Importing

Need a hand? Try the *Forum FAQ* link at the top. Failing that, post a question here.
choppermech1986
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Importing

Postby choppermech1986 » Thu Oct 7 2010, 22:49

Check your PM's guys. Good luck.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Fri Oct 8 2010, 01:49

haven't got anything yet mate :? standing by............. :?:

thanks got it now :D be in touch. 8)
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Postby black duck » Fri Oct 8 2010, 10:57

stixtime wrote:A black duck and a pegasus having a baby together. I wander what that will look like.

I'm really dying to answer that, but in the interest of self preservation :( I best not :roll: would have been good though! :D
"It's wabbit seathon! It' duck seathon! I dare you to shoot me now!"
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Postby black duck » Fri Oct 8 2010, 11:19

choppermech1986 wrote:Check your PM's guys. Good luck.

Thanks old mate, will let you know how we get on.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Fri Oct 8 2010, 19:46

black duck wrote:
stixtime wrote:A black duck and a pegasus having a baby together. I wander what that will look like.

I'm really dying to answer that, but in the interest of self preservation :( I best not :roll: would have been good though! :D

Oh No, don't let me (fear) stand in your way Black Duck.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

You will have plenty of time to compose your answer......its a Long walk from the airport........... :P
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Sun Dec 5 2010, 20:07

Time for an Update :D

Our newest addition to the family and our first USA import is due to make port in Oz on the 1.1.11. :D Nice way to kick off the new year, with a new Aircraft, I think Xmas day will pale considerably beside news years day this year in the anticipated stakes. :lol:

We ended up using a local Ozzie company for the dismantling, packing and shipping. (anyone wanting more details please PM me), They have been a pleasure to deal with, have corresponded and kept in touch throughout the whole process, and kept everything as simple as possible. The added bonus of friendly customer service, and a quote that came in significantly less that we where expecting was icing on the cake.

They also handle the whole process including arranging for the aircraft to be put back together and certified through CASA if you require that as well, however we had already organized our own LAME, so chose to go that way instead.

Export CoA while not required by CASA, was advised by both them (and now us) and the FAA as being a cost saving idea, highlighting any potential issues, but more importantly it creates an easy to follow paper trail. Trying to get documents on maintenance on your aircraft once its left the USA and been de-registered from them is something akin to a logistical night mare and very hard on the wallet too.

Helothere keep an eye out early Jan, as she is being put back together not far from you, how's your Tail Dragger Endorsement these days? :)
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Sun Dec 5 2010, 21:10

Pegs wrote:...how's your Tail Dragger Endorsement these days? :)

Don't have one, yet...

James May of Top Gear... wrote:...And it didn’t end there. At the airfield, I uncovered my Luscombe 8 monoplane, an American-built machine of 1946 vintage. In its time, it was a radical aeroplane, the first all-metal light aircraft, something that could live outdoors without fear of the wings rotting away or anything like that. It is in excellent condition and has been rigorously serviced for its entire life, as you would demand of an aircraft.

I spent the usual half-a-lifetime on my pre-flight checks, fuelled up, strapped in and ran through the start-up procedure. The 100hp air-cooled flat four roared into lustful life. I taxied to the end of the runway, did some more checks for full power, oil pressure and all the rest of it and then opened the throttle.

Halfway down the runway, I was rewarded with what I regard as a porthole to the sublime; a view of a perfect English heaven, seen through the screen of a classic aeroplane in the moment it lifts from the grass at the historic White Waltham airfield. And then, at 800 feet, the engine cut out. Not permanently – it just faltered for a few seconds and then picked up again – but even so, I very nearly soiled myself. Five minutes later, I was back on the deck covering it up again.

The message here is really quite simple. All this old stuff is rubbish. None of it works properly. After almost a whole day of fart-arsing around with machinery, I was forced to conclude that the only dependable things in my life are an Italian car and a British motorcycle. No one would have bet on that.

And here’s the advice. Buy one new car, any car, and use that for everything. Then you can devote the rest of your life to something useful.

