Professional Helicopter Services (VH-PHU) Chopper hits trees Bellarine Peninsula

What have you heard?
Watchdog
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Professional Helicopter Services (VH-PHU) Chopper hits trees Bellarine Peninsula

Postby Watchdog » Fri Jul 7 2017, 12:02

From Geelong Advertiser 7/6/17

Video of incident on web page

A HELICOPTER pilot’s rough landing at a Bellarine Peninsula winery caused diners to “run for cover” as the chopper’s blades cut through the trees.

A Geelong man captured the “ordinary landing” at Jack Rabbit Winery during lunch with his family on Tuesday, and said bits of the tree were sent flying.

While no one was hurt in the incident, staff at the winery said they had taken the matter seriously and would remove the tree, and that the helicopter company was also conducting it’s own internal investigation.

The man, who did not wish to be named, was filming the helicopters fly into the popular winery when he captured the moment the pilot landed too close to the greenery.

“We were surprised to see it keep coming and coming and then it just clips the tree, sending debris flying all over the deck. We ran for cover,” he said.

“There were only four of us on the deck and we scattered as stuff from the tree splattered everywhere. It’s pretty good footage.”

You can see where the tree has been flattened by the helicopter.
Pictures taken after the hairy landing show where the tree has been cut, with the shrub looking a little shorter than before.

He said the “surprising” ordeal was not enough to put them off as they were so impressed with the food and service they returned the next day.

“It wasn’t the winery’s fault by any means, I think they were all a bit surprised too,” he said.

“But I was thinking later ‘gee’, it was quite astonishing and it didn’t want to have gone any further as it could have been really bad.”

Winery owner Lyndsay Sharp said as a precaution, the helicopter company left the chopper at the venue and the pilot flew the patrons back on another one “just to be extra cautious”.

“We were totally compliant as we always are with helicopters ... you can see in the video the area they land in is pretty big,” she said.

“We will, to be absolutely 100 per cent, over the top safe, take that tree down.

“We do take these things very seriously. I’ve spoken to the helicopter company and they’re conducting a full internal investigation into it, because obviously safety is paramount to them as well.”
Last edited by Watchdog on Fri Jul 14 2017, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: PHS Chopper hits trees Bellarine Peninsula

Postby godfather007 » Fri Jul 7 2017, 13:28

Wow!
Very reputable company, nice machine and such a poor display of operating..
Heaps of room at the pad, so WTF?
All caught on camera, and in the eye/risk of general public.
Sack his bum and Send the so called pilot off to do some gardening job as a hedge trimmer with the appropriate tools.
Media and the rep from the vineyard, How can you blame the tree?
I'm by no means a greeny.
Look at the facts.
There is always an option.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Fri Jul 7 2017, 15:48

godfather007 wrote:Sack his bum and Send the so called pilot off to do some gardening job

i wonder if you would be saying the same things if you were in the pilots shoes? I guess you've never made a mistake before or ever will?

Not that I'm saying it's ok to park on a tree, but wow, very quick to jump to sacking someone for what appears to be an honest screw up.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby godfather007 » Fri Jul 7 2017, 22:23

Havick
Yeah may have gone in a bit hard there..
But I have seen many people that shouldn't be flying helicopters.
History has shown even the simple screw ups lead to death.
GF out.
reeb

Postby reeb » Fri Jul 7 2017, 23:37

I Agree with Havick,
But as you said
But I have seen many people that shouldn't be flying helicopters.
History has shown even the simple screw ups lead to death.

So i'm sure you have also seen many operators with the Blame culture that encourages 'stuff ups' to be not reported for fear of repercussions like your initial reaction.
This outdated and dangerous way of thinking isn't helpful and needs to change.

Look at why it happened, what could have been done differently, how to stop it from happening again, Learn from it, then bring out the whip if needed. Or something to that effect.

Maybe you need to sit in on some more Human Factors courses!

Insert generic inspirational quote on wisdom coming from experience here:
Experience is merely the name men gave to their mistakes - Oscar Wilde
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Sat Jul 8 2017, 00:34

PHS - Pruning Hedge Service :D
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Sat Jul 8 2017, 00:38

I'm very familiar with that landing spot having landed at jack rabbit myself many times, Watching the video obviously raises a few questions..

