EC225 cleared to fly

What have you heard?
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

EC225 cleared to fly

Postby Evil Twin » Fri Oct 7 2016, 22:45

https://www.oilandgaspeople.com/news/10 ... -measures/

EC225 cleared back into service however, grounding in UK and Norway remains in place.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: EC225 cleared to fly

Postby hand in pants » Fri Oct 7 2016, 22:56

I was going to say that I'd be reluctant to get back into one even though I've never even seen one in the flesh, but that footage of just the main rotor coming down to earth has stayed with me and I just wouldn't trust them again.
Good luck to those that fly them, I'm sure they will be okay.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Fri Oct 7 2016, 23:00

I am an ex-225 pilot. The checks that have been put in place are fairly significant and one would hope, could pick up a problem very early. But.... who knows...?
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Fri Oct 7 2016, 23:03

I'm sure they have done it to death. They manufacturer would want absolutely no issues from here on in and you have to trust somebody along the line or we'd all be walking.

But I think my bum would be sucked hard onto the seat for the first couple of months of flying.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Mustering Guru
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Mustering Guru » Fri Oct 7 2016, 23:38

Yeah they said they fixed it last time.

No thanks I would refuse to fly it.
FatBoy1971
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby FatBoy1971 » Sat Oct 8 2016, 13:25

Regardless of what EASA, Airbus or any other say, it will be the clients that decide whether the aircraft is used in the offshore role again.

It takes years to build a reputation, and only seconds to destroy it. Unfortunately, the EC225's reputation has been severely damaged.
To alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
Saucepan
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Saucepan » Sat Oct 8 2016, 13:48

It's a bit more political than that. It's strange how a machine that, let's face it, has had a very checkered career is still banned from flying in the UK. When the last Puma (or variant) went down in the North Sea killing 12 people it was the 4th incident in 10 years. The self loading freight then refused to board them. Time passed and it all became normal again now after the Norwegian incident it's unlikely it will fly in the North Sea. The politicians were under pressure from the oil industry to ban it years ago, the pilots have a choice, albeit commercial lifestyle etc, but the poor sods that get it in the back don't. The next 225 to go down will be in Malaysia or somewhere where Airbus can sell this machine at a discounted rate. Cynical me?
chocelchoc

Postby chocelchoc » Thu Oct 12 2017, 07:59

C'mon lads, AH CEO Gillaume Faurey jumped in for a 10 minute jolly....surely that has to account for something pop;

I did see that a NEW "look what we've done" video was put up on line https://www.facebook.com/DracHelicopters

It would seem that Airbus have targeted the very individuals (and social media) that have lost confidence in this aircraft...if the walk on freight refuse to get on, then what can AH do?

Return to “I heard...”