NZ Govt agencies ban the R44

What have you heard?
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: NZ Govt agencies ban the R44

Postby Gonsky » Thu Nov 10 2016, 01:39

Eric I am well versed in costs and manufacturing. Worked with advanced composites and super alloys and the various ways machining and using them for many yrs and am a certified SolidWorks engineer, so when I make a statement it is not through lack of knowledge.

I actually made the comment very early in this thread about costs and why the Robinson has the presence in the market. I made the simple point it needs a redesign, you indicated they just keep adding stuff.

Regards blades i have been playing in that area for almost 15 yrs and by having different airfoils, taped blades and the correct washout, actually REDUCE the stress on the head and pitch control components. Composite blades have longer life even though the upfront cost is more. The main issues with blade design is getting a sweet spot between hover, forward flight and auto and other considerations. Any serious blade now is composite and uses multiple airfoils.

My degrees are all math related so I will leave the speeeling to you.

Regards,

Gregory
'Mankind has a perfect record in aviation - we have never left one up there!'
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Tue Dec 6 2016, 04:14

Gents,

I note from reading today the new POH updates for a 44, the following has been added under Recommended Airspeeds.

Maximum Cruise - 110 knots
Significant Turbulence - 60 to 70 knots

I haven't seen an update for the 66 yet, but from memory I think the turbulence speed was already in there - happy to be corrected.

I am pleased to see the recommendations match my posting earlier, but I also question whether everything we do must be written down ? Surely commonsense should prevail ?

Cheers,
Arrrj
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Tue Dec 6 2016, 04:51

Link herefor the Raven 1 R44.
New advice for turbulence penitration speed.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Wed Dec 7 2016, 08:59

I hate them.

Hopefully we will be able to shoot them down shortly with bb guns and it will be legal :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Regards,

Gregory
kiwiflyer
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby kiwiflyer » Wed Dec 7 2016, 09:04

Don't have to worry about shooting them down they fall out of the sky on there own
But on the absolute right track none the less
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Wed Dec 7 2016, 09:18

I cannot wait for the R176 which is just a R22 they keep adding stuff TOO ( 8 times better ) so they don't have to actually make a safe airframe. I have heard it has a 12 mtr mast so they can keep all the other weights and balances the same and not have to deal with any regs....................................

Ps rumours on the R10648 are amazing, just another upgrade from the R22 in terms of 22 ^ 3.

Regards,

Gregory.
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Wed Dec 7 2016, 11:34

The Robbinson series just needs to go away.

and heres why:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/groom-waiting-brides-surprise-altar-9401995
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Wed Dec 7 2016, 22:11

Yankee wrote:The Robbinson series just needs to go away.

and heres why:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/groom-waiting-brides-surprise-altar-9401995

I think that the flying in a storm and scud running had more to do with the aircraft hitting trees than it being a Robinson. Sometimes it is okay to say no to a bride. This pilot should've done just that.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
County
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby County » Wed Dec 7 2016, 22:27

Yeh Robinson definitely can't control the loose nuts that get between the collective and the cyclic. Oc:= Robinson helicopters are very capable aircraft.
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Wed Dec 7 2016, 22:58

CY and County - 100% correct. And the brand is not helped by the fact that there are more Robbie's flying than any other brand, which in Australia, that's any other brand - combined. Statistically the brand is more likely to feature in the news from that fact alone. Yet many of the last horrible accidents have been Eurocopters (singles, twins and 135) more than any other. As the illiterates say "go figure".

Yankee...I am sure you are aware that most pilots on BS would not be flying at all if it wasn't for Robinson products. Affordability, particularly in training, is a very important issue in an industry where even the most experienced pilots do not earn a lot of money. I know guys with 20,000 hours plus flying Robbie's, and they have never had a problem, but I suspect that they have been wise pilots and not stupid.

Cheers,
Arrrj
County
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby County » Thu Dec 8 2016, 02:15

Spot on Arrrj....
Fwh

Postby Fwh » Thu Dec 8 2016, 06:40

The robbies are a prefectly safe aircraft when operated in the correct limitations. When people fly out of theses limits thats accidents are gonna happen. Hopefully the new updates to the poh will help fix some problems.
County
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby County » Thu Dec 8 2016, 06:58

Maybe they should ban AS350's on Tourist ops in NZ as well. Lots of accidents and deaths in this type of helicopter.
Belldriva
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Belldriva » Thu Dec 8 2016, 09:06

Keep an eye out for brass in your oil filters, there been some issues with Lycoming supplied connecting rod small end bushes recently on overhauled engines. P/N LW-13923. If you hear an unusual sound from the normal esp at idle such as a new knocking, tapping ect are indicators. Check your filter.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Thu Dec 8 2016, 23:31

I'm not a massive fan of Robinson helicopters, but, I have flown them a bit in the past and possibly will fly them again in the future. I have always felt safe in them and always thought they were a reliable, capable, fun to fly machine. Don't forget, plenty of big single and multi engine machines have, and continue to hit the ground uncontrolled
Like any helicopter, they are going to be as safe as the bloke behind the wheel. Treat a Robbie harshly and it will return the favour. Too many ten foot tall and bullet proof pilots out there thinking that they know better than everybody else.
A lot of us started in the Robbie, or those of us who paid their own way did, and a lot of pilots I know who started in robbies are now into bigger and better things because they got that start.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!

Return to “I heard...”