converting Australian CPL(H) to Canadian CPL(H)

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
yuiop

Re: converting Australian CPL(H) to Canadian CPL(H)

Postby yuiop » Tue Nov 22 2011, 20:42

The following paragraph is copied from the Bladeslapper rules.

Bladeslapper rules.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “bladeslapper” is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that “bladeslapper” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “bladeslapper” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.

While some people maybe happy with the banning of the handle "nlnnOOnnln." I have posted the rules here and would like to know which rule was broken to justify it.
If we can't express our opinions freely what good is it to post here at all?

Tell me I am wrong but isn't "freedom of speech" a fundamental freedom we all have in the west. Right now accross the world people are oppressed and fighting for this freedom. One of the first tools of Tyrant's being removing freedom of speech.

Because you were frustrated with "nlnnOOnnln"s opinions or your inability to change them you banned that handle.
Don't you listen to what the internet means and has achieved? Governments try to control free speech on the internet but can not.
What makes you think you can.

People will always have a voice if they want one.
Power is a gift don't abuse it.
Edited by Mod, bold added to answer your question.
choppermech1986
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby choppermech1986 » Tue Nov 22 2011, 20:53

It was borderline hateful, not to mention repetitive and ignorant.

I respected his first two postings, fully considering that Chinook mightn't be the wonderfully rosy picture that is constantly painted, however I quickly lost that respect for him by the way that he carried on and have all but discarded his contributions from my reasoning process.

If he acts anything like he does on an anonymous forum as he does in real life, I can fully understand why he wasn't received at Chinook so well.
yuiop

Postby yuiop » Tue Nov 22 2011, 20:58

Please remove/ban me from from bladeslapper. With 5000 members you are not even a spec in a drop of what goes throught the interent and if you are mussling people I can see why.

Your wish is our command. Mod
Last edited by yuiop on Wed Nov 23 2011, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Tue Nov 22 2011, 21:34

yuiop wrote:But did he break the rules? Boarderline hateful is not hateful. I don't see anything about ignorant or repeditive in the rules.

Please remove/ban me from from bladeslapper. With 5000 members you are not even a spec in a drop of what goes throught he interent.

for one is was slanderous, and that alone was enough to ban him, you might also like to know that he was officially warned by the mods to pull his head in a bit but then as he went ahead and then posted the same crap again (that post was deleted by the mods and was before my last post on this thread) so it wasn't like he just got banned, he was warned, and was advised of his choices and what actions he could take. the fact that he disregarded that warning and went right ahead and posted what he had been posting all along, well we take actions we must than be responsible for those actions and bear the consequences. I believe it is only a temp ban and he can come back as normal in a few weeks when he has cooled off a bit. There was a blatant (in my opinion) disrespect and disregard for other peoples opinions on this thread, and it seemed that (to me anyway) that he felt that anything positive said about the company had to be made up and that no one could have possibly had a good experience with them. If he had just posted once or twice fine, but it went on and on and then started attacking other posters for having different experiences. not terribly professional in my book.
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Tue Nov 22 2011, 22:18

Lets move back onto topics ladies and gents or risk the thread being locked which would be a shame, preventing the exchange of information that could help a fellow pilot get new experiences and possibly his or her dream job.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
macca01
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby macca01 » Wed Nov 23 2011, 16:16

Cmon Bro, you've just blown my cover as an undercover chinook agent! Now apparently I've wasted all my money, been ripped and won't be able to get a job because it's snowing, s#!t, what have I done!
yuiop

Postby yuiop » Wed Nov 23 2011, 18:29

Ferrari Flyer. Would you recommend Coast Heli college to do the conversion?

Hello Pilots. Would you recommend Heli College to do the conversion?
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Wed Nov 23 2011, 22:16

yuiop...thought you wanted to be banned from the site a few posts ago. Have you had a change of heart?

To answer your question - yes - I would recommend Coast Helicopter College for various reasons. To keep it in perspective, the conversion is 1-2 weeks and once you've done it you're free to start your new job or start looking for one. My conversion was not perfect and there were little hiccups that had to be overcome but in the big scheme of things it's 1-2 weeks of training for a conversion versus 5-6 months for your CPL. Once you've flown in Canada, even for just a few months, whatever bad experience you had converting your licence will pale to insignificance.

Happy converting 8)
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Thu Nov 24 2011, 01:27

out of interest for those who have done the conversion, is there much difference between the two licenses? Are there any main differences in theory/air law etc or is it all pretty well in line with what we do here?
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Thu Nov 24 2011, 01:50

out of interest for those who have done the conversion, is there much difference between the two licenses? Are there any main differences in theory/air law etc or is it all pretty well in line with what we do here?

The helicopter doesn't know which country it's in. The airspace has its'differences.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Thu Nov 24 2011, 02:13

The helicopter doesn't know which country it's in.
obviously, but would you mind expanding on that second comment please Havic? I was referring to differences in the theory component, is there anything that is hugely different in their air laws to ours? What are the main things that make up the conversion process, or is it more familiarization in a new flying environment?
DaveL
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby DaveL » Thu Nov 24 2011, 02:35

Alot is very similar but there are a few differences, bear in mind I'm comparing to NZ regs here.

