a H500 rating first and include that in the resume or can I just state that I can do a rating before coming over.
Does it make any difference?

Also do you ever sling anything off ships? Supplies or anything between ships?

Appreciate any info.
Regards,
Ben
Luka
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Luka » Mon Oct 3 2011, 23:25

I too have heard these stories, but am yet to meet someone who has done it. Tropic have a system where they will take lower time pilots and send them out with another pilot for a trip, but you certainly will not get a job if you tell them you have a brand new license that's for sure. I also know that they are now checking pilots prior to offering them jobs. Both Hansen and Tropic like new pilots to have 1000 hours, 100 turbine and 20 - 50 on type. Most pilots employed by both Hansen and Tropic are ex Philippines military pilots. Despite what people often say they are not normally desperate for pilots, and you should approach them just as you would for any other job.

If you don't have a type rating you won't get a job, I don't know of anyone who has got a rating off either Hansen or Tropic. Sure some people say otherwise and it may happen, but personally I don't know of it. Both companies do check flights with new pilots.

Re the sling, I don't think I flew any Hansen machines with hooks, and only one Tropic machine with a hook (though it was unserviceable). Western Pacific helicopters do have hooks for the tie down, but they are not used for lifting. It is quite common to transfer stuff between ships, though this is done in the back of the helicopters.
Snowcarver04
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Snowcarver04 » Mon Oct 3 2011, 23:47

Thanks again Luka.

So with 250 hours my chance maybe slim. I am happy to pay for my own type rating, do you think it matters if I get before I send my resume or get rating after.
I just don't really want to spend all that money just yet if I don't have a chance of getting employment.

If they gave me any indication of a chance then I would get rating.
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Tue Oct 4 2011, 05:24

Luka wrote:Distance from boat again depends on captain. Furtherest away I few from my boat was about 120 miles, but normally not more than about 60. Other boats didn't want me to fly more than 20 miles, so no hard and fast rules.

120nm FROM your boat? In a 500C?
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Tue Oct 4 2011, 05:43

Just get that 500 going straight n level, climb in the back seat grab the Jerry's, climb out on other skid, load fuel, climb back in keep flying. Easy... :lol:
blackstump
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby blackstump » Tue Oct 4 2011, 06:07

I worked for hansen
60nm max from boat
2hr 15 max
100 odd knots +/-
242 litres
loiter time thrown in
hard enough to find boat when youve done the triangle out and back let alone when the pricks changed course and have 2 hours to shoot off in another direction
120nm not a chance i would do it or if you did that you would come back
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Tue Oct 4 2011, 07:59

If the boat does 12kt flat out multiply that by the number of daylight hours remaining, divide by 2, that gives max range.
Eg. 2 hours of daylight left gives a range of 12nm MAX. If they want to go 60nm, we better have 10hrs left...
Luka
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Luka » Tue Oct 4 2011, 08:41

blackstump wrote:I worked for hansen
60nm max from boat
2hr 15 max
100 odd knots +/-
242 litres
loiter time thrown in
hard enough to find boat when youve done the triangle out and back let alone when the pricks changed course and have 2 hours to shoot off in another direction
120nm not a chance i would do it or if you did that you would come back

Yes 120 miles from my boat. Refuelled from another boat after about 2 hours. It was quite common on that boat to fly 80 nm from the boat and return to it. Have flown 100 nm quite regularly to transport parts or people, and the longest time for a flight I had was 2.8 hours, when on one of our long range flights the boat was not where it was supposed to be on the way back. It was a bit of a worry I can tell you. Not many of the Hansen machines would do 100 kts with the C10 or C18 in them. Also Hansen have a strict rule of 2 hours max for any flight. When I worked for Hansen I was forever fighting with the Capitan who thought we should fly for 2.5 hours on every flight.
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Tue Oct 4 2011, 08:56

And there is a reasonable explanation. I was thinking, maybe 100 nm for some coke and chocolate, 20nm to local airport, then off to lockup!!! :lol:
Snowcarver04
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Snowcarver04 » Tue Oct 4 2011, 09:12

Can I ask how many hours you guys had when you started a tuna boat job? Is there anyone currently in NZ I could call that have been on the boats in the last few years. Would love to talk to someone if anyone is interested in a chat.
I'm really quite keen to get into this side of flying
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Tue Oct 4 2011, 09:29

Helicraft, in wanaka, was looking for pilots on boats a while ago, I think!

Don't quote me on that, but a phone call wouldn't hurt, and then you would be getting answers from the horses mouth...
Luka
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Luka » Tue Oct 4 2011, 10:45

I had a little over 1500 hours when I started, mostly fixed wing though. I finished my last trip in May I think it was. The company that SuperF was referring to is actually Western Pacific Helicopters which operate R44's off American boats. You can try them, but you will need 1000 hours and previous tuna boat experience to be taken up by their insurance.
blackstump
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby blackstump » Tue Oct 4 2011, 11:50

Toaster--If the boat does 12kt flat out multiply that by the number of daylight hours remaining, divide by 2, that gives max range.
Eg. 2 hours of daylight left gives a range of 12nm MAX. If they want to go 60nm, we better have 10hrs left..

might have missed something here? 10 hr left for what?

interesting Luka- Never heard anyone fuelling off other boats when I was there and Hansen at the time had a strict 50-60 mile from boat max distance and 2 hr 15 flight time max.. and yep the captains seemed to suffer memory loss every time that came up..

cheers
bw
Luka
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Luka » Tue Oct 4 2011, 20:08

Yes it is quite common to refuel from other boats, especially between the Fong Seong boats, but have also done it between the Dong Wong boats and the Trimarine boats.

