Putting Type Rating from Overseas on CASA License

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
Surprise
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Putting Type Rating from Overseas on CASA License

Postby Surprise » Fri Oct 10 2014, 13:49

Gday

Under the current regulations, does anyone know how to get a type rating from overseas put onto a CASA License?

From my research, I believe you need to fill out form 209 and submit this form together with all supporting documentation to CASA along with a fee of $130.

However a search for form 209 leads me to believe this form no longer exists, and I am guessing the procedure may have changed under Part 61, and can't find anything further on the matter (or maybe just haven't looked in the right places)

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you
oei
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Putting Type Rating from Overseas on CASA License

Postby oei » Fri Oct 10 2014, 16:31

Form 61-4CT on the casa website
Surprise
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Surprise » Sat Oct 11 2014, 00:27

Thank you
ag-pilot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby ag-pilot » Tue Jun 5 2018, 21:58

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has done this recently?

I have a current part 61 license and needing clarification on the process to be able to fly an aircraft type I have on my overseas license in Australia? I've had a few mixed answers so thought I'd see if anyone has a definitive answer.

Cheers
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Tue Jun 5 2018, 22:29

Get on the phone to clarc, I have done this recently but, it was for new ratings done in the sim overseas. When I was going through it the guys at clarc were very helpful and pushed the paperwork through quickly as soon as they had everything they needed. They will need to see proof of training and copies of logbook pages etc. It's all listed on the form. Couple that with a phone call and Roberts your mothers brother.

ET
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Tue Jun 5 2018, 23:01

Download form 61-4CT from the CASA website.

In Short.... You need to give Clarc a certified copy of your overseas licence , you will need to fill out a form from your overseas CAA , your overseas CAA will send a verified copy of your licence to CASA , they will then process your type rating , reprint your licence ....You will need a flight review on that Type ...
ag-pilot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby ag-pilot » Wed Jun 6 2018, 00:01

Thanks for the replies,

I have called clarc (prior to these posts) and I had one person there tell me I didn't need to fill out that form as I already hold a SEH and didn't need to do anymore until my HFR was due, but then they transferred me to someone else who said I needed to do a HFR in that type before I could fly it in Australia? Which has left me a bit confused.

As I mentioned to them when I originally changed my license to the part 61 I am current to fly any types that where on my previous license without needing to do the HFR on each specific aircraft type?
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Wed Jun 6 2018, 00:29

Ok , I assumed it was a type rating...

If you have a part 61 licence , with a SEH on it, with a current HFR, and lets say you have been flying a R66 in the USA and now you want to fly that R66 in Australia on your CASA Licence .

You will require a flight review on the R66 for the first time in Australia ...

Hope that helps...
ag-pilot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby ag-pilot » Wed Jun 6 2018, 01:23

Thanks for confirming that Fill-level
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Wed Jun 6 2018, 02:00

What aircraft type?
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
ag-pilot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby ag-pilot » Wed Jun 6 2018, 02:15

AS350
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Wed Jun 6 2018, 04:02

Without knowing all your information......I assume you have a turbine on your part 61 already , if not then you will also be up for a Gas Turbine Endorsement as well.

The Flight school will advise this when doing your flight review
ag-pilot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby ag-pilot » Wed Jun 6 2018, 05:13

Correct fill-level,

The part I am getting mixed messages on is that the hfr is done to cover all aircraft types that I'm currently allowed to fly (with exception to the Robinson family) I presume casa has a list on file?

But for a new type I'm legal to fly overseas I need to complete a hfr before it's due, on that type so as it can be added to the list?
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Wed Jun 6 2018, 06:04

Although it’s classed single engine class , they do add the helicopter (AS350) to your flight crew record , you can see your own list on the CASA self service portal
ag-pilot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby ag-pilot » Wed Jun 6 2018, 06:14

Ok, cheers fill-level
109ish

Postby 109ish » Wed Jun 6 2018, 23:31

Gotta love the simplicity of the current system??? My experience varies a little from fill-level … I have added two new aircraft (similar additional SE turbines) since my part 61 licence was issued. I used a local school and an HFR was processed for each. They do NOT show on my CASA portal. Only SE aircraft prior to my part 61 licence and a new type rated aircraft show on the portal.

Looking at CASA’s website (https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-page/a ... ss-ratings) it says you just need to have the 61.385 -general competency requirement covered and that does NOT have to be via a 141 school. So, for an additional aircraft in a class - if you were trained overseas to requirements listed in 61.385 and you have a valid CASA issued class rating covering that aircraft, with a GTE and a valid HFR for that class (which could be on any SEH) – then can fly the squirrel. The catch is if you had to prove you had the training to the 61.385 requirements then the easiest way to do that is with an HFR on that aircraft – so I did that.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Wed Jun 6 2018, 23:53

109ish, that's pretty much how I see it. Thing is the proof you need is just the paperwork from wherever you did the training and if you thought about it, a note and signature in your logbook from the place you did the training. I still don't see the need for the fr. You have already been trained and approved to fly the helicopter. From my perspective, the fr is a complete waist of time and money.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
ag-pilot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby ag-pilot » Thu Jun 7 2018, 00:14

Cheers guys I will keep talking with clarc and see what the end result will be

Return to “International License Conversion”