The exam (just the one and 60% to pass) is pretty straight forward. Theres 4 sections and you require 60% in all 4.

Met, expect more questions on conditions likely to lead to ice formation etc.

Nav has a few nav aid type questions, plotting positions from VORs and NDBs etc. I thought the maps were horribly layed out and cluttered with far too much writing and lines going everywhere.

Law wise there are a few differences with flight and duty limitations. Met minima are all in statute miles. Theres some funny airspace we don't have in NZ, class E controlled airspace that isn't really controlled.

Tech and principles of flight, well that all works the same but there will be lots of questions on icing. The performance and loading section is based off a Squirel (Astar as they call them here) so if you are familiar with the loading graph for that it will make life easier.

The flight test isn't that difficult either. You will be given a Nav to plan a prior to the test, get asked a few questions about your plan during the ground portion, few law questions and some stuff out of the flight manual. Then you will set off on the nav, you will be expected to do a ground speed check and amend your eta enroute (yes they want you to use your whiz wheel inflight). Once that is provided you will be given a basic diversion, be expected to provide a new heading and eta. Then it's a confined area, a little bit of IF and back to the airport. Expect and engine failure at some point and to be quizzed on other emergencies. Once back at the field it's all the regular stuff, normal circuit, autos, engine failure in the hover and bobs your uncle.

Well thats how it went for me, I'm sure everyone is slightly different..
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Thu Nov 24 2011, 02:45

Nicely summed up DaveL.
Just a note on the exam, as DaveL said it is a 60% pass BUT you need to get 60% for each of the four sections. So with that said, you could get an overall mark of 90% and still fail :?
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Thu Nov 24 2011, 02:49

DaveL wrote:Alot is very similar but there are a few differences, bear in mind I'm comparing to NZ regs here.

The exam (just the one and 60% to pass) is pretty straight forward. Theres 4 sections and you require 60% in all 4.

Met, expect more questions on conditions likely to lead to ice formation etc.

Nav has a few nav aid type questions, plotting positions from VORs and NDBs etc. I thought the maps were horribly layed out and cluttered with far too much writing and lines going everywhere.

Law wise there are a few differences with flight and duty limitations. Met minima are all in statute miles. Theres some funny airspace we don't have in NZ, class E controlled airspace that isn't really controlled.

Tech and principles of flight, well that all works the same but there will be lots of questions on icing. The performance and loading section is based off a Squirel (Astar as they call them here) so if you are familiar with the loading graph for that it will make life easier.

The flight test isn't that difficult either. You will be given a Nav to plan a prior to the test, get asked a few questions about your plan during the ground portion, few law questions and some stuff out of the flight manual. Then you will set off on the nav, you will be expected to do a ground speed check and amend your eta enroute (yes they want you to use your whiz wheel inflight). Once that is provided you will be given a basic diversion, be expected to provide a new heading and eta. Then it's a confined area, a little bit of IF and back to the airport. Expect and engine failure at some point and to be quizzed on other emergencies. Once back at the field it's all the regular stuff, normal circuit, autos, engine failure in the hover and bobs your uncle.

Well thats how it went for me, I'm sure everyone is slightly different..

Thank you very much Dave and Hello Pilots, that is exactly the info I was after.
cheers
:D
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Thu Nov 24 2011, 03:05

Pegs,

Pretty much how DaveL has explained it. I got near identical in the flight test also when i did mine back in 08'. I did it at Chinook and as mentioned in my earlier post had a positive experience overall. :D
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
DaveL
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby DaveL » Thu Nov 24 2011, 03:06

And how can I forget the most quintessential of Canadian questions, 'what is the minimum height you can fly over Caribou?'
Peg5

Postby Peg5 » Thu Nov 24 2011, 21:03

A few heli flight training providers in BC Canada.

helicopterscanada dot com
heli-college dot com
bchelicopters dot com
okhelicopters dot com
premierhelicoptertraining dot com
techhelicopters dot com
trkheli dot com

The shortest and surest way to live with honour in the world, is to be in reality what we would appear to be; and if we observe, we shall find, that all human virtues increase and strengthen themselves by the practice of them. "Socrates"
Last edited by Peg5 on Fri Nov 25 2011, 04:55, edited 2 times in total.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Thu Nov 24 2011, 22:04

seems to be a bit of identity theft going on here, while it is rather flattering that you want to be me :D , I'm sure you can use your limited imagination and come with your own handle and avatar pic. :!: :!: :!:

I'll leave you to work on that OK? :cool_slp:
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Fri Nov 25 2011, 00:04

In regards to the above two posts.....Thats some funny Sh*t.
100ft
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby 100ft » Fri Nov 25 2011, 01:58

Chinook is by far the biggest heli school in canada. they Issued more than half of license in canada. Cathy has built a training empire.

Return to “International License Conversion”