UK JAR CPL(H)IR TO AUSTRALIAN CASA CPL(H)IR

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
j4john

UK JAR CPL(H)IR TO AUSTRALIAN CASA CPL(H)IR

Postby j4john » Thu Oct 30 2008, 13:53

Hello all,

I`m a new boy to this site. Need some guidance for the above. I meet the requirements as per the CASA web site :D

Trying to find out if there is some study notes/question pool in preperation for the exams. Starting to send off the paper work now..

Any help is greatly appreciated

John **^**
wheatbix
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: UK JAR CPL(H)IR TO AUSTRALIAN CASA CPL(H)IR

Postby wheatbix » Thu Oct 30 2008, 19:10

Bob Tait's IREX Study Guide book is your best bet, available from most pilot stores or online.
MyTarget
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby MyTarget » Mon Jan 4 2010, 12:26

Hi if you have a JAA ATPL H with a MEIR etc do you have to still jump through all the hoops to convert to a OZ ATPL H? :D
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Mon Jan 4 2010, 13:46

Whatever the hoops may be, they are nowhere near as difficult (or expensive) to jump through in order covert a licence the other way around (ie Oz to UK).

I think someone from the UK came over recently to convert over and perhaps they mentioned that they had to pass the Instrument Rating Exam (IREX) and an ATPL(H) Air Law exam before having an ATPL(H) and MECIR being issued, along with all endorsements on the licence. Don't quote me on this though. I imagine it would be the same for CPL(H).

Advanced Flight Theory, or AFT, on the sunshine coast may well prove useful for theory notes on whatever you need, once you confirm what is required through CASA. And one suggestion, if I may, is when you deal with CASA keep a record of whom you speak to and the general nature of the conversation. The outcome required can depend on who you chat to, which day it is, how many coffees they have had, how high the tide is etc etc. It can be a frustrating process.
PumaPom
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby PumaPom » Wed Jan 6 2010, 05:15

FF - well remembered...

j4john - I am most of the way through the exact same process right now - PM me and I'll be happy to email, Skype, chat etc to point you in the right direction and get you through some of the frustrations and paperwork!!! Look up my other BS posts and you'll see some of the info/questions there, along with some good input from other BS blokes in the know.

Cheers

PP 8)
Oogle
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Oogle » Wed Jan 6 2010, 05:46

PumaPom would be the best person to ask for the licence changeover.

As for the endorsements (type ratings) that you already have, CASA will recognise them but you will have to show proof of your dual instruction time for them to grant them to you.

For the instrument rating, you will need to meet the requirements of the CAO 40.2.1 in that show that you have done 40 hours dual IF instruction with 20 hours of that in the category of aircraft (helicopter in your case) and also need to pass the Instrument Rating Exam (IREX). After all this, you will need to pass an IFR flight test with an approved examiner. Here in Aus they are known as Approved Testing Officers (ATO). CASA may have someone to do the flight test as well but the ATO would be the best bet. The test can be in a single or multi but I highly recommend using a multi engine machine. If you do the test in a single, you can only fly in command IFR in a single if you pass (or co-pilot in a multi). Multi engine command instrument rating gives you all the privileges.

As for navaids on your instrument rating, NDB or VOR is the minimum. You can be tested for all navaids but it is a long time in the saddle for your flight test. Allow at least 2.5 hours to get NDB, VOR, ILS/LLZ, DME arrivals and RNAV. The requirements for the flight test are also contained in CAO 40.2.1. These can be found on the CASA website.

Hope this helps.
MyTarget
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby MyTarget » Wed Jan 6 2010, 10:50

Thanks guys, i have a S92 rating and other medium twin ratings plus 15 years in the saddle. I am looking out the window now at the snow wishing i was back in OZ. How's the recruitment in the offshore market at the moment?

Cheers

Return to “International License Conversion”