Gold Wings

Helicopter down - Curtis Island

Postby Helicoil » Sat Mar 18 2017, 20:48

bladewash269
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Helicopter down - Curtis Island

Postby bladewash269 » Sun Mar 19 2017, 03:12

"The cause of the crash is not yet unknown, and an investigation will begin later today. "

Journalism at it's finest... :roll:
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Sun Mar 19 2017, 04:08

I'd best run out & swap my ELT for a suitcase!
"Plan twice...Fly once"
Mr_B

Postby Mr_B » Sun Mar 19 2017, 08:50

I heard it was vortex ring pop; pop;
flyboy111111
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby flyboy111111 » Sun Mar 19 2017, 12:53

Really, where did you hear that?
SKIDBITA
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SKIDBITA » Mon Mar 20 2017, 03:17

Nah, gotta be LTE!!
Birdy
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Birdy » Mon Mar 20 2017, 05:28

Gravity, iv got my money on gravity.
Guess we will know once it becomes UNknowen.
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Mon Mar 20 2017, 07:04

According to the dark side it was a flame out (probably hovering downwind...known jetranger issue), then an auto into the water. Of course, we don't actually know, but that makes sense, particularly as they were on a fishing trip and probably scoping out the "good spots".

I always fly with ELT and Satphone.

Obviously these chaps don't.

Glad they are OK. And really glad it wasn't me. :D
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Mon Mar 20 2017, 07:36

Flameout hovering downwind, known jetranger issue..

I cant see your face but surely your taking the piss,

And im not calling you shirley..
rotors99
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby rotors99 » Mon Mar 20 2017, 07:49

Flame out in a trusty ole JetBanger due to hovering down wind :shock: .......28years in this game with over 5,K hours in JetBoxes & have never ever heard of it????? Must've be flying under a proverbial rock all this time Oc:= but ready to learn sumting new pop;
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Mon Mar 20 2017, 09:15

I have heard of there being a problem when flying rearwards at 20kts or faster in the JR!!! Then you may cause flame out. I haven't found it in the manuals, or if it is an old pilots tale, or whatever. (edit: not saying that i believe it!!! just that i had heard it.)

Pretty keen to be taking a JR that fast backwards anyway... not my idea of fun!
Last edited by SuperF on Mon Mar 20 2017, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Mon Mar 20 2017, 10:57

probably hovering downwind...known jetranger issue

KNOWN????

To whom??

I probably spent more of my 8K B206 hrs downwind than into wind, and never even had a pop or surge or nuffink. Sounds like horsefeathers to me.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Mon Mar 20 2017, 11:21

Found this link on another site and no mention of the now infamous "downwind flameout" :roll: . Machine looks to have had a good hit though, lucky boys.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/two-men-rescued-after-12hour-hunt-for-missing-helicopter-20170318-gv199k.html
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
zzodr
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby zzodr » Mon Mar 20 2017, 11:38

There was a personal locator beacon on the aircraft, but they could not get to it after the crash.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Mon Mar 20 2017, 12:38

arrrj wrote:it was a flame out (probably hovering downwind...known jetranger issue)

Thanks for the laugh, but where do I send you the invoice for a replacement laptop after spitting my coffee all over it when I read your post?
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Redude
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Redude » Mon Mar 20 2017, 21:38

rotors99 wrote:Flame out in a trusty ole JetBanger due to hovering down wind :shock: .......28years in this game with over 5,K hours in JetBoxes & have never ever heard of it????? Must've be flying under a proverbial rock all this time Oc:= but ready to learn sumting new pop;

Same here,guess we both been under same rock.
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Mon Mar 20 2017, 22:08

Ouch.

Easy boys.

Flame out downwind hover has happened to two mates of mine - one with something like 20k hours, both told me that they should have known better.

I shall retreat back under my own rock.

pop;
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Mon Mar 20 2017, 22:49

Further...I doubt that my mates imagined what happened to them, and just like I share my bad stories with my friends, they shared with me. The quick (and violent) rejection of my comments above caused me to check the sanity of my mates. A quick search on the internet has many stories like this one.

On Sept. 14, 2002, near Rochester, Mass., the pilot of a Bell OH-58AT, converted to civilian use by Garlick Helicopters, made numerous successful lifts into the wind with loads of cranberries before moving on to a new bog. On the first lift there, the pilot hovered the helicopter about 12 ft. above the ground with a left quartering tailwind while the ground crew secured a 900-lb. cargo basket to a 15-ft. sling load line. Once the load was secured, the pilot maneuvered the helicopter forward, dragging the cargo basket. There was a loud pop sound, and a foot-long jet of flame fired from the left exhaust pipe. The pilot jettisoned the load and the helicopter pitched up. At that point, the main rotor blades severed the tail boom, and the main rotor assembly separated from the helicopter. The helicopter crashed to the ground and rolled onto its left side. The pilot, who had 4,000 hr. in the OH-58, was killed. There were no obstructions that would have impeded him from departing into the wind. The NTSB determined the probable cause of the accident included the pilot's improper decision to attempt a takeoff with a quartering tailwind, which resulted in an engine compressor stall.

So, I guess we all learn something, every day.
bl@ckers
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby bl@ckers » Mon Mar 20 2017, 23:15

I'm not a LAME, but my logic cannot see how a downwind hover would cause a flameout?? I'm not precious, so happy to be corrected.

My logic says that the intake does not require it to be "rammed" into the turbine and as air is all around us, whether we are hovering downwind or not, it should not flameout as the engine will "suck" in enough air??

I can understand there is risk of overheating due to lack of airflow over cooling components and aerodynamic issues (LTE, VRS), but I can't join the dots to a flameout.

But as I said, happy to be corrected and educated.
The Scarlett Harlot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby The Scarlett Harlot » Mon Mar 20 2017, 23:30

I think you mean ingesting exhaust gases and it is a known issue for turbine helicopters in general, though more in the context of compressor stalls, rather than flame out as such. :oops:

As for it being a likely cause of accident, stranger things have happened but I'd favour that other old over flogged horse, LTE as a much more substantial hazard. :cry:

On this accident in particular, who knows, but I'm glad they got out ok. I'm sure they tore the backside out of their trousers just as badly as they tore up the bum of the machine though, I've never seen a fuel bladder exposed quite like that before..... :o

Return to “I heard...”