Recognition of FAA training hours in Oz/CASA

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
SkyBurner
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Recognition of FAA training hours in Oz/CASA

Postby SkyBurner » Wed Jun 15 2011, 23:26

Im not referring to people who properly train in the US and convert their licence over to CASA. I'm referring to the Aus pilots who hold a private CASA licence, shoot over to the US and take out the FAA CPL(H), complete less than 10 hours flying training including the flight test and one exam (questions and answers provided), return to Oz with a fresh FAA CPL(H) complete yet another airlaw exam and a flight test buy a questionable Testing officer and hey presto! A shiny new CASA CPL(H), completely bypassing all 6 remaining theory subjects and the appropriate flying training as outlined in the Day VFR syllabus.
I know I didn't get my licence out of a cornflakes box.
harold
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby harold » Thu Jun 16 2011, 00:44

Let's not kid ourselves! The US FAA conversion from oz PPL to US CPL is a single examination that most can pass with as little as 2 days study! How can that arrangement possibly cover the 7 examinations you are expected to complete here in Oztrailer?
Jamie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Jamie » Thu Jun 16 2011, 00:57

Just out of curiosity, Skyburner and Harold, did you guys do this conversion?
You seem to know the ins and outs of the FAA examination system from experience.
SkyBurner
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SkyBurner » Thu Jun 16 2011, 01:47

No Jamie, as i said before im not interested in a Cornflakes Box licence but i know of three people who have done it. These people are now out there pretending to be commercial pilots with the experience and training of a PPL(H). Seems a bit dangerous to me!
SkyBurner
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SkyBurner » Thu Jun 16 2011, 11:14

Judging by how defensive you are I'm sure your one of these People running around with a pretend CPL(H).
harold
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby harold » Sat Jun 18 2011, 05:05

Jamie,
I suggest that if you did the conversion from from the Australian PPL level to CPL FAA and then back again, I would be in serious doubt that you would be in a position to hire/fire anybody!
As for the others Operators you mention; might interest you to note that some of those WILL NOT consider CPL's that have obtained their licence this way! Oc:=

Gents...might I suggest a brief time out, a few deep breaths and come back to discuss later as the adults that we are...!?! :roll: It's just a wee bit too early on a Saturday afternoon to have to start deleting stuff. Mod
Jamie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Jamie » Sat Jun 18 2011, 06:16

Harold, Bristow think the FAA model is good enough that they send their Australian trainee pilots to get their FAA license first in Florida and then convert it to CASA. Bristow Academy advertise on their website an Oz pilot who now works at Heli West. Do you need any more proof? I'm not saying it's better training than Oz schools, just that it is not what some ignorant people are making it out to be. By the way, why do you assume all pilots who have converted from FAA to CASA started with an Oz ppl?
Peter Holstein
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Peter Holstein » Sat Jun 18 2011, 07:05

Perhaps my original post wasn't clear enough! The problem lies with the present arrangement whereby a PPL(H) goes to the US and converts to US CPL(H) and then converts back to Aus CPL(H). This routine shortcuts the Australian theoretical requirements!
Converts will require 300 hours on their o/s CPL before they can convert that licence to the Australian equivalent!
This requirement will NOT effect NZ converts utilizing the TTRMA provisions!
I hope that clears this issue up!
Jamie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Jamie » Sat Jun 18 2011, 09:40

You were crystal clear the first time Peter.
Although I don't know of anybody who has done the FAA conversion that way, the CASA flight set is still the same as for any other CPL student. For people to claim these pilots are 'dangerous' is a falsehood.
From personal experience, the FAA flight test required a 4 hour aural exam on a complete review of the knowledge of all parts of theory, not just the kdr's as in Oz. Any deficiency in theory would be found out in the aural test. The US instructor must sign off as personally examining the student's knowledge before they can sit the exam. Any failure shows up on the FAA Instructor's record.
Maybe a student could 'wrote' learn the theory computer test but this would catch them out in the Aural exam.
rockdropper

Postby rockdropper » Sun Apr 29 2012, 02:38

G'day

I'm considering going to the US to complete a PPL (H), and take a holiday! I intend to convert this to an OZ PPL (H) on my return. I already hold an OZ CPL (A) and have completed the CPL (H) exams. CASA's website is not particularly informative. Does anybody know if this is a relitively straight forward conversion, perhaps with a check flight, or would it be more involved than that? Has anybody here done this before?

Cheers.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sun Apr 29 2012, 03:09

Send an email to CLARC at CASA and they will give you a definitive answer that you can rely on. It might take 1 - 2 weeks to get a response but then you will know exactly where you stand.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
cassidy_copter
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby cassidy_copter » Sun Apr 29 2012, 03:44

Rockdropper,

Don't drop the ball. Check your Personal Messages.

CC
Never take "No" for an answer.

Return to “International License Conversion”