Extract from http://www.topgear.com/uk/james-may/jam ... 2007-09-01

Words of wisdom which somehow seem to pass me by for nostalgia. I have the latest model Kingswood and my house is 130 years old. Where's that fixed wing instructors number...
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Sun Dec 5 2010, 21:53

ROFL :lol: plenty of time yet mate, should be ready to fly about the end of Jan... Fancy some bog laps round that lil airstrip down the rd from you? :D

the beauty of owning an Antique aircraft, we have the honor of owning the oldest aircraft on the airfield down here, and only the 3rd one in Oz and the only 8E I am led to believe. Just before being packed up, the ole girl flew 3000 miles across the United States to get to the port we had to ship her from, pilot had only good things to say about her, though there was a chilling moment when a light plane crash was recorded on the news on the same day and route she was taking :shock: a few anxious hours before we where informed 'not our bird' :D

we got to get her back across the ditch too, that should be a fun flying trip. Bit of island hoping coming up. :)
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Sun Dec 5 2010, 22:17

Pegs wrote:...Fancy some bog laps round that lil airstrip down the rd from you? :D

Yep, bog laps at Bob's sounds great.

Pegs wrote:...we got to get her back across the ditch too, that should be a fun flying trip. Bit of island hoping coming up. :)

You can have that! Too few engines to get me anywhere near the wet stuff, especially the cold wet stuff...
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Sun Dec 5 2010, 22:51

right, your on.

and Helothere where is your sense of adventure hmmm? you have a current HUET don't you? :twisted:
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Mon Dec 6 2010, 00:33

Pegs wrote:...you have a current HUET don't you? :twisted:

Yes. HELICOPTER Underwater Escape Training. Not YDFOOBSIBSET! (You Dang Fool Out Over Bass Strait In a Bug Smasher Escape Training).
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Mon Dec 6 2010, 00:34

:lol: :lol: :lol: Gasping.... ROFL... nice reply :lol:

made my day :P
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Postby black duck » Mon Dec 6 2010, 10:03

[quote="helothere] Words of wisdom which somehow seem to pass me by for nostalgia. I have the latest model Kingswood and my house is 130 years old. Where's that fixed wing instructors number...[/quote]
Hang on! this is from the same bloke who questioned my taste in somewhat mature machinery! hmmm?
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Postby black duck » Mon Dec 6 2010, 10:04

helothere wrote:
Pegs wrote:...you have a current HUET don't you? :twisted:

Yes. HELICOPTER Underwater Escape Training. Not YDFOOBSIBSET! (You Dang Fool Out Over Bass Strait In a Bug Smasher Escape Training).

Now that is funny :lol: I dare you to smash any bugs in a Luscombe!!
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Postby black duck » Sat Apr 30 2011, 08:16

It’s all happening in the arrivals department! Baby, plane, BILLS!!! :shock: The little tacka is sitting in Tyabb at the moment (the plane not the baby! :roll: ) waiting for a funds injection to continue with it.
The importing adventure was an interesting one, with quite a few traps for young players. Thanks to Choppermech's advise we managed to avoid most of them.
If you’re going to do it definitely go and look for yourself or have someone you trust look at it and take a LAME with you. We were a bit lucky in that respect, I wasn't able to have a look at it so we took a bit of punt with a local A&P. I was told of one experience where an a/c had been imported by someone with a lot of experience importing this particular type, nice looking machine when it arrived, it was full of corrosion and basically a write off. Paint can hide a lot of sins.
What we got was a un restored sixty year old aircraft so there were no real surprises. The main thing, there was no corrosion.
An export Cof A is a must, we'd asked for one to be done but it wasn't, so that created a major pain in the arse, chasing up paper work and making sure all ad's had been complied with. The export Cof A is important. Their idea of airworthy and ours are totally different. When we bought the a/c, it had just had a 100 hourly done and was running around with a prop that had no paperwork!!!
Get yourself a good importer, this is a must! It’ll save you a lot of expense and heartache!! C&H freight in Melbourne were great.
Speaking of expense it is not a cheap exercise, by the time you’ve got it here and it’s on the register your better off buying one that’s here!
I went this way because I particularly wanted a Luscombe and of course as soon as I’d paid for it 2 turn up for sale in Aus!! )c/ Anyway the old fart is here now it’s up to this old fart to get it together! :D
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Postby black duck » Sat Apr 30 2011, 08:45

Birth classes "the delivery"
Receiving some timely advise on hygene from the dear mother in law! :roll:
Knitting...sweet!!! :D

Return to “How do I...”