converting Australian CPL(H) to Canadian CPL(H)

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
redline
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: converting Australian CPL(H) to Canadian CPL(H)

Postby redline » Fri Nov 25 2011, 02:11

hahaha thank's Peg5, possibly the funniest thing i've seen all week!!

Love ya work
Peg5

Postby Peg5 » Fri Nov 25 2011, 06:51

You can start studying Canadian Law on the Transport Canada web site. They have practice exams on there too.
If you haven't the IFR requirement you can do a portion of it cheaper on a flight simulator.
If you're buying winter gear quality bands Northface/Canada Goose etc, watch out for fakes being sold cheap.
They may look good but they don't do the job out in the cold.

The god I believe in isn't short of cash Mr. U2

Avatar Painted by Sue Dawe of San Diego. Nice lady. Might not mind if you ask.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Fri Nov 25 2011, 07:57

Peg5 wrote:You can start studying Canadian Law on the Transport Canada web site. They have practice exams on there too.
If you haven't the IFR requirement you can do a portion of it cheaper on a flight simulator.
If you're buying winter gear quality bands Northface/Canada Goose etc, watch out for fakes being sold cheap.
They may look good but they don't do the job out in the cold.

The god I believe in isn't short of cash Mr. U2

Avatar Painted by Sue Dawe of San Diego. Nice lady. Might not mind if you ask.

excuse me, but get off your high horse young fella, how do you know that I don't have permission to use the pic??? I suggest you pull your head in, since it was you who decided to
assume my character, not the other way round?!!!! I get myself in enough hot water all on my own without people assuming to be me, and I don't appreciate the implication at all. Just a tad convenient don't you think that you made your user name as close as possible and chose the same avatar, just exactly what are you playing at may I ask? Feel free to pm if you like, I would be interested in hearing further what you have to say, since it appears you have an agenda you may as well get it off your chest.
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
Peg5

Postby Peg5 » Fri Nov 25 2011, 17:09

GPS
Another thing you might want to consider if you're thinking about buying a GPS when heading to Canada.
In the extreme cold touch screen GPS's sometimes don't work. Lot's of old timers recommend sticking with the hard button types. Although Northface have brought out some gloves with special finger tips for operating touch screens, I'm not sure how they work but have heard they do the job but I wouldn't want to be stuck out there without an operating GPS.

Flight Training Providers in Alberta Canada.

rotorworks dot com
e-air dot com
lrhelicopters dot ca
mvheli dot com
advancedheliflight dot com

Let's stay on point people.

Hipocrisy; The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.
Waka topatopa
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Waka topatopa » Tue Dec 13 2011, 21:35

Cheers to the guys above with constructive comments posted i've found this thread to be a huge help

Just going through the process of organising myself to head up there next year from NZ. If nothing else the very negative comments serve as a good reminder to do your homework before choosing somewhere to convert your license i suppose. I'll probably head to Chinook myself based on what the guys i know personally have said of their experiences at that school.

One thing i have heard is that there are specific requirements to be met for having you type ratings endorsed on your canadian license? I have heard a few different versions so far, if someone could clear that up for me that would be much appreciated!

Cheers :D
RotorTQ
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RotorTQ » Wed Dec 14 2011, 04:05

Re Cathy, Lynn and the folk at Chinook. Couldn't fault them (few years back mind you, but doesn't sound like a lot has changed)
I was warned about one of the senior instructors (A.R.) so chose not to fly with him. An extremely experienced pilot/instructor, but unfortunately seems to rub a few guys up the wrong way. Maybe time someone let Cathy know...
I did all my flying with Cathy and she certainly knows her stuff inside and out of the a/c and has a wonderful demeanor. Seem to remember I was done in a week. Only thing that tripped me up was the Instrument time of 10 hrs. Thought I had it logged, but time done in an aircraft without a valid licence (i.e. fixed wing sim inst time under hood) is not recognised. Trick for young players, but nothing a few hrs in the Flight Sim couldn't sort and not something I could hold the school responsible for. Clearly an oversight on my part. Other than that would recommend them and would go back to them myself in the future.
In regards the College on Vancouver Is. They too come highly recommended. Good luck!
Waka topatopa
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Waka topatopa » Thu Dec 15 2011, 19:43

Yeah i have been in touch with a few different schools now and must say Chinook have been the best to deal with so far, always quick to respond and very helpful etc.

