Obtaining an FAA Licence

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
goose1980

Re: Obtaining an FAA Licence

Postby goose1980 » Tue Jun 19 2012, 13:31

LOS ANGELES HELICOPTERS

This company is small , extremely good, and tailor to your needs, I just did FAA license with them, great rates 230US solo 265us DUAL

they are based at Long beach airport, longbeach is a great town just south of LA, weather is brilliant all year round

The chief pilot is the flight safety chief instructor for R22, CPL check ride examiners are robinsons chief test pilots
pilotheli
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby pilotheli » Thu Jun 21 2012, 23:35

Your private is very easy, I'm in the US atm and literally got mine 2 days ago. You do most of it online (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificate ... ification/) and then will require to nominate a FSDO - Flight Standards District Office to attend to get your license. There is a special form in there to be sent to CASA (http://www.casa.gov.au/manuals/regulate/fcl/form452.pdf) giving them permission to supply your license information to the FAA ($50). I'd allow about 2 weeks prior to leaving Oz. Once you have your letter (mine was fax'd) from the FAA Flight Standards Service - Airman Certification Branch, wait a day or so, then contact your nominated FSDO to make an appointment. During the appointment, you will need to take all your original docs (license, medical etc - make sure you know the first and last name of the DAME that did you last medical), including the letter from the FAA-FSS-ACB, they will verify and issue you a temp license on the spot...

All a little scarey if you ask me... I've flown in most of the major airposts in Oz (mainly Sydney) and now done approx 10hrs in and around the Bay Area over the past week, I certainly won't being doing as PIC for a while. There are a few significant and some subtle differences in the air space and procedures, but the biggest issue is the insane amount of traffic...

I'll have a better idea (first hand knowledge) of the commercial and instructor requirements in a few days...
Little Bird
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Little Bird » Sat Jun 30 2012, 04:12

Hmmmm... Hawaii & L.A. are a bit further west but have time, will travel. Let's see...
I see Part 135 requirements call for 25 hours/night x-country. Makes it a bit of a challenge coming from Oz with no night. Has anyone here gone through that process of building night-time in the US? Did you have an actual job or did you do some ferries or pvt flying?
Thanks all.
goose1980

Postby goose1980 » Sat Jun 30 2012, 09:30

I thought you only needed 5 hours PIC night including one 2 hour x-country at night!
Little Bird
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Little Bird » Sun Jul 1 2012, 06:55

The FAA license calls for 5 hours at night, but if you want to be a Part 135 pilot (flying tours for example) then you need another 20 hours...
notam
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby notam » Wed Nov 21 2012, 10:45

Hi, I have read all the current posts on converting CPL to FAA CPL however talk about information overload.
Saying that Ive got a heap of utility time these days and I would just like to know from somebody who has done the conversion recently
How long did it take and how much was the exercise and who to contact..

All experienced help would be gratefully appreciated.
HeliKiwi500
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby HeliKiwi500 » Sat Feb 9 2013, 17:41

notam wrote:Hi, I have read all the current posts on converting CPL to FAA CPL however talk about information overload.
Saying that Ive got a heap of utility time these days and I would just like to know from somebody who has done the conversion recently
How long did it take and how much was the exercise and who to contact..

All experienced help would be gratefully appreciated.

I just converted NZ commercial to FAA commercial. Pretty easy. The only hours I needed were my night and night xc time. They issued me a private pilot certificate a month and half after I sent all the paperwork in the CAA and FAA for lic. verification.

You need to do at least 3 hrs with the instructor from the school you are going to use in preparation for the practical test. Before you can do the practical test (flight portion), you have to do the written exam and pass above 70%. There is prepware out there that will give you 90% of the questions they can ask you and you pretty much just memorize the answers and the same questions will be on the written exam. Once all that is done, you can schedule you FAA check ride. The day of the check ride, you will have an oral exam. Mine lasted about 3 hrs of oral exam and 1.5 hr flight. The first portion of the check ride was a xc, did a few legs of the flight and then back to the airport to do all the emergency procedures. Overall pretty easy. I suggest getting and FAA medical. It's is very easy and cheap to get a medical in the US.

And any of the hours after PPL, including dual instruction flights, are considered PIC.

Link to the Oral exam, with the questions they can ask you on the day of your check ride.
http://www.amazon.com/Helicopter-Oral-E ... 1560276088

Link to the prepware for the commercial written test (these are the exact questions you will be tested on).
http://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Pilot- ... helicopter

Here are the minimum hours needed.

