Confined Area Mnemonics

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Confined Area Mnemonics

Postby bangequalsbad » Tue Nov 22 2011, 06:49

Trailing edge wrote:As for "you took off from somewhere.................." things change, how far have you flown? fuel burn. elevation and temperature changes, wind changing in strength and direction etc.

And being a good aviator, you noticed, PLANNED, and are REACTING to your changing workspace. (c:_ol

The "plan" should be formed in a "controlled" environment (planning room), using available information (MET, Performance Tables, other pilots, customer info on site/s) before takeoff. The flying is done in an "uncontrolled" (waiting for the digs here...) environment where, well, s**t happens. The MET changes...Barry got the spot wrong...the list goes on. Don't get me wrong TE, having a list is cool, I have a list, but it's a simple list because I'm a simple man :D

WIND, WIRES, IN, SPOT, OUT.

Bang=Bad
NZHelo
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby NZHelo » Tue Nov 22 2011, 07:35

bangequalsbad wrote:
Trailing edge wrote:As for "you took off from somewhere.................." things change, how far have you flown? fuel burn. elevation and temperature changes, wind changing in strength and direction etc.

And being a good aviator, you noticed, PLANNED, and are REACTING to your changing workspace. (c:_ol

The "plan" should be formed in a "controlled" environment (planning room), using available information (MET, Performance Tables, other pilots, customer info on site/s) before takeoff. The flying is done in an "uncontrolled" (waiting for the digs here...) environment where, well, s**t happens. The MET changes...Barry got the spot wrong...the list goes on. Don't get me wrong TE, having a list is cool, I have a list, but it's a simple list because I'm a simple man :D

WIND, WIRES, IN, SPOT, OUT.

Bang=Bad

What are you referring to when you say "SPOT", yes I realise that you mean the area you are wanting to land in but is that what you say to yourself......SPOT....*while you are licking the windows*
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Wed Nov 23 2011, 07:51

cassidy_copter wrote:Skywork wrote, "Stick to the basics, with all the stuff being written up here half the time you would never have time to fly the aircraft"

I could not agree with him more.

cassidy_copter wrote:I don't say any of that crap, talking to my self nor praying to God, when flying. I just focus on flying. I merely recall my training and focus on the job of aircraft control and maintaining situational awareness. You got to know your aircraft, what it can and can't do, on the day, at that location. You've got to know the main rotor diameter and length of the aircraft, pace it off, know what your aircraft can fit into.

cassidy...you put words to my thoughts...thanks champ.

NZHelo wrote: but is that what you say to yourself......SPOT....*while you are licking the windows*

As above NZ
I don't say any of that crap when flying. I just fly. I hope you aren't wwwssss while you have pax on...or at least you have the sense to isolate your mic... :P
crb246

Postby crb246 » Tue Dec 25 2012, 21:02

AWOTFEEL

A- ALTITUDE FOR RECON
W-WIND DIRECTION
O- OBSTACLES/OBSTRUCTIONS
T-TURBULENCE
F-FORCED LANDING AREAS
E-ENTRY
E-EXIT
L-LANDING ZONE SUITABILITY (SIZE, SLOPE, DIRT/SNOW, DEBRIS, GRASS, ETC)
Vorticey
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Vorticey » Thu Dec 27 2012, 05:56

As some of the guys are saying, It doesnt have to be so hard to remember, you'll also find everyone will do it differently. I dont realy have a numonic but just do the logical things as they come up.....
I do an orbit at the hight of the highest power poles in the vecinity, remember you will need to do a full 360 to make sure you have all the wires. then a lower orbit might be nessesary in a tight spot to asses the hight of bushes for your tail, to identify dead trees (they are difficult to see from above) and your way in and out. In the orbit you can also pickup the wind by the amount of power you pull, highest being downwind as you will be doing a constant ground speed when your looking at the spot. If you run out of power as you fly down wind and need to nose it along faster then you know you canot hover out of ground effect. If your worried about your power margin you can always approach to a hover above the trees and see what you have left on the limiting gauge (10% would be realy nice for a bit of reduced wind behind the trees), if you start decending on a limit in or before you get to a hover then you know you probly wont get out of there. I approach in a turn so i can see exactly where i need to put my blades and tail right out my window, not by looking around the dash and through the chin bubble as you would if you were coming strait in. Fly the tail rotor to its spot then try and put it down, if you run out of cyclic its too much slope. The important thing is not moving the tail once your in, if you need to move slightly keep the tail where it is.
Not sure if this is realy what your looking for so feel free to let me know and im sure there will be guys telling me how crap of a pilot i am too.
professionally unprofessional
harold
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby harold » Thu Dec 27 2012, 09:54

PSWAT
PERMISSION
PILOT
POWER
SIZE
SHAPE
SURFACE
SURROUNDS
SHADOWS
SUN
SLOPE
WIND
WIRES
APPROACH
ABORT POINT
ANIMALS
TERMINATION POINT
TAKE OFF
rotors99
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby rotors99 » Thu Dec 27 2012, 14:28

Alrighty then I'll bight too;
(As taught to me by Tub & Ian on my FI course too many Moons ago)
S size, shape, surface, slope, sun, sex, surround
W wind, wires
A approach & departure profile (markers for same)
T termination point, on final keep focus ROD, escape options, obsticals , new surprises etc be ready to go around - Don't loose translation till over the pad
vortexstate
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby vortexstate » Fri Dec 28 2012, 04:48

One point that I neglected to see during all these worth while acronyms is the crutial decision point on finals and departure.
The pilot has to decide at some point to safely continue with a landing or departure, or must a go-around or aborted deparure be conducted.
Numerous pionts like speed, angle, flight path could alter the final decision for a safe operation.

I personaly use and teach PSWAT Checks.......

Power Check
Size, Shape, Surrounds, Slope,Surface (working from the outer pad to the landing zone)
Wind,Wires
Approach,Departure
Termination Point

When instructing, the student has enough on their mind during initial sessions of C/A operations. As they improve with further training they can then alter and advance the routine to personally suit their best thought pattern.
Vorticey
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Vorticey » Sat Dec 29 2012, 00:57

vortexstate, so where's your decission point you asked for?
You can decide against a landing at any time untill you have the collective all the way down. If you dont have enough power to fly out of the site your flying into then you will start using it all up on your approach as long as your slow and steady, the time you abort is when your starting to hit the last 10% (round about) of your power left on the gauges, after that you pretty much know your going to have to land and let some weight out.
professionally unprofessional

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”