Kakadu crash.

What have you heard?
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: Kakadu crash.

Postby Heliduck » Fri May 31 2019, 15:12

I’ve been at the controls for the demise of around 36,000 animals in national parks, pastoral leases & private property & I can’t think of a single occasion when I wished I had another person on board for any reason, let alone admin. If I could have shot the bloody things on my own I would have.

The more people we expose to risk in any operation the faster the customers will demand a move to alternative methods, regardless of the cost or effectiveness. How do we get out of the conundrum when it is the customer demanding the extra people??
"Plan twice...Fly once"
County
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby County » Sat Jun 1 2019, 00:42

Pilot in command, means exactly that. Exercise your privilege and you will live longer.
onebunglung

Postby onebunglung » Sun Jun 2 2019, 02:56

There is another side to the use of the 206 which is often overlooked when evaluating risk.

It was originally certified by the FAA to regulation CAR6 - now well and truly superseded by FAR27.

Sure the 206 may exceed the following limitations - I simply do not know - but all it was required to demonstrate as a minimum for certification in a minor crash landing was:

CAR 6:
(a) The structure shall be designed to give every reasonable probability that all of the occupants, if they make proper use of the seats, belts, and other provisions made in the design (see § 6.355), will escape serious injury in the event of a minor crash landing (with wheels up if the rotorcraft is equipped with retractable landing gear) in which the occupants experience the following ultimate inertia forces relative to the surrounding structure.

(1) Upward 1.5g (downward 4.0g).

(2) Forward 4.0g.

(3) Sideboard 2.0g.

(b) The use of a lesser value of the downward inertia force specified in paragraph (a) of this section shall be acceptable if it is shown that the rotorcraft structure can absorb the landing loads corresponding with the design maximum weight and an ultimate descent velocity of 5 fps without exceeding the value chosen.

Compare this to FAR27 for the R44 or other FAR27 certified machines and it sticks out a mile that the Robinson seat structure is designed to be better at protecting pilots and passengers in certain configuration landings particular downward.

FAR 27:
3) Each occupant and each item of mass inside the cabin that could injure an occupant is restrained when subjected to the following ultimate inertial load factors relative to the surrounding structure:

(i) Upward—4g.

(ii) Forward—16g.

(iii) Sideward—8g.

(iv) Downward—20g, after intended displacement of the seat device.

(v) Rearward—1.5g.

Just a thought

OBL
bob
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bob » Sun Jun 2 2019, 06:03

The only time I ever wanted another person on board was this really hot stripper........... pop;
Longrass
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Longrass » Mon Jun 3 2019, 10:15

hand in pants wrote:Longrass and County, really. You think now is the time to slag off the shooter?

If you don't like the way it's done, go and personally speak to the people running the show instead of sniping at people doing as their job.

Certainly not having a go at the bloke, I am having a go at the policy and mark my words, I’ve lobbied for change. Not only because it will bring me profit, but also because of the ethical issues.
Longrass
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Longrass » Mon Jun 3 2019, 10:20

County wrote:during the BTEC program in northern Australia during the 90’s flying Bell 47’s we as pilots managed all of 487072’s role as well as flying the aircraft and the shooter managed their role very well.
As I said I believe it’s unnecessary and safety compromising addition to the flight. I am giving my opinion based on a lot of experience in single pilot and single shooter culling ops.
If you check BHP SOPs for aerial culling operations you will not find an Observer on board an aircraft.

I’m sure you will agree that you couldn’t have done it without ozrunways though :cool_slp:
Cleared Hot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Cleared Hot » Thu Jun 6 2019, 00:53

Any update on the pilots recovery?
Assume the Position

Return to “I heard...”