Importing

Need a hand? Try the *Forum FAQ* link at the top. Failing that, post a question here.
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Importing

Postby black duck » Sat Oct 2 2010, 23:23

Has anyone imported a machine from the States lately? I am looking for a reputable shipping agent and was wondering if there’s any that could be recommended. Could be a bit more of this with the dollar going up (go baby!! :D )
Cheers, BD.
"It's wabbit seathon! It' duck seathon! I dare you to shoot me now!"
overboost
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Importing

Postby overboost » Sat Oct 2 2010, 23:45

G'day BD,

I have been considering doing the same thing for a while, with my limited research I have found that if you are serious about doing it you are better off going to the states and being witness to the company pulling down your machine to get it in a container then let them organise the shipping. It seems that alot of the companies that sell helicopters etc are set up for exporting and have a list of reputable companies that will do it. Would saves alot of heartache and can be rolled into the purchase price...

But I would be very interested to see what info comes out of this forum as I am by no means an expert...

Cheers,
choppermech1986
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby choppermech1986 » Sun Oct 3 2010, 01:13

Where abouts in the States? I've pulled a few machines across lately, in fact, I'm getting my next 2 aircraft off the wharf tomorrow, and your best bet is probably out of California. I have handled everything myself and have a pretty good system with some good contacts. There are a few guys who do fixed wing quite regularly and they know the best way to go about it. OB'ing is correct, it is best if you can go and handle the transaction yourself. You will want a pre-purchase inspection carried out by someone you trust, probably the engineer you will have putting it back together, that means 2 return flights to the USA with meals and accomodation for both. Do a liens check and make sure it has an Export Certificate of Airworthiness before it leaves the country, so expect to have about US$1000 go towards that. The closer to port, the better as inland freight can get expensive when they detect an accent. There are a few other tricks of the trade but if you want to PM me, I'd be happy for you to give me a call.

Lastly, it's never as cheap as you expect it to be.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Sun Oct 3 2010, 01:32

choppermech1986 wrote:Where abouts in the States? I've pulled a few machines across lately, in fact, I'm getting my next 2 aircraft off the wharf tomorrow, and your best bet is probably out of California. I have handled everything myself and have a pretty good system with some good contacts. There are a few guys who do fixed wing quite regularly and they know the best way to go about it. OB'ing is correct, it is best if you can go and handle the transaction yourself. You will want a pre-purchase inspection carried out by someone you trust, probably the engineer you will have putting it back together, that means 2 return flights to the USA with meals and accomodation for both. Do a liens check and make sure it has an Export Certificate of Airworthiness before it leaves the country, so expect to have about US$1000 go towards that. The closer to port, the better as inland freight can get expensive when they detect an accent. There are a few other tricks of the trade but if you want to PM me, I'd be happy for you to give me a call.

Lastly, it's never as cheap as you expect it to be.

Choppermech, thanks that info is apreciated, we where aware of the export certificate, but not the liens check......
The aircraft is located in Arizona......... I think BD will pm you he has all the relevant details rather then me at the moment,
thanks
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
Freewheel
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Freewheel » Sun Oct 3 2010, 01:51

Depends on what you're trying to import.

For example, if you're trying to import 3 kilos of snuff, Bali's not the ideal destination......

More seriously, lots of small, light items are probably fine, but there's all sorts of duties, levies and taxes to be taken into account, not always at the destination end. These can apply to some or all of the product and can depend on where it comes from.

In general, not really a road to endless honey and gold, but you can make the odd spectacular saving if the planets align for you. As importers of product will sometimes tell you, the perfect time can turn into the wrong time very quickly, through no fault of your own.

Good luck!
Never forget that some people exist purely as a warning to others.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Sun Oct 3 2010, 01:54

Freewheel :D

the product to be imported would be a single engine Aircraft. That will fit into a 20foot container once stripped down. Yes I heard Bali was unhealthy for some imports, :lol: lucky we live in OZ hey?
Freewheel
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Freewheel » Sun Oct 3 2010, 02:04

Pegs,

Any further questions, just shoot! :P

For a one-off, assuming it's second hand (or rather used) it shouldn't attract any or many of the additionals, but then you have the regulator to deal with.....

