Emergency experiences

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!
Jackal

Emergency experiences

Postby Jackal » Fri Mar 13 2015, 05:34

Hey,

Can anybody give me examples of any emergencies they or friends have experienced.. Tell me what happened, what they did to get back safely. Feel free to PM.

Ta Jackal
iPilot
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Emergency experiences

Postby iPilot » Fri Mar 13 2015, 09:46

Went to this shocking Indian restaurant one night, the next day..... 2500ft in a small confined space..... bad juju
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Fri Mar 13 2015, 10:13

Been there myself iPilot. All windows open thank you....
iPilot
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby iPilot » Fri Mar 13 2015, 11:11

Windows open in a '44, I wish!
Jackal

Postby Jackal » Sat Mar 14 2015, 10:51

That sounds horrible. Did you seek counselling?
bigglesbutler
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bigglesbutler » Sat Mar 14 2015, 10:58

I could fall into the same trap about flying in a goon bag on the north sea and using ram air to ventilate toxic air from the suit with the exit pointed at the poor sod next to me....................... but I won't.

Suffice to say I thought I was going to ditch an AS332 in the north sea in Autumn but managed to limp back to the platform we had just departed 8 minutes ago. The one over riding memory I have is the bloke that slept through it all, apparently my brief over the PA wasn't attention getting enough. I now have my brief preceded by "ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION" to try and get said attention, if they sleep through that then god help em. I am deliberately keeping the details of that memory quiet on a public forum not because I am hiding anything I just choose to share with people I meet in person, sorry.

Si
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Mon Mar 16 2015, 10:24

Biggles, I had a similar experience, but in a training jet. We were programmed for a high-altitude nav on a Friday morning, after a big Dining-In Night on Thursday with lots of rich food, gassy beer, port wine, and untold other snorts. Not politically correct these days, but in the 70s it wasn't unheard of to front up to morning briefing still in the mess kit, unshaven, hadn't slept, and full of bad manners. I wasn't that bad, just a big hangover and a rumbly gut.

We launch off, and as the cabin altimeter winds up, the oxygen system changes from using only cabin air, to mixing it with oxygen. The pressure drops. Trapped gases expand. Expanding gases have only one way out, but I reckoned that filtering it through the parachute and dinghy pack will take the edge off it.
Bong.
Wrong.
It is putrid, so I quickly switch my oxy regulator to 100% oxy to exclude the cabin air. I said to the student, "Bloggs! You'd better go to 100%!"
"Roger, Sir!" and he selected the throttle to 100% power.
I said to myself, "Self! He will work it out soon".
A few moments later I hear him gag and hear the change in sound as he selects 100% oxygen.

Not an emergency for me, but almost for him.

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”