Cleared up my endorsement question above with them too. So long as you have 10hrs pic in each a/c you're rated on then they will automatically endorse it on your license as well as the a/c you do your conversion in!
jetbox
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby jetbox » Tue Oct 28 2014, 22:23

Waka topatopa wrote:Yeah i have been in touch with a few different schools now and must say Chinook have been the best to deal with so far, always quick to respond and very helpful etc.

Cleared up my endorsement question above with them too. So long as you have 10hrs pic in each a/c you're rated on then they will automatically endorse it on your license as well as the a/c you do your conversion in!

If anyone is heading over or has done the conversion and wanting to get more endorsements put on there licence its changed to 50hrs in the last 12months.
Sideshow
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Sideshow » Thu Oct 30 2014, 00:48

Heli college or Chinook charge you 4-12 grand for your conversions. Coast Helicopters on Vancouver island 2-3 grand. Coast is awesome. Everyone who has been there will agree with this. Enough said.
AgLad

Postby AgLad » Thu Oct 30 2014, 02:54

Couldn't agree more sideshow! Albert is a good guy. Really goes out of his way to help you. No hidden charges,upfront and honest. Charges from skids off to skids down.I have had dealings with the other two companies and although both are well regarded training establishments. They dip hard into your pocket.
Waka topatopa
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Waka topatopa » Thu Oct 30 2014, 07:47

Agree also, plus there is a very nice B&B within walking distance of the field run by a very nice couple who give killer deals to guys doing their license conversions!
nuthin
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby nuthin » Fri Oct 31 2014, 16:47

Good thread here but sad to see it become a for or against Chinook fest.

I am curious what you chaps all think of the various discussions on Vertical by Canadian pilots about foreign pilots.
Last year the TFW visa was hit pretty hard but it is still possible to work in Canada as a pilot at least for a season or two.
(Aussies have 2 years and Kiwis 1 year).

Are you all working for Qwest, Bailey and Woodbuffalo? How is your experience there? Canadian pilots are pissed that some companies
are screwing the legitimate need (Helicopter pilot stopped being listed as skilled workers years ago) for pilots and then paying less than what Canadians will work for.

I think if are coming here for the hours and experience then you should consider helping to raise the bar for the industry in Canada by not taking
s#!t pay and conditions just for the experience. Your working in Canada is helping to delay the time it takes for Canadian kids to get their own hours up.

When Canadian pilots finally unite they will make sure the avenue you are taking to work in Canada is closed. Indeed those steps are slowly being taken if this past year is any indication.
UnObvious
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby UnObvious » Fri Oct 31 2014, 18:24

nuthin wrote:Good thread here but sad to see it become a for or against Chinook fest.

I am curious what you chaps all think of the various discussions on Vertical by Canadian pilots about foreign pilots.
Last year the TFW visa was hit pretty hard but it is still possible to work in Canada as a pilot at least for a season or two.
(Aussies have 2 years and Kiwis 1 year).

Are you all working for Qwest, Bailey and Woodbuffalo? How is your experience there? Canadian pilots are pissed that some companies
are screwing the legitimate need (Helicopter pilot stopped being listed as skilled workers years ago) for pilots and then paying less than what Canadians will work for.

I think if are coming here for the hours and experience then you should consider helping to raise the bar for the industry in Canada by not taking
s#!t pay and conditions just for the experience. Your working in Canada is helping to delay the time it takes for Canadian kids to get their own hours up.

When Canadian pilots finally unite they will make sure the avenue you are taking to work in Canada is closed. Indeed those steps are slowly being taken if this past year is any indication.

I'm working in Canada at the moment, but not for any of the companies you listed. I did my conversion at Chinook. Took less than 2 weeks, around 7k doing it in a 44. Led to a job.

I've been here for nearly 3 years now. Planning on staying for a while. I'm currently on a temporary working visa under the working holiday program, which does not require me to be sponsored by a company at all. My application is in for permanent residency, but it's taking a long time to process.

