Essendon Airport DFO plane crash This AM

What have you heard?
KOALA
1st Dan
1st Dan

Essendon Airport DFO plane crash This AM

Postby KOALA » Tue Feb 21 2017, 01:13

A very sad event that happened this AM. See link below.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-21/e ... og/8289018

I know not a Helicopter incident, however an aviation tragedy without question!!!

RIP :( :(
Aspiring HEMS pilot 8)
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Essendon Airport DFO plane crash This AM

Postby FerrariFlyer » Tue Feb 21 2017, 08:03

Very sad when anyone loses their life in such circumstances.

It's even sadder when someone feels that it's 'newsworthy' to start digging up your past within hours of your death:

http://www.news.com.au/national/victori ... 7d9dad0cff
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Tue Feb 21 2017, 08:22

Well said Ferrari,

The situation is just terrible and the families should be given the chance to grieve their tragic loss.

I've witnessed some of the worst media reporting today it's just a farce, some of them should be ashamed they call themselves reporters.

RIP and condolences to all concerned..
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ozloadie » Tue Feb 21 2017, 12:35

Not to mention the channel TEN parasites claiming the "cause of the accident is revealed' in an article which reveals nothing but panting gibberish of journalist jackals!.
If they publish a lie, they should be punished, not tolerated. Creators of literary sewage.

I wonder how many of them would pass a nose scrape for white powder or crystal?
Keep it flying, don't quit!
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Tue Feb 21 2017, 22:31

9 news last night said the kingair had "a history of accidents". They then went on to name 3, pretty good given they've been around for 30 plus years.
Someone needs to take the media to task on it's utterly rubbish reporting.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Wed Feb 22 2017, 01:16

One attractive, but demonstrably clueless reporter looked earnestly into the camera and informed us that: 'this model of plane should have been able to fly with no power.' Oc:=
(That would be news!)

Most channels highlited the fact there have been 3 (or 4?) crashes since the 1970's Some of them fatal, and this is a reason for considering closing the airport. How many car crashes have occurred in the same radius?

It's pitiful, and remember kiddies, the press is no more accurate or impartial on any of the other subjects covered. Don't be fooled. It's not worth your time watching. Free to air TV thoroughly deserves the fate which is coming fast. pop;
jab160
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby jab160 » Wed Feb 22 2017, 01:39

I too saw a couple of the news crosses, utter utter crap. reporter/s reporting, misleading / factually wrong / hyped up junk. They ( media ) are in some bubble of fantasies.... complaining just goes right over their heads. They are a strange breed of human being, they are dangerous. "Compassion" not in their vocabulary.....heartless bunch of pathetics........hate em
If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time
SICK HORSEY
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SICK HORSEY » Wed Feb 22 2017, 02:42

Sky pig I think you just read from Channel 7/9/10's journalist recruitment page: "....attractive, but demonstrably clueless"!

Unfortunately it's not her fault but ours! The utter BS we allow these morons to spew at us, and then go back for more the next day at 6 pm.

Having had experiences with these vultures, it's not about the news, but about the celebrity that these young oxygen thieves think they are. It is truly sad that we as a society give credence to such rodents.

RIP to those 5 gentlemen. This reminds me of how quickly things can go wrong in this job, and how much responsibility we have with that signature on the maintenance release!

SH.
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Wed Feb 22 2017, 05:05

Unfortunately these days, news isn't news. It's entertainment designed specifically to suck people in, in order to sell advertising.
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ozloadie » Wed Feb 22 2017, 05:34

Denzel washington had a brilliant interview recently where he took the media to task, face to face, and left them with the idiom, "If you don't read the newspapers you are not informed, if you do read the newspapers, you are ill-informed."
Reckon he's on the nail!

