CASA exams

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
yorkie

CASA exams

Postby yorkie » Wed Jun 16 2010, 01:44

Hi not been in Auzz long just started to do my CPL(H), and coming across CASAs horrendous ambiguous cyber exams, just wondering is there any where for help on getting through these as spending loads of money on the text books but finding half the exam questions are not out of them bless CASA. thanks for any asistance, ps Human factors with the new TEM questions no books have got anything to get you throught CASA exams, thanks very much for any help j

thanks very much for the 2 replies, im using the bob tait books but the exam wasnt like the bob tait books question,exams etc.
Last edited by yorkie on Wed Jun 16 2010, 04:13, edited 1 time in total.
Psychlic
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: CASA exams

Postby Psychlic » Wed Jun 16 2010, 02:32

Type 'threat management' into the google search window top RH screen. click 'bladeslapper' - and you'll find links to previous threads about this.

Don't over-complicate your exam sittings. The ambiguities are a known quantity, CA$A won't change a thing - just stick to the answers they want and score the marks.

Rather you than me buddy, good luck.
Far canal Captain! Yes Mr Sulu - set course for overhead Panama.
Big Beres
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Big Beres » Wed Jun 16 2010, 03:11

John - I have three words for ya "Advanced Flight Theory" - you'll get through no worries if you use these guys.

Good Luck 8)

BB
Col Lective

Postby Col Lective » Fri Jun 25 2010, 16:29

Some of the questions in the CASA cyber exams are ambiguous and I think it is down to poor grammar.

I called CASA to query two questions and to point this out and after the conversation I understood perfectly why this is happening. The person responsible for the questions uses English as their second language and probably doesnt understand the grammatical ambiguities. However this was a few years back and it could all have changed.

I suggested that perhaps it would be a good idea to have all questions vetted by a suitably qualified person.
e.g. an English teacher who has a PPL or CPL.

I'm afraid to say that the way to pass the exams is to be so darn good at passing practice exams that the one or two questions you fail [because of amibiguity] does not cause a fail.

Further, if you fail, dont bother ringing CASA to dispute a question. Just resit as soon as possible. By the time they look into the issue many weeks will have passed and you might have forgotten much of the material.
hawk1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby hawk1 » Sat Jun 26 2010, 01:25

I have spoken to casa about some of the exams and they basically say they are designed so you can't get 100%,they really want you to think outside the square,but 100% can be achieved.good luck.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Sat Jun 26 2010, 02:13

OK

For my 1000th post, I’m going to clarify something that’s been said before:

CA$A are your enemy.
)c/ )c/ )c/ )c/ )c/ )c/

The only honest thing they do is confirm their “enemy status” quite clearly to every new aviator immediately they have any sort of aviation involvement.

CA$A do this by exposing the new, keen, and ready to be influenced aviator to a pathetically written, educationally unsound, barely relevant exam. These expensive exams are administered by an incompetent and uncaring organisation, which is quite happy for people’s efforts and expenses to be wasted.

This situation ensures that by the time anyone has any sort of aviation licence; they have no doubt who the enemy is.

CA$A obviously want their enemy status known, why else would the above situation be so rigorously maintained.
CA$A must be happy that no one would ever go to them seeking advice, expecting help or sense.
Less work for CA$A if everyone avoids them as much as possible, and at all possible costs (User pays, cost recovery)

There have been some notable exceptions to this “rule”, persons that think CASA might work with the industry for greater safety, etc. These misfits are weeded out quite quickly.

The ones that do fit, the obstructionist, unqualified, English as a second language, Grand wizards of the exam fiefdom will last till the government pension.

Any weight and balance exam where the answers are within the width of a pencil line, on a photo copied graph, is missing the point, at best...... Oc:=

"Learn the answers, pass the 'test', move on" :too_cool:

Sky "4th Dan" Pig **^** 8) 8)

And I was trying to be positive..... :P
Trailing edge
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Trailing edge » Sat Jun 26 2010, 02:29

Let me be the first to congratulate you Sky '1000 posts' Pig

TE
Whoever said torque is cheap has never flown a helicopter
droptmcguts
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby droptmcguts » Sat Jun 26 2010, 02:43

Congrats SkyPig... Oik Oik.. :wink:

But let us not also forget the CASA Motto:

Here At CASA, We Are Not Happy - Till Your Not Happy.
Men have only 2 emotional states, hungry and horny.. So ladies, if you see me without an erection, make me a sandwich.
hummingbyrd
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby hummingbyrd » Sat Jun 26 2010, 03:05

Congratulations Piggy!! **^** What a way to celebrate! Very cool 8)

And as usual, your post is relevant, factual and totally to the point...

Some things NEVER change:
CA$A, their attitude, their arrogance and unwavering self-aggrandisement with no recourse or option for appeal Oc:=

and Skypig's consistently fine posts :D

More to celebrate next time.. :wink:
andronicus
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby andronicus » Sat Jun 26 2010, 11:20

Interesting point Sky pig, do you really think that CA$A fake their complete incompetence in order to enjoy a relaxing day at the office?, as a fellow tax payer (albeit minimal) and someone who only recently received their medical after two months of waiting, interspersed with phone calls and change of address emails, I would like to know.

Wouldn't it be nice if the private sector worked the same?, do bugger all work, when you do something as simple as licking a stamp, cock it up completely, probably wouldn't be that good in the aviation industry mind you.

Also congratulations Pig, some grand heights you have reached.