I've personally only come across one person so far who had a direct problem with foreigners in the helicopter industry. Everyone else doesn't seem to have an issue with it, as long as you're pulling your weight. They understand it's the clients that are creating this huge gap in the Canadian industry where the low timers can't get a start, not the companies. I completely agree with them when it comes to contracts that don't have an hour minimum. Those jobs should ABSOLUTELY go to a Canadian guy. From what I understand, most companies that employ foreigners are only doing so because they can't get Canadians with the hours for the contracts. Except for one company that will actively not hire Canadians. Which is f#%k ed.

So the next argument I hear is that all Aussies and Kiwis are fudging their hours in their logbooks to get jobs in Canada. This is a load of bull s#!t. I'm sure there are guys out there that do it, but the vast majority don't do this. What they're saying is "there's no way to check". Pretty sure international phone rates are pretty affordable these days (not to mention email), and if a potential employer wanted to query someone's old chief pilot about their experience, I don't think it would be all that difficult/expensive.

When it comes to "not taking s#!t pay and conditions just for the experience", that's a bit of a hard one. How do we know what a decent pay rate is in a foreign market? I've found most pilots treats pay rates as a closely guarded secret, as if you're going to find out what they make and then go and ask for more.

When I first got here, I took what I was told was a competitive rate in the industry. I'm at a new company now, and am aware that it was not that great. But how was I to know? Anybody I asked about what they were getting paid to compare with, wouldn't give away any solid numbers, even after I told them exactly what I was on and asked if it was in the ball park of what I should expect. As it turns out, what I was getting paid wasn't any less than the similar hour'd Canadians I was working side by side with, so I wasn't "that foreigner guy" trying to ruin the industry, just another pilot getting treated like a pilot.

"Your working in Canada is helping to delay the time it takes for Canadian kids to get their own hours up."
Come on, seriously? This is on the operators. They need to stand up to the clients as a consolidated group and show them that it doesn't take a 2000 hour pilot to fly a pipeline. If the operators here would stop being so cut throat and hiring machines out at 1980s rates just to get the work, then maybe there could be some progress. Until then, they'll keep hiring the people they need to fill the contracts and paying them 1980s rates so they can pay the bills.
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Fri Oct 31 2014, 20:22

It's not all about hours. Just as it's difficult to get people to live in the bush in Australia, it's difficult to get Canadians who want to live in oil & gas towns like Ft Nelson. I personally know 4 Canadians who got the job, did a few weeks & threw it in to go back & live closer to the border.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
Blade Puppeteer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Blade Puppeteer » Sun Nov 2 2014, 20:36

Hey Peeps

What is the ideal time to look into Canada in terms on hours and experience for someone who wants to get into long lineing.
I could try and slog the long and hard road of getting some line time in Australia, but I've always wanted to go to Canada and travel.
Am i fooling myself thinking I would be getting on the line without prior experience?
I've been informed to get on the blower and start building some contacts for when I touchdown but I am just wondering how you guys went about doing it.

For the guys who have done it or are still doing it or even the lads(or ladies not being sexiest here) who are in the same boat, can you lend me any tips on how to get into this skillset.
What sort of experience did you go over with? What sort of pay and conditions did you have to endure?
Any tips on how I can make it would be greatly appreciated.

PM me if you prefer.

I already know Canada doesn't have a sling rating and you need at least 50 hours on type in the last 12 months for your endorsement to carry.

Thanks alot

BP :D
Hooroo
PullPitch

Postby PullPitch » Mon Nov 3 2014, 00:39

Seriously, Canadians are sick and tired of you guys coming here and taking jobs. If it worked both ways and Canadian pilots could actually get visas in Australia and NZ and fly there as easily as you can here I think everyone would be pissed that Canadians were taking your jobs. It is far harder for low time Canadian guys to get going in this industry and build hours and it's pretty upsetting when theres some areas of this country where you hear nothing but foreigners on the radio. There have been massive layoffs at more than one company this year so do yourself and Canadian pilots a favour and stay home.
AgRattler
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby AgRattler » Mon Nov 3 2014, 04:21

Canada is f&$ked.
Redlining in neutral
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Mon Nov 3 2014, 07:43

It would be about as frkd as NZ!

