b47 'notchy' collective

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!
chocolate
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

b47 'notchy' collective

Postby chocolate » Tue Jun 12 2012, 12:26

Throttle feel goes from smooth turning to notchy when friction ring applied. Trying to apply a little friction as too easy to roll on or off too far at present. Assume a part is worn but which one? At the top of the collective handle or at floor end? Or an adjustment further back? Gb31.
(Yes will be getting a lame to chech it out...just want to learn how it works). Has anyone else struck thus problem?
Ag-Rotor
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: b47 'notchy' collective

Postby Ag-Rotor » Tue Jun 12 2012, 12:34

Flying a G3BI and any other Bell 47 for that matter is all about pre-emted throtle control with your hand....you don't control the throtle with friction Knob.. :o
Big Unit
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Big Unit » Tue Jun 12 2012, 23:37

Ag-Rotor wrote:Flying a G3BI and any other Bell 47 for that matter is all about pre-emted throtle control with your hand....you don't control the throtle with friction Knob

Well that certainly answered the question the bloke asked. Very politican like....Answered everything but the question.
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Wed Jun 13 2012, 00:48

Chocolate what you might find is tht the friction ring is sticking against the throttle and as you wind on throttle the friction is increasing. We had this with one of the 47's I flew (was a J model, same running gear though). Got the engineers to take a look and the problem went away.

Cheers
ET
Ag-Rotor
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Ag-Rotor » Wed Jun 13 2012, 01:53

The friction is not comming on as Chocolate winds the throtle on....he is frictioning the throtle prior to using the throtle because of stated limited contol of correct RPM with the light throtle, and then asking why its notchy and hard to use.....a little more practise and problem-o solved.
May I just add that you should not be using the friction on the throtle as you need a very free throtle in a Bell 47 as you have to flick out the slack between power on and power off and be in a pre-emptive mind set of your power requirements or you will allways be chasing correct RPM and be forever over or under speeding the engine.
Mick White
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Mick White » Wed Jun 13 2012, 02:30

Ag-Rotor is on the money !
kh4
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby kh4 » Wed Jun 13 2012, 03:06

Hey Chocolate,
I can appreciate your problem having done some long ferry flights in a KH4 and I always used frictions to give both my left leg and arm a break. 2.5hr legs cramped in the front of a KH4 you need all the freedom you can get. Not much pre-emptive mind setting or power management required there.. I think the evil twin is onto it...
Cheers
Ag-Rotor
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Ag-Rotor » Wed Jun 13 2012, 04:27

Not sure I would put it out there as axceptable practice to friction up the throtle in a 47 or KH4 in a ferry and take your hand off it......whilst recieving the most basic of training on 47 type aircraft, this would have been pointed out as complete no no. A gust of wind will jam that collective up to the stop quicker than you can blink and recovery nigh on impossible.
Spellbound
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Spellbound » Wed Jun 13 2012, 10:52

Chocolate, from my experience there has been play from the throttle grip right through to the correlator box in all of these types I have flown( reasonably normal ) I think in a lot of cases the correlator box is the worst offender for play I think.
As for the use of the throttle & friction in these types, Ag-Rotor is right on the money, as for kh4’s comment, hmmmm...............
If sky pig is about he might be able to fill you in on what these machines are capable of I believe!!
Robinsondog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Robinsondog » Wed Jun 13 2012, 20:23

and be in a pre-emptive mind set of your power requirements

Sounds like those pre-selector gear boxes from the new fangled motor vee-hickles of around 1920 vintage.

To figure those things out might make it easier to fly a B47.
muppet
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby muppet » Thu Jun 14 2012, 00:44

"I can appreciate your problem having done some long ferry flights in a KH4 and I always used frictions to give both my left leg and arm a break. 2.5hr legs cramped in the front of a KH4 "

2.5 hours? You doing extra wide circuits KH4?
(sorry, couldn't resist a little dig..)
kh4
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby kh4 » Thu Jun 14 2012, 01:00

Good on Ya Muppet.. you too busy flying turbines these days to slum with us lonely petrol heads.. as for the other 10 and 2 drivers.. what can i say..(gerrells)
Cheers
Ag-Rotor
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Ag-Rotor » Thu Jun 14 2012, 02:25

What are you saying KH4.... ( gerrells ) .... would you have been up there in the Top End during the late 80's through the 90's with us mustering and shooting in 47's and KH4's....reckon we would know how to use a throtle in one of these mchines.
chocolate
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby chocolate » Thu Jun 14 2012, 10:12

Thank y all for the replies.

Ag. Was the 47 ok to shoot from or too much vibration for the shootr?
Tony Carmody
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Tony Carmody » Thu Jun 14 2012, 10:21

It was great to shoot from:

http://brumbyhelicopters.com.au/thetc.htm

TC :)
Ag-Rotor
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Ag-Rotor » Thu Jun 14 2012, 12:34

Very smooth shooting platform, all of our engineers made sure they did a good job of track and ballancing.

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”