Once again, good luck!
Never forget that some people exist purely as a warning to others.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Sun Oct 3 2010, 02:53

ha ha, well as Black duck said above, we are chasing any reputable Freight companies to obtain quotes off, so if anyone has used one and can recomend them please forward their details to either Black Duck or me, that would be very much appreciated. Yes the arcraft is a second hand, so we shouldn't have to worry about duty tax etc. Its on the FAA civil reg too, so that will hopefully make things a bit eaiser (full logs etc)

Choppermech, it apears I have been hand balled the frieght chasing after all (thanks BD :P ) so I will PM.

It has just had a 100hrly done, with no issues so I don't expect the Export certificate to be a big deal. Also will require shipping insurance. Anyway as I said any recomendations or points to be aware off, advice etc, please feel free to post or pm.
cheers
Pegs :cool_dc:
choppermech1986
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby choppermech1986 » Sun Oct 3 2010, 03:34

I can't remember rightly but I recall you need the Export CoA carried out within 30 or 60 days of an annual inspection. http://www.the dark side.org/dg-p-general-avia ... craft.html has some good information, sorry Helothere for the blatant reference to the competition but ICBF'd putting it in my own words. Shipping insurance is offered by your shipping agent, usually runs around 0.5% of the total value of the container's contents. An aviation insurer will be able to get you the insurance for anything that isn't covered by the shipping company. Lastly, in your deal, get the aircraft delivered, with a fresh annual and export C of A to a shop that will export for you that is close to a port/railhead. If it costs you a few grand, you are getting a deal.

I can't stress this enough - get real friendly with the engineering shop of your choice, PM me for suggestions. Any shop worth their salt has done this before, they know the process and if you turn up with an aircraft in a container wanting them to put it back together for a dime, they will be rightly annoyed. Keep them in the loop, ask and value their opinions and be prepared to pay accordingly for their time. If they find that something needs to be changed/done (hoses, radio install, work on an engine that could still be under warranty) it could cost you $2000 in the states or $5000 in Australia, you can see how it could save you big $ in the long term.
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Postby black duck » Sun Oct 3 2010, 06:02

Thanks for the info Choppermech, freewheel and overboost, ok here goes, it's a ........(drum roll).......Luscombe 46 8E.... :|.......as we wait for the laughter to die down!! :D . I've been doing a bit of digging around and so far I've found out that the 30 day limit for a export CoA doesn't apply anymore, they changed it in April, So an export CoA can be issued with a valid CoA. I'm Talking to Rotorfx at the moment and they seem to have their act together. The're out of Van Nuy's in L.A.,so thats handy and it's only 400 nm from where the a/c is. So far there quoting (roughy) about $3600 to have it in a box ready to go with all the I's crossed and the "T"'s dotted. I'm pretty happy with that. Had an annual three weeks ago, a thorough going over including blood pressure and PROSTATE?????oops sorry, wrong piece of paper, where was I :oops: I'm getting some help over there from a mob that know Luscombes inside out, so that's a bonus. As for the local LAME, Pegs is off to grease him up as we speak! CA$A, Customs and Taxation are the Unknowns and it's generally how they feel on the day whenever I've dealt with them. I'll let you know how we get on as things progress! :roll:
Last edited by black duck on Sun Oct 3 2010, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
"It's wabbit seathon! It' duck seathon! I dare you to shoot me now!"
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Sun Oct 3 2010, 06:13

Black Duck As for the local LAME, Pegs is off to grease him up as we speak!

Pfft, that's what you think!! I have just settled in to watch the footy :P Bring on the beer and BBQ chips! :lol: Luscombe can wait....... :D
Aladinsane
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Aladinsane » Sun Oct 3 2010, 07:25

An export C of A is not a pre-requisite to obtaining an Australian import C of A.

