L3 vs AS350B

Need a hand? Try the *Forum FAQ* link at the top. Failing that, post a question here.
Finny
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

L3 vs AS350B

Postby Finny » Wed Jun 6 2012, 11:19

Just after some feed back on the L3 vs AS350B for general charter. Eg: Basic Operating cost's, Parts availability etc. I know these are totally different machines, but take out the forward facing seats of the AS350 as an advantage, what would be the most suitable machine for passenger transfers with most transfers averaging 4 pax and 60kg of baggage, based on performance, operating costs and value for money? All op's conducted below 3000ft AMSL
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: L3 vs AS350B

Postby bladepitch » Wed Jun 6 2012, 12:15

Flown both and think that for comfort the squirrel but operatings cost would have to go for longy I would suspect.
Parts aplenty for longy as well and you don't have to deal with eurocopter. From what I've seen they are a pain in the arse!

And cause it's the helo industry , anything that reduces operating costs and can do the same job is a must.

Keep in mind I dont pay the bills or see them I just fly them.
UnObvious
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby UnObvious » Wed Jun 6 2012, 13:36

Longy is easier to hangar. Squirrel is better for baggage, particularly if you get the cheeks, or even a ski basket.
100ft
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby 100ft » Wed Jun 6 2012, 22:37

I assume your talking about a straight B model with blue blades. The problem with the B model, is Gross weight. Its 4300lbs internal. If you get a b model well equipped it could weigh 2700- 2800lbs empty. That leaves a useful load around 1500lbs. THis is not great. 4pax x 200lbs=800 plus some bags 200lbs, = 1000lbs plus pilot say 200 = 1200. That leaves 300lbs for fuel or around 30% in the tank. The b model burn about 25% per hour. soooooooooo, your not going very far. The B model will fly awesome at 4300lbs, all day with lots of power to spare. In fact it will fly over gross very very well. It will blow the doors off an L3 for performance and ease of flying. I personnel like the B model to fly over a long buggy. But you just can't take very much fuel.

The cost, it will be a bit less than a B2 to operate. Maybe 10-15% less. Go with the long buggy, burns less fuel, more efficient people mover in that category. There are ski baskets for long buggies, if you need more cargo space.

my 2 cents
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Wed Jun 6 2012, 22:44

In fact it will fly over gross very very well.

Speaking from personal experience?

Don't be cheap, buy a BA or better. Don't fly an aircraft over MTOW, you're just ruining someone else's day (potentially life) down the track.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
100ft
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby 100ft » Wed Jun 6 2012, 23:51

The external limit for a B model is 4680lbs. It has no problem lifting up to max external at reasonable altitudes and temperatures. So yes is have flown an B essential over MTOW internal. :D.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Wed Jun 6 2012, 23:54

Thanks for clarifying. Terminology can be a bitch in translation sometimes.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
lexpilotnz

Postby lexpilotnz » Thu Jun 7 2012, 08:37

I would say a BA for the little extra cost you can do so much more, not much more to operate than a B model maybe $100 an hour max
Ian McMinn
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ian McMinn » Thu Jun 7 2012, 10:09

There are a lot of other decisions that might tip the scales either way.

A big one is maintenance provider, is there a maintenance provider tooled up for either A/C in your area.

If you get the T&B right on a 350, you can forget about it for years usually(main rotor anyway), not the case with a Longy.

If you did get a blue blade "B" although the maintenance will cost you will be increasing your asset if you "BA" it through component renewal.

The amount of turnover required to justify either aircraft V's the profit margin, you can't afford to get it wrong.

Aircraft are like boats, there are two great days that stick in an owners memory, the day you get it and the day you get rid of it.

Good luck.

Ian
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Thu Jun 7 2012, 22:53

If you are going to go for the eurocopter stuff, get it with out the turbomecca engine. It will drain the life out of any bank account you might have. A 350 with the lycoming engine is the way to go. It mainly means you have one less mob of french to deal with.

But having said that, go bell. As they say, "fly smart, fly Bell"
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!

Return to “How do I...”