Chinook In NSW for fires

What have you heard?
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Chinook In NSW for fires

Postby bangequalsbad » Thu Nov 19 2015, 04:22

I think the more speculative the operator has been, or the more over-capatilised the operation is, the louder the voice will be about "locals first" in this discussion. The RFS is playing operators like a piano here. All they have to do is spout a little about "worst dry year ever" and operators fall over themselves to gear up, not based on a long-term business plan, but to harvest the rewards. When it turns to custard...it's the foreign machines fault. If it turns out to be chaos...then there are lots of machines for the RFS to task. They always win.

Some pilots love mediums. Engineers love mediums. The RFS couldn't give a s**t. Restricted...civil...they don't care. When was the last time you saw a 205 used as troop transport in Aus? Nope...spud them in 3 at a time from a B3, or 4 at a time in a BK.

Any machine used for fires should be on "Contract". You either are a tier 1 supplier (the current NAFC contract machines) or a tier 2. Tier 2 are CWN machines that are based in areas and are launched once the tier 1's are busy/not appropriate. The RFS would have a binding agreement to use these machines before opening the gates to other machines. If you didn't get tier 2...you probably wouldn't go x-hire a machine you couldn't afford...and if you did...point your finger at the person in the mirror.

Banger.
kiwiflyer
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby kiwiflyer » Thu Nov 19 2015, 07:11

Whatever way you look at it and regardless weather you operate mediums, singles multi's it's a lot of money to invest in machinery and gear to try and make return on when you are essentially relying on a act of God to make that happen.
From what I can make out the helicopter operators in days gone by were self sustained commercial operators that done fire work if and when it happened.
Then throw in a few good back to back fire seasons and a flood season and there now seem to be companies and pilots for that matter that have come to rely on a good fire season for survival.
It may well suit some people to operate like that but personally I like to have a bit more security than that.
Because the RFS have a multitude of helicopters to pick from they arnt going to create more contracts.
Imagine if there was a helicopter shortage in NSW they would have to have contracts to get the helicopters to turn up......never going to happen I know.
Probably won't matter soon anyway because if the RFS keep going they way they will have there own air wing and there won't be any contracts.
That's prob another thread.
I'm happy to be corrected but if you rely wholly and solely on a good fire season with no contract then it must be some form of roulette
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Thu Nov 19 2015, 09:18

Should this thread be changed to "Dissent on the fires"?
Firefish
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Firefish » Thu Nov 19 2015, 19:45

Gearing up for the fire season without a contract isn't a very clever business plan. The RFS will always try and give local operators a sniff to keep them interested before the contract machines start. Maybe guys that aren't happy with their lot should try out for a gig with an operator with contracts?
Capt Slong
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Capt Slong » Mon Nov 30 2015, 20:56

image.jpg
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Tue Dec 1 2015, 05:47

"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Tue Dec 1 2015, 09:07

Anyone know where it will be based?
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby godfather007 » Tue Dec 1 2015, 10:04

Rumor says YSCN.

I may be wrong..
There is always an option.
edgebreak
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby edgebreak » Wed Dec 2 2015, 05:07

Looks like CHI's chook.
Pinnacle
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pinnacle » Wed Dec 2 2015, 07:02

^ yep confirm Construction helicopters
NZHelo
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby NZHelo » Wed Dec 2 2015, 11:22

bangequalsbad wrote:
When was the last time you saw a 205 used as troop transport in Aus?
Banger.

What operator in Australia has a 205?
BBwantok
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby BBwantok » Wed Dec 2 2015, 21:24

"What operator in Australia has a 205?"

Helicorp (Toll) had one. Belly-tank equipped in Vic.

Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Wed Dec 2 2015, 22:43

At the time Buzz aviation also had a civvy 205 on fires back in 2000 but its not in country anymore.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Thu Dec 3 2015, 03:58

NZHelo wrote:What operator in Australia has a 205?

Yeah fair call, you caught me lumping all the 205/212/412 family under the least common civilian type, but my point remains. Big expensive civilian airframe being solely used for bucketing (In NSW anyway, excluding the 2 Wildcat 412's, other states seem to have a better idea how to use them) when you could spend a s***load less and get a UH-1.

bounce bounce...splash splash...cha-ching! pop;

Banger.
LHS
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby LHS » Thu Dec 3 2015, 12:18

Banger,
that's the 3 Wildcat 412s.

Jacko.
TreeTrimmer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby TreeTrimmer » Thu Dec 3 2015, 12:55

"When was the last time you saw a 205 used as troop transport in Aus? "

I recall seeing Valhalla's 212 & Aeropower's 212S Eagle move quite a few crews during the 2013/14 season.
redline
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby redline » Thu Dec 3 2015, 21:04

Valhalla have a 205++ as well. Moved plenty of people during the couple of flood years

Better start looking for an alternate source of income boys, this season will be limited to 4-6 weeks max....and that's if your in the right place at the right time with the appropriate bribes paid to the appropriate people on the SAD.

Another beefed up Rfs fizzer !
NZHelo
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby NZHelo » Fri Dec 4 2015, 00:34

redline wrote:Valhalla have a 205++ as well. Moved plenty of people during the couple of flood years

Better start looking for an alternate source of income boys, this season will be limited to 4-6 weeks max....and that's if your in the right place at the right time with the appropriate bribes paid to the appropriate people on the SAD.

Another beefed up Rfs fizzer !

Summer is four days in mate. I suppose you believe in man made global warming with such a bold prediction
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Sat Dec 5 2015, 11:25

Summer is four days in mate. I suppose you believe in man made global warming with such a bold prediction

I have to agree with redline on his comment regarding the season or whats left of it. A profitable season would see you start in late September and go through till February, maybe March and I've even done fires in April. Thats just been my experience over a few seasons 8) .

Given current conditions and forecast IMHO operators could expect at best a 6-10 week window from now. pop;
Capt Slong
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Capt Slong » Sat Dec 5 2015, 20:12

Evidently Victoria is hot and dry at the moment.

Return to “I heard...”