Drone near miss off Sydney

What have you heard?
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Drone near miss off Sydney

Postby arrrj » Tue Jul 11 2017, 00:01

https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/3 ... ach/#page1

Ouch, missed by 3 mtrs, heading the opposite direction. Closing speed of 150 knots ?

Ca$a are negligent in my view, and there is no doubt there will be tragedies as a result.

I fly up and down the coast all the time, and I have obviously been very lucky. We all need to be much more careful.

Arrrj
zzodr
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Drone near miss off Sydney

Postby zzodr » Tue Jul 11 2017, 01:30

Geezus.. that would ruin your day coming through the canopy.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Tue Jul 11 2017, 03:46

Nothing to worry about people. CASA have done a risk assessment which means we are all safe. Phew!

Oc:=

When the horse has bolted it's often times too hard to get it back. The whole drone issue in this country has gotten away from the regulator and its more blind good luck than good management that we've not had an accident yet. Personally, I think it's only a matter of time.
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Tue Jul 11 2017, 06:25

Casa has no idea, even in the US the FAA had to back down on formal registration as they lost a legal case. Which is truly stupid as it would only help the situation.

It is so easy to have these things geo-fenced and that piece of legistration would take 10 mins to get sorted.

Also limiting their height is also able to be configured as well with simple software re-writes.

Finally many companies are making micro transponders and they can easily be incorporated.

All simple fixes to stop any potential disasters.

Regards,
Last edited by Gonsky on Tue Jul 11 2017, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.
'Mankind has a perfect record in aviation - we have never left one up there!'
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Tue Jul 11 2017, 07:54

Some years ago...it was illegal to import a cordless telephone into Australia - such was the "danger" associated with RF equipment not compliant to the Australian Standards "they could bring down planes" - I remember it well. The penalty was the same as importing illegal drugs. For real.

How things have changed !

In my view, no drones should be allowed to be imported into Australia unless "approved" by Australian standards (to incorporate such things as height limitations etc) and no one is allowed to fly one without a real (and hard to get) licence.

It is no different to a lot of electrical equipment today. Inspectors make sure only approved items are imported, and licensed sparkies have to do the installs.

There will be catastrophic accidents for sure. As FF said, only a matter of time.
Heliflyer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Heliflyer » Tue Jul 11 2017, 11:14

That's a serious accident just waiting to happen, very close call. I fly around Sydney all the time, it would be almost impossible to avoid if it was coming straight for you or your rotors, scary stuff.... :shock:
SIR_SMP
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby SIR_SMP » Wed Jul 12 2017, 01:30

Kind of related, I was flying along the other day and all of a sudden a tiny black dot very quickly started growing in the windscreen, had to break track to avoid it, and I immediately thought drone!!!

Turns out it was a helium balloon and on a predictable track but made me think, you will be lucky to ever see a drone untill it's just about too late, and of course don't assume it's going to going in a straight track :(

If your really unlucky it might even come through the window and still have some engine movement or worse even the lipo battery might go up (happens just about every time I crash one of my models)

I'd just about rather Peter the Pelican try and hitch a free ride
ThatGuy

Postby ThatGuy » Wed Jul 12 2017, 07:57

I fly down the coast at 500' everyday just trying to do my job.

The amount of near misses i have had (That i know about) is terrifying.

Write it on my Tombstone please. "i died for drone regulations" because its going to happen and i'm probably a prime candidate.

If one of these things comes through my window and takes out my crewy, i cant even find out who is responsible...

Would a simple registered sim-card registered to the operator and connected to an App like oz-runways be so hard?
They harp on about how good they are and how amazing their payloads and capabilities are becoming, so why not enforce this?
Heliflyer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Heliflyer » Wed Jul 12 2017, 08:18

ThatGuy wrote:Would a simple registered sim-card registered to the operator and connected to an App like oz-runways be so hard?
They harp on about how good they are and how amazing their payloads and capabilities are becoming, so why not enforce this?