"Today" show on channel 9 was reporting it as a state government Air Ambulance from EMS, didn't know if it was a King Air or a helicopter, and were not sure of the condition of the people in the back (are these the assumed patients?).
How far out is left field in journalism?
Dauphin
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Dauphin » Wed Feb 22 2017, 06:02

Denzel stole it from Mark Twain.
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ozloadie » Wed Feb 22 2017, 06:06

Journalsim hasn't improved much, has it!
Birdy
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Birdy » Wed Feb 22 2017, 09:00

Iv been asked for 'recorded' interviews in the past.
Like hell.
Live or nothing, and i dont do live. ;)
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Wed Feb 22 2017, 18:18

I'm glad I'm not the only one disgusted at journalism in general, but particularly in reference to aviation reporting.

On a technical note & to satisfy my curiosity I'd appreciate some input from a Twin fixed wing pilot. Years ago an accident which sounds similar to this occurred at Toowoomba airport, are king airs particularly difficult to fly assymetrically or is this common amongst light twins?
"Plan twice...Fly once"
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Wed Feb 22 2017, 23:37

There was a good interview with AOPA on Ch 10 yesterday, he explained well the way the airport owners are putting profits ahead of aviation safety and usage.
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ozloadie » Thu Feb 23 2017, 00:53

An assymetric situation with any twin on take off is a handfull to handle and it's a critical situation.
The recovery of a dropped wing or dead engine is by rudder, not aileron and a lot of pilots, even experienced ones get caught out because they aren't practiced or they react automatically instead of using a secondary control effect to remedy the profile.
I don't think from the vision in one of the videos, that he had a full asymetric situation, or he had recovered quickly in the correct manner because his wings were relatively level and in a glide attitude ie controlled as best he could manage.
The wheels in the film appear to have been retracted. An aviation writer this morning stated on radio that the wheels were not retracted. His flaps appear to have been retracted or one selection may have been still there, (no sign of them deployed in the film) which is all pretty normal sequence but not yet at 500 ft for his first turn.

Beechcraft (singles and twins) are traditionally a bit heavier than other types at slow speed, plus he had a lot of fuel on board, and not a lot of height to manoeuvre from (probably around 300 max).
His only other out would have been to turn right into the circuit pattern and maybe the rule book, or the fact he would not have been able to see much of it because he was in the left seat and very low altitude, that is normal.

The King Airs will also handle grass and unsealed runways well, but that practice might not have been a common manner of operation with those type of charters that was being operated.

There is an American aviator, Bob Hoover who has demonstrated the potential performance of twins in assymetrics for years and it's worth taking note of.

It appears the pilot had control of the aircraft as best he could and put it where he had to in his own mind. He didn't quit.
tinman
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby tinman » Thu Feb 23 2017, 03:03

Eric Hunt wrote:There was a good interview with AOPA on Ch 10 yesterday, he explained well the way the airport owners are putting profits ahead of aviation safety and usage.

Here's the link. Brilliant analysis by the AOPA representative.

https://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/studio-10/extra/season-2017/22-feb--melbourne-aircraft-tragedy
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Thu Feb 23 2017, 09:36

What a spokesman!
(Very unfashionable with all his clear articulation and facts.) :D
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Thu Feb 23 2017, 09:42

skypig wrote:What a spokesman!
(Very unfashionable with all his clear articulation and facts.) :D

My thoughts entirely. I actually thought it was pretty funny how he took all the sensationalist statements made by the panel?! and stayed on point delivering the message. Bloody good on him, was extremely well delivered.

The talking heads of the panel should be made to watch it over and over again until they've learned that sensationalism gets you nothing. Though they'd probably never get it.
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ozloadie » Thu Feb 23 2017, 10:09

Another salient point that he made was that the airport ownership is in the hands of corporations and developers.
We have a current problem in Cairns where the new head of the board "likes to watch the ballet of aviation dance from his office window."
They want to close down the GA section of the airport and turn it into a supermarket!
There isn't a single aviator on the board, all corporate moguls.
The industry need sto take charge of it's major assets, ie the aerodromes to reinstate a firm foundation to operate from, literally.

Return to “I heard...”