People make mistakes.. dont crucify them for that, no matter how simple a conclusion can be drawn from watching the video..

I see it was stated from the article that the pilot left the machine there and flew home in a different chopper...

well that's a positive.....
Last edited by bladepitch on Sat Jul 8 2017, 02:45, edited 3 times in total.
MOGG
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby MOGG » Sat Jul 8 2017, 02:06

the helicopter company was also conducting it’s own internal investigation.

Ouch
:shock:
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby godfather007 » Mon Jul 10 2017, 11:15

Hi reeb.

What a marvelous post you have put together.
I assume you are replying to me.

Firstly, when I say GF out at the end of my post, i typically mean I am out of this crap meaningless conversation on this topic of the forum. But in this case I will defend my comments for your sake as your expressed curiosity and appetite for experienced knowledge is obviously so insatiable. ( Not sure if i can sooth that for you, but lets give it a shot!)

Lets do a little cut and paste from your statement.

Your Q: So i'm sure you have also seen many operators with the Blame culture that encourages 'stuff ups' to be not reported for fear of repercussions like your initial reaction.
This outdated and dangerous way of thinking isn't helpful and needs to change.

No as a matter of a fact, I have been very fortunate to work for some very proficient Company's and knowledgeable CP's in this industry. Minor slip ups by fellow college pilots have been a sack-able offence due the nature of contracts and company policy. I can't speak for others who I have not worked for.

Your Q: Look at why it happened I have on the video.
Your Q:[b]what could have been done differently Maybe land the helicopter in the safe and clear part of the HLS.
[b]Your Q:how to stop it from happening again Know the capabilities of both you and the machine and perhaps the diameter of the rotor disk...
[b]Your Q:Learn from it, then bring out the whip if needed Or something to that effect. Some times passengers and pilots don't get a chance to learn from mistakes as mistakes can take lives. Whips are for CA$A and the effect is usually (If you survive) coroners court, licence suspension/cancellation or voluntary retirement, not to mention the $$$$ and potentially JAIL.. As Pilots, we are engaged to be professional operators of aircraft and in my case its a helicopter. In that responsibility, we are trusted to make the appropriate decisions and actions to complete the given task in the most safe and proficient manner. Mine and many other pilots job/obligation is to operate a helicopter from A to B and even all the way to Z whilst maintaining the highest level of safety for our client and the general public.
Investigations can lead to being stood down, retraining and educational for all involved. But I stand by my original statement, Some people are not mean't to be flying helicopters. (They cannot be helped) And I don't know the pilot and can only hope he has thought seriously about what happened and wish him the best outcome despite my statements.

Your Q; Maybe you need to sit in on some more Human Factors courses! That's very nice of you to suggest that, but i have that all covered thanks.

Insert generic inspirational quote on wisdom coming from experience here:
Experience is merely the name men gave to their mistakes - Oscar Wilde
Pardon my french, but Who The F()ck is Oscar Wild? I presume he is dead. He will not be there to help you in a time of crisis as you scream for your mummy!! nor take control of the machine and save your life. Dead peoples slogans are a load of crap in my eyes.

Not sure if you are actually a pilot or a tool spinner, either way good luck and enjoy.
Thanks for your input.

Another 2 cents worth.. GF is out of this thread.
Capt Pingpong
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Capt Pingpong » Thu Jul 13 2017, 04:29

Nice reply GF. Some very valid points raised. Despite what some others may think........

pop; pop; pop; pop;
Helicoil
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Helicoil » Thu Jul 13 2017, 21:19

NZHelo
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby NZHelo » Thu Jul 13 2017, 21:45

Quite the sleuth Helicoil......A week late
Watchdog
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Professional Helicopter Services (VH-PHU) Chopper hits trees Bellarine Peninsula

Postby Watchdog » Fri Jul 14 2017, 03:36

The ATSB have opened an investigation into the incident....

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2017/aair/ao-2017-074/
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Professional Helicopter Services (VH-PHU) Chopper hits trees Bellarine Peninsula

Postby Capt Hollywood » Fri Jul 14 2017, 05:34

I'd say the ATSB will just wait for an internal report to be sent to them from PHS, I seriously doubt they're going to assign investigators to a minor incident like this.

Return to “I heard...”