I dug out the current operating procedures for Hansen Helicopters, they consisted of a two page memorandum and OCR'ed them. I have reproduced them below, any spelling or grammatical errors are not mine except for number 17 which I had to spell wrong so it would not be censored by this site. Note that the maximum flight time is 2 hours (no 12), but there is nothing about how far you can fly from a boat.

M E M O R A N D U M

TO: All Pilots

1) Always secure the rotor blades when helicopters is on deck. Right after shutting down engine and strong wind prevails apply forward cyclic and aggressively apply rotor brake upon reaching 150 rotor rpm. All Rotor blades to be tied down when helicopter is secured for the night. Any rotor blade tail boom strikes caused from inadequate blade tie down are responsibility of pilot & mechanic.

2) HUGHES engine compressor to be washed daily when flying. (Failure to do so is immediately able to be seen upon inspection.)

3) Failure to untie all tie downs before flight normally results in instant death. No remedial action need be taken.

4) Contract wages will be paid on the first of the month or the first working day thereafter. Payment will be made to one location only. If wages are to be deposited to a savings or checking account, it is best if they can be deposited into your personal account.

5) Orders for helicopter parts will be taken at any time, (This also applies to any emergency need that may arise) personal items may be ordered only every two weeks. Orders may be made fax. Fax no. 00 1-671-6499582.

6) Personal conflicts between pilot-mechanic-captains are cause for immediate dismissal. Settle all disagreements yourselves and peacefully.

7) Orders for alcoholic beverages will be limited to two (2) bottles of hard liquor or two (2) cases of beers. We are having too many complaints of excessive drinking. Any complaints from captains about excessive drinking are cause for immediate dismissal, and you will be charged for all cost involved for your replacement.

8 ) Any complaints about the helicopter and/or supply of parts should be directed to Hansen Helicopters and not the Captain of the boat. Violation of these instructions will be ground for immediate termination.

9) Hansen Helicopters has been taken advantage on many times by people needing advances. If you need money in order to make the trip, a personal loan will be arranged. We are not a bank, but if we are going to made to function like one, we will do business in the same manner that they do. Some kind of collateral will be required for any personal loan. Loan will be made at the beginning of the contract. Anything after that, go to the bank.

10) There have been four instances in the last 5 years when a new pilot has gone on a boat for the first time, apparently not realizing that he is going to be away from his mommy for the first time. The trouble always starts 7 to 10 days after the boat leaves. The first thing we hear is a radio call that either the person is (sick, has a dire emergency at home, or is afraid that one of the crew members is going to kill him). The person then refuses to work anymore. These forces us to find a replacement, get him to wherever he can meet the boat, and try to humor the captain of the boat, and its owner. If you are not happy with your situation, please have the courtesy to tell us before the boat leaves so that we do not have all of the down time. If you do not, and go on the trip, and then decide to go home, we will definitely take you to court and recover all of our expenses. This will not be good for either party, so please finish what you start.

11) A "trip" starts and ends in Guam. A return to Guam for emergency purposes is normally not the end of the trip. The Captain of the boat will tell you when the trip has been completed. We will not replace pilots until the end of the trip or end of contract. There will be no exceptions to this.

12) Flight duration not to exceed 2 hours. This is strictly enforced.

13) One (1) passenger only.

14) No night flying!!! I've received reports that some of you are doing this. I want this stopped.

15) Aircraft should be ready to fly when the captain ask (within 5 minutes).

16) Don't depend on rain to remove all the salt spray from the helicopter.

17) The helicopter can and should be landed on the deck gently. The controlled crash theory is bullsht.

18) After a reasonable length of time, a pilot should be able to land on the boat while the boat is travelling full speed.

19) Helicopters will easily hover downwind. However, downwind take off's and landings are unacceptable.

20) Only one (1) radio beacon to be carried.

21) Call the shop by SSB when the ship is headed to port for discharging. (So we can get your mail and beer to you sooner.)

22) Don't let the crew paint the helicopter when they paint the boat.

23) If the ship runs out of water for helo washing, call HH ASAP.

24) Shut down the engine before refueling. No hot refueling.

25) No landing on islands or airport without HH permission.

26) Do not land on water unless it is an emergency.

27) Send weekly trend check/Hobbs time and total flight time for the month.

28) Maximum allowable downtime for maintenance. Two days.

29) Change engine when TOT reaches 700°C.

30) Balance the Tail rotor every 50 hours.

31) Use of satellite phone on the boat for personal call will be deducted from your salary except calls to Hansen. Avoid using the phone. It's expensive!

32) Don't miss the boat.
blackstump
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby blackstump » Tue Oct 4 2011, 22:49

Goodaye Luka
was there 11 years ago my comments were as it was then
no more to say really
cheers
bs
rightfit
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby rightfit » Thu Oct 6 2011, 08:49

A friend of mine went out recently and was told hansens are always looking aparently they have some new contracts and will be requiring about 5 or 6 more very soon why not put in a cv and see where it leads.
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Fri Oct 7 2011, 23:00

Don't let the crew paint the chopper when they paint the boat.

That's bloody priceless as obviously it's happened.....

I want a photo!
Luka
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Luka » Sun Oct 9 2011, 06:35

On a sad note, a pilot was killed in the last few days tuna spotting. He was flying an R44 and drowned after impacting the water. The spotter survived.

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”