Check with the delegate who is going to issue the import coa as some do not give much credence to export c of a's. Understandably so from my experience.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Sun Oct 3 2010, 11:21

Over the years ive imported and exported a couple of machines. A fun/ exhilarating and somewhat nervy process especially when buyers purchase sight unseen from overseas!!

You will find that even with a Import CofA your engineering dept will still have to do a CASA CofA.Importing or exporting from the americas / europe in a 40ft container will genrally cost 25-35k depending. be aware if importing equipment packed in wooden boxes this will be subject to fumigation prior to release on the dock, again extra $$

Exporting again is upto buyer/seller to work the deal regards to purchase price including shipping or excluding. the seller generally offers an option to pack and ship in the deal. funds between foreign parties should be secured via escrow holding and relaesed as milestone payments upon receiving bills of lading, bill of sale, shipping details.

Most important take an engineer with you spend a day or two with log books veriflying serial numbers on parts, ask them to remove panels if need be. it can be a very rewarding and sometimes profiting experience however "caveat emptor!!" :D
Last edited by Twistgrip on Sun Oct 3 2010, 15:10, edited 3 times in total.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sun Oct 3 2010, 11:24

good time to be buying from the states in any event with the $AUD the way it is at the moment..
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Mon Oct 4 2010, 08:17

thanks everyone for your replies, some very helpful stuff in there which is most appreciated. Right now we have just had all the required export/USA checks done and bill of sale forwarded etc, all has passed and now just waiting on the export CoFA, which as mentioned above is not ness, but does make it easier and quicker this end. We have ended up going with Rotor FX for the transport, they are quite reasonable, and no hassels getting the aircraft to them/stipped/boxed etc.

Twist grip thanks for the tip on the wooden boxes too, noted that one, was a very useful piece of info I didn't think of!

Aladinsane you are quite correct, however I am told by CASA it is prefered, and makes things go a lot quicker at this end.

We did have some scary moments where a registration check realized that the aircraft had never been changed out of the previous owner's details :shock: from when it was last sold a yr ago, however we where able to contact the old owner, and have the bill of sale changed to reflect the new details for ownership, rather than stress CASA out with 2 lots of Bills of sale for one aircraft, two owners both in another country etc etc! :roll:

still a few minor details to iron out CASA wise, and import tax as well, so will see how we go with those, and advise etc as we know. Deposit now paid, so here she comes! :D :D :D

Just as a further note for celebration Black Duck and I are now expecting a baby as well :wink: as with Capt' Hollywood 3 months is up so safe to tell people now........ :)
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Mon Oct 4 2010, 08:30

a photo..... :wink: (appolgies to any anti fixed wing peoples out there)

stixtime
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby stixtime » Mon Oct 4 2010, 09:19

A black duck and a pegasus having a baby together. I wander what that will look like.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Mon Oct 4 2010, 09:22

:lol:

I wish HeliMan was here right now... Mod
PacAvia

Postby PacAvia » Wed Oct 6 2010, 03:52

We've been exporting aircraft to Asia and Oz for the past 10 years and can get you sorted without a trip to the states. We ship out of Oakland and will make sure all is done right from the C of A to making sure the wood is certified. Can even have someone ferry your bird from AZ to CA. References in OZ are available on request. pacavia@gmail.com
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Wed Oct 6 2010, 22:33

PacAvia wrote:We've been exporting aircraft to Asia and Oz for the past 10 years and can get you sorted without a trip to the states. We ship out of Oakland and will make sure all is done right from the C of A to making sure the wood is certified. Can even have someone ferry your bird from AZ to CA. References in OZ are available on request. pacavia@gmail.com

email sent. thanks for the reply. Choppermech it would appear that we are still in the market for quotes re shipping etc, so should you still have a list of company's you would like to share please feel free to forward/pm me them.

cheers
Pegs

Return to “How do I...”