I just talked to a guy that got offered $60k NZ to be CP of a 3 or 4 ship company. That's less than my ground crew get!
Pinnacle
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pinnacle » Mon Nov 3 2014, 17:45

Having lived and worked in Canada a number of years now under a working holiday visa which allows me to work where ever I feel and have no ties to a company. Do I feel I am stealing Canadian jobs?? NO... The company I work for hired me as I meet the Oil and Gas requirements (which are utterly ridiculous) Should guys with less hours be doing the mundane jobs YES!!! sitting on a site for hours on end, I get more enjoyment poking myself in the eye with a sharp stick.. So Canada lower the hour requirements or introduce a pilot supervision program for those simple jobs to get guys up to speed.
Unfortunately there are companies that hire just Aussies n Kiwis but as mentioned do you want to live in the middle of nowhere? or get a job closer to home on a 2/2 roster?? guess us foreigners know how to suck it up for a few years in these towns to try and get ahead in our careers.
Canada is a very seasonal market so mass layoffs are common practice the recent big one at GSH has a lot to say about recent revenue years they should say.. 'sorry we cant afford to keep you guys on' but every year guys are hired on for SEASONAL work. Companies I speak to like the guys from down under as a lot only hire them for the busy 6 month revenue season as to keep everyone on over winter is financially impossible and will break even the biggest of companies.

Your comments about stay at home???.. OK well how about Wildcat 412, 212 drivers, engineers and helicopters coming to Australia and stealing contracts from the Aussie companies, Valhalla are doing the same these guys come in and leave after summer take the money and run no difference Mcdermotts hire some Canadian drivers good on them.

Canadians DO get the same treatment in Australia if you looked on our immigration site and searched visas you will find its the same thing only 1 year can be extended when in country. My advice take the winter off in Canada go get some sun and surf and fly some fires in Australia you will soon realize that being able to live and fly where ever you can dream of is an amazing opportunity that you should take full advantage of.
PullPitch

Postby PullPitch » Mon Nov 3 2014, 18:02

Pinnacle wrote:Having lived and worked in Canada a number of years now under a working holiday visa which allows me to work where ever I feel and have no ties to a company. Do I feel I am stealing Canadian jobs?? NO... The company I work for hired me as I meet the Oil and Gas requirements (which are utterly ridiculous) Should guys with less hours be doing the mundane jobs YES!!! sitting on a site for hours on end, I get more enjoyment poking myself in the eye with a sharp stick.. So Canada lower the hour requirements or introduce a pilot supervision program for those simple jobs to get guys up to speed.
Unfortunately there are companies that hire just Aussies n Kiwis but as mentioned do you want to live in the middle of nowhere? or get a job closer to home on a 2/2 roster?? guess us foreigners know how to suck it up for a few years in these towns to try and get ahead in our careers.
Canada is a very seasonal market so mass layoffs are common practice the recent big one at GSH has a lot to say about recent revenue years they should say.. 'sorry we cant afford to keep you guys on' but every year guys are hired on for SEASONAL work. Companies I speak to like the guys from down under as a lot only hire them for the busy 6 month revenue season as to keep everyone on over winter is financially impossible and will break even the biggest of companies.

Your comments about stay at home???.. OK well how about Wildcat 412, 212 drivers, engineers and helicopters coming to Australia and stealing contracts from the Aussie companies, Valhalla are doing the same these guys come in and leave after summer take the money and run no difference Mcdermotts hire some Canadian drivers good on them.

Canadians DO get the same treatment in Australia if you looked on our immigration site and searched visas you will find its the same thing only 1 year can be extended when in country. My advice take the winter off in Canada go get some sun and surf and fly some fires in Australia you will soon realize that being able to live and fly where ever you can dream of is an amazing opportunity that you should take full advantage of.

With the amount of unemployed Canadian pilots (even higher time guys), there should be no need for temporary foreign pilots. Period. There are probably hundreds of 100 hour Canadian pilots that are willing to work up north. You foreigners are not the only ones willing to work there to further your career. That's complete BS. If there were stricter rules on TFW's it would force our industry to hire and train CANADIANS and get rid of these ridiculous hour requirements. They wouldn't have an option but to tell their customers they don't need a 1000-2000 hour pilot to fly lease to lease or on pipelines. And if they do want someone with that experience they would have to pay more for it and bring up the charter rates from 1980's rates.

Return to “International License Conversion”