That's a great idea, the operators should be accountable and traceable, these things aren't toys anymore. There also needs to be more awareness and public education in my view, some may not realise the seriousness of what they are doing.
zzodr
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby zzodr » Wed Jul 12 2017, 09:31

The amount of time and money you spend for a PPL/CPL/ATPL etc learning and studying airspace restrictions, rules, exams, talking to ATC etc
and these clowns can just buy a drone at Toys r Us and tool around where we fly. :x
bladefapper

Postby bladefapper » Wed Jul 12 2017, 10:06

http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... d401381e2e

Looks like an unfortunate plane hit one today. Luckily only minor damage.
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Wed Jul 12 2017, 10:56

Zzodr,

100% correct sir.

That's what makes the whole thing ridiculous. Ca$a are all over us as pilots, we have to study hard to know the rules - yet the untrained are buying these bloody drones and are flying them all over the place with simply no idea. I wonder if they have to pass medicals too ! (Joke...).

It is disgraceful.

And nothing will be done about it until a 380 sucks one in and it blows up a multi million dollar engine. And then probably just a bunch of press releases.

Arrrj
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Wed Jul 12 2017, 11:07

zzodr wrote:The amount of time and money you spend for a PPL/CPL/ATPL etc learning and studying airspace restrictions, rules, exams, talking to ATC etc
and these clowns can just buy a drone at Toys r Us and tool around where we fly. :x

This needs a 'like' button. It's spot on!
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Thu Jul 13 2017, 12:09

The biggest thing that worries me most about drones is the availability. Any moron can go buy a drone now at Aldi, most electrical stores or the local market and fly it pretty much wherever they want without any form of regulation. Further along the same line is that the vast majority of the public at large seem to have an over inflated sense of entitlement that leads them to believe that anyone interfering with their 'enjoyment' of the $30 pile of crap is wrong, even if that means that a certified aircraft and it's crew are put in danger. As has been said, as professional pilots we learn hard, work hard and maintain currency for no end of potential emergencies that we hope may never happen in our specific fields, however with regard to drones, we are now up against a group of people that have no understanding of aviation and find helicopters and aeroplanes interfering in their weekend/evening entertainment to be "THE PROBLEM". You can't legislate against these people, the genie of drones is out of the bottle unfortunately.
zzodr
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby zzodr » Fri Jul 14 2017, 04:04

Don't worry, soon there will be a "Flying in the Drone Environment" endorsement to add to the list. :roll:
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Mon Sep 25 2017, 22:14

Lucky escape for this crew. At least the dimwit won't be getting their drone back...at least not in one piece (watch the news clip):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... opter.html

I wouldn't want to be flying surf patrols anytime soon...
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Mon Sep 25 2017, 23:11

As before the Quads need to be licensed and yet CASA is sitting on their hands f**king around.

The FAA tried to do it and even they got hit by the hobby groups and had to back down and refund all those who registered their drones.

Unfortunately it will take a tragedy before any governing body get there s#!t together and make some rules.

Regards,
'Mankind has a perfect record in aviation - we have never left one up there!'
Sadie

Postby Sadie » Tue Oct 24 2017, 21:01

'It's deadly serious': Video shows the terrifying moment a drone almost takes down a helicopter :O

Sadie
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Thu Oct 26 2017, 04:10

Drones are here and licencing them will NEVER happen. caa can't police actual aircraft we have now, add 4 or 5 thousand drones and what do you have.

Nothing. Only 4 or 5 thousand unregistered drones.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Thu Oct 26 2017, 09:15

Whilst visiting the coastline of Italy on a family holiday we noticed numerous signs stipulating that flying drones without authorisation was illegal. The problem became so bad there they actually did something about it (the police are regularly involved as they deem it such a serious risk):

https://cinqueterreinsider.com/2017/06/ ... ink-twice/

That said, some brain dead fool still launched his drone (from a small 3m x 3m area amongst tourists) and flew it around for ten minutes including hovering it low level over the children's public playground. He was quickly advised by several parents what to do with his drone...

Perhaps a similar approach along the Australian coastline could be an approach to consider, particularly in heavily populated areas. I'm sure a few hefty fines being handed out will help motivate people to be a little more sensible with the where, when and how they operate their drones.

Return to “I heard...”