ABC helicopter contract

What have you heard?
rotation

ABC helicopter contract

Postby rotation » Tue Oct 24 2017, 01:54

Has anyone got an update on the Australia Wide ABC news heli contract.
integrity
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: ABC helicopter contract

Postby integrity » Tue Oct 24 2017, 02:04

I think you will find the update is that there is no longer an Australia Wide ABC News Helicopter contract. Seems ABC and helicopters don't mix too well...
Where there is no vision - the people shall perish.
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Tue Oct 24 2017, 07:43

Many years ago, that contract came up for renewal for the Sydney area. We knew the contract was firmly in GT's back pocket, but we presented a deal that just HAD to unhorse him.

But what we didn't know, was that he was on the contract assessment committee!

We didn't get a look in. :x
Worzel_Gummidge
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Worzel_Gummidge » Tue Oct 24 2017, 09:49

Wasn't there a plan for the ABC and Ch10 to have a joint aircraft arrangement, much like 7 & 9?
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby godfather007 » Tue Oct 24 2017, 10:21

Ah.. how bad news travels fast.
From what I hear, it’s a bit of a mess up stairs on both ends.
A lot has changed over the years since GT departed.
Best of luck for the experienced drivers involved!
There is always an option.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Tue Oct 24 2017, 12:25

I’m a bit out of tune these days with contracts but still have many friends from my media days.

GT was one of my great friends and mentors amongst others.

At the time in the 90’s through till now the ABC was the premier job in media, hands down in my opinion. Travel around NSW all week covering many a story from news to landline in good old VH-NTV bless them all.

It will never be the same ..but as we all know times change, which reminds me, time to change my undies and pack for another tour :)
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
kiwiflyer
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby kiwiflyer » Wed Oct 25 2017, 01:09

Maybe a mis heard rumour but didn’t United aero get a contract to do the tv news work in a joint contract with ch7 and 10.
Can’t remember who told me that or when so prob way off the mark......aluminium pots again
Cleared Hot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Cleared Hot » Wed Oct 25 2017, 08:58

A little birdie tweeted on a tree that ABC pulled the pin on its latest national contract with the provider.
Assume the Position
LHS
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby LHS » Wed Oct 25 2017, 21:35

Kiwiflyer UAH got the Ch9/7 contract for the capital cities.
hoverthrust
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby hoverthrust » Thu Oct 26 2017, 01:14

Even Senator got it wrong - he thought they bought the helicopters. The ABC considered a pooling model with Seven and Nine, but this covered footage only, not the transportation of crews and / or journalists, and would have inhibited ABC’s independence.

http://tvtonight.com.au/2017/03/helicopter-leases-offer-better-value-news-independence-says-abc.html

Helicopter leases offer better value & news independence, says ABC.

ABC has rejected criticism it has splurged on purchasing new helicopters at a time when 200 jobs are set to go from the broadcaster.

Senator Eric Abetz labelled the move an “extravagance” whilst media articles note Seven and Nine have previously done a deal to share pooled footage.

In a statement, ABC says it is extending its helicopter operations to include regional areas, following the recommendations of a review.

“With the ABC’s former helicopter leasing contract in NSW and Victoria coming to an end, we took the opportunity to review the entire operation to ensure it was value for money and delivering to our audiences,” the statement read.

“Senator Abetz has today claimed that the ABC ‘has purchased an additional three helicopters taking their fleet to five’. This is incorrect.

“After a lengthy tender process, the ABC now has an agreement that delivers an efficient, fit for purpose and scalable model for leased helicopters across five States – delivering a better deal operationally, editorially and financially.”

ABC considered a pooling model with Seven and Nine, but this covered footage only, not the transportation of crews and / or journalists, and would have inhibited ABC’s independence.

“It was estimated this arrangement would have covered about one-third of the requirements. For example, newsgathering in regional areas would not have been covered. Due to these operational limitations, as well as lack of editorial control and independence and other considerations, the model was not suitable,” ABC said.

“The ABC is confident the final decision, which was supported by the ABC Board, represents the best interests of the ABC and its audiences in terms of content outcomes and cost savings.

So what are they doing now?????
integrity
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby integrity » Fri Oct 27 2017, 04:58

yet another one of their 'media' machines arrived here in Melb just recently. Looks like the music has come to an end for that venture...
Where there is no vision - the people shall perish.
rotation

Postby rotation » Fri Oct 27 2017, 07:50

So is it up for re tender or are they dropping the whole Heli contract ??
hoverthrust
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby hoverthrust » Fri Oct 27 2017, 08:50

what happens with all the pilots? some high experience there especially the Sydney boys. :x
NZHelo
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby NZHelo » Fri Oct 27 2017, 10:52

hoverthrust wrote:what happens with all the pilots? some high experience there especially the Sydney boys. :x

Pilots are expendable regardless of experience. If the toys go then so must the drivers.
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Sat Oct 28 2017, 13:01

'Mankind has a perfect record in aviation - we have never left one up there!'

Return to “I heard...”