And "How many Dan's are there?" ronicus

Oh and I haven't done any Ca$A exams as yet, but they sound very similar to CAA ones.
N17C1

Postby N17C1 » Wed Jan 11 2012, 05:53

Sorry to resurrect the post...but...it sounds like things are not getting any better. I did my CPL(H) theory back in the paper days. The exam hadn't been changed for many many years and so we were pretty well prepared for the exam. An area I practiced a lot was weight and balance and I also had a very good theory instructor. So I got into the exams and went through weight and balance thoroughly and found that two of the questions did not have any correct answer. I figure weight and balance shouldn't be a 'mostly correct' topic. On going through the calculations again I found where they had made their mistake and chose the answers that they would have got if they had done weight and balance the wrong way.

After the exam I explained the situation to my theory instructor. He rang CASA to tell them that there were two incorrect exam questions. Their response? They asked for my name so that they could fail me for passing on exam information! When he refused they said they would fail all students from that training school that had sat the exam for the last six months!!

It took some robust arguing from the school owner to convince them that when a someone points out an error in the exam, you should fix it. CASA said they wouldn't fix the exam because they didn't have a helicopter qualified senior examiner (or any at all) and hadn't had one for six years!!!

The good news ending was that they didn't fail me (I got over 90% - yay!) and actually contracted the Chief Instructor to re-write the exam. I'm not sure if they ever used it.

So - silly responses from CASA may just be a way of masking incompetence or lack of skill. To paraphrase "Never put down to malice what can be explained by incompetence". I've worked for other government departments and can tell you there has never been a truer word spoken.
Robinsondog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Robinsondog » Wed Jan 11 2012, 11:49

N17C1,

I sincerely hope that you and your instructor took that gross insult and details further, officially. Your local Federal member, the CASA CEO, CASA area manager, Ombudsman etc, what a turkey. Just unbelievable, not much wonder they find it hard to employ people with that bumptous attitude.

RD
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Wed Jan 11 2012, 21:31

CASA - Civil Aviation Stifling Authority.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Fri Jan 13 2012, 11:10

Everyone loves a good CASA bashing session and I am no different. It is sadly a case of the more things change the more they stay the same. Having endured 'those' exams up to the ATPL level I can safely say that I have sat my last exam. The thought of doing what a good friend of mine has done - going onto finish his ATPL-A subjects as well ATPL-H - would fill me with a dread not seen in a man before. The exams dished up to the industry truly are disgraceful in so many ways though sadly trying to change things for the better would be akin to pushing an elephant up a muddy hill in a pair of pluggers (or jandels for our island bro's to the east).
chopperdavo
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby chopperdavo » Fri Jan 13 2012, 19:13

I've been looking everywhere on the CA$A website for information in regards to sitting ATPL subjects.

I'm currently living in NZ, and not to keen on having to fly across the ditch every time i'm ready for an exam...

Does anyone know if it's at all possible to do these exams over here (even through an ozzie consulate). I know you can do the CAA exams in a s#!t load of different countries, but can't find any info about the CA$A exams.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...
Flying a Helicopter is living the dream....
Rotorpilot
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Rotorpilot » Fri Jan 13 2012, 22:41

Big Beres wrote:John - I have three words for ya "Advanced Flight Theory" - you'll get through no worries if you use these guys.

Good Luck 8)

BB

Yep these guys are good! (c:_ol
Dem winds are gonna blow
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sat Jan 14 2012, 00:30

Chopperdavo...you might be out of luck mate:

http://aslau.aspeqexams.com/Venue

As far as I am aware you can only sit the exams here in Australia.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Sat Jan 14 2012, 00:50

Also on top of what FF has posted, I remember when i went upto AFT (great place by the way!) there were quite a few guys from over the dutch and they had to validate their NZ licence before they could attemp the CA$A Atpl's, just double check on this also....Enjoy :shock:
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
agastya

Postby agastya » Sun Mar 8 2015, 15:03

Hi everybody

i can see that you guys already have your licenses; i am attending the CPL(H) course now, and i would like to practice more cyberexams for the CASA exam; unfortunatly in AFT website, they provide only24 exams to share within the 8 subjects, if i want more, i must pay extra, i don´t mind to pay, but they sell it too expensive; i was wondering if you know where i can get cyberexam database to practice.
i would be much appreciated.

Regards,
SpecialGray
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SpecialGray » Thu Mar 12 2015, 11:09

Hey Yorkie,

I've recently finished the exams for CPL(H) and they can be tough. I used the AFT notes that others suggested which appear to be the Bob Tait material, but with updates, clarifications and other information that you'll need. If you do the AFT course and pass the mock tests they provide, I reckon you'll pass the actual exam with score about 10% - 15% lower than the AFT exams. I think they could do with some animations, video presentations and interactive content to bring them up to date with modern teaching methods, but they are good as old fashioned book learning goes.

Lots of have been said about the exams and I'd agree with most of it. I viewed them as 50% useful knowledge, 25% related, but unlikely to come in useful knowledge (plane stuff, older NAV systems etc) and 25% assorted bollocks to fill up your brain with stuff that you only need to remember long enough to regurgitate on exam day. I wrote a few thoughts about the exam structure here, so if you have a min have a read though.

http://www.bladeslapper.com/content/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9756&p=68944#p68944

Good luck!
While many enjoy activities where they challenge themselves to their physical limit, I prefer to do the same thing with my mind. That’s why I go on BladeSlapper, to be around other people who also enjoy being mentally challenged.

Return to “International License Conversion”