■For a helicopter rating.
Must log at least 150 hours of flight time as a pilot
that consists of at least:
(1) 100 hours in powered aircraft, of which 50 hours must be in helicopters.
(2) 100 hours of pilot-in-command flight time, which includes at least—
(i) 35 hours in helicopters; and
(ii) 10 hours in cross-country flight in helicopters. (3) 20 hours of training that includes at least—
(i) Five hours on the control and maneuvering of a helicopter solely by reference to instruments using a view-limiting device including attitude instrument flying, partial panel skills, recovery from unusual flight attitudes, and intercepting and tracking navigational systems. This aeronautical experience may be performed in an aircraft, flight simulator, flight training device, or an aviation training device;
(ii) One 2-hour cross country flight in a helicopter in daytime conditions that consists of a total straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure;
(iii) One 2-hour cross country flight in a helicopter in nighttime conditions that consists of a total straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and
(iv) Three hours in a helicopter with an authorized instructor in preparation for the practical test within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test.
(4) Ten hours of solo flight time in a helicopter or 10 hours of flight time performing the duties of pilot in command in a helicopter with an authorized instructor on board that includes—
(i) One cross-country flight with landings at a minimum of three points, with one segment consisting of a straight-line distance of at least 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and
(ii) 5 hours in night VFR conditions with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern).
Last edited by HeliKiwi500 on Sun Feb 10 2013, 01:23, edited 1 time in total.
Firefish
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Firefish » Sat Feb 9 2013, 21:32

Hey guys,

I did my FAA conversion with Jerry Trimble helicopters in McMinneville Oregon. Jerry or Alison with explain the steps you need to go through and also help you with them. Very relaxed atmosphere there and you can do the lot with them. Evergreen has an amazing aviation museum there as well which you've got to see to believe. I think that they have also just set up a school in Texas also. Contact them at;

jerrytrimblehelicopters.com.

Good luck.
HeviHR
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby HeviHR » Sun Feb 10 2013, 07:22

I did my FAA ATP at Helistream in LA.

http://helistream.com/helicopter-training-school/

They were good, but the airspace in that area is a challenge. All that was required was a local famil flight with a CFII and then an oral and check-ride with an ATO. It was no drama at all, apart from the radio work because those LA controllers talk too fast! Fortunately for me the ATO was happy to play co-pilot and I got him to look after the radios, otherwise it would have been quite a difficult assignment.
Little Bird
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Little Bird » Sat Jun 1 2013, 03:37

Morning all,
Looks like I'll be based in Tucson, Arizona now. I've asked over on the US forums, but has anyone here flown & trained/worked in Az?
Cheers!
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Sat Jun 1 2013, 04:09

I used to fly through Tuscan when I was ferrying 44's from the factory back to Texas.

It's all pretty straight forward, just be mindful that there's a lot of Military traffic operating in Az and they ALWAYS have right of way, despite what the air law says.
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...
Little Bird
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Little Bird » Thu Jan 16 2014, 14:13

What's been some experiences of the number of hours you've needed to fly before taking the check ride? I know you need to demonstrate you know the syllabus and any defecits such as night/instrument. One poster early on stated 20-30 hours, does that seem to be the norm?
Cheers
BJM09
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby BJM09 » Thu Jan 16 2014, 14:27

If anyone would like more info on training in the US PM me. I converted my Aussie license 5 years ago and am now running a flight school and flying 135 ops around NY.

I would be happy to answer any of your questions.
Gary

Postby Gary » Wed Mar 5 2014, 03:24

BJM09,

I'm moving to NY in June and will be looking to convert my Aus ATPL(H) to FAA.
I just joined the forum so can't PM yet, do you have an email I could send to?

Thanks
Gary
lowlevelhell
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby lowlevelhell » Thu Mar 13 2014, 05:21

I'd like to add my 2c worth. I moved over to San Francisco in '94 to do my CASA CPL(H) conversion to a US FAA CPL(H) and CFI. Contrary to what MANY people think, it's NOT a cake-walk. Even though I already held the CPL here, I learned a helluva lot over there, I was taught stuff there I never learned here and quite often looked the fool when asked things as a CPL that I couldn't answer!. I also found I had to do a LOT MORE study than here to pass the requisite writtens/orals/checkride. My advice is to find a Part 141 school, much better quality experience all 'round as to get that acreditation from the FAA means you have to have a better structured syllabus even though you have to meet the same standard of performance. The US don't log PIC time the same as here, and that's where I had to bring my PIC time up to their specs before I could sit for the CPL checkride, and I had to do the full written exam and oral too. I went over under the J1 visa program that allows you to live AND work for 2 years so after you're done with your conversion you can stay for the remainder of the visa time. I was lucky enough to be hired as a CFI from the school I tested with on the same day I finished my rating so I didn't have to move around looking for a job or familiarise myself with different airports. I did it through Helicopter Adventures Inc which has since become Bristow Academy. They went from operating a B206 out of a trailer in California, to expanding to Lousianna (Vortex) and Florida and becoming the worlds biggest civilian helicopter flight school with international and military training contracts, then eventually sold off 20 years later to Bristow. Not bad for the two wiley Irish guys who started it all!. Having flown in 3 different countries I DEFINATELY recommend going over and trying your luck, you'll see and do things you could never dream of here, and in a lot less time. I'd move back in a heart beat if I could legally work there. I go back every two years to renew my CFI at Heli-Expo and catch up with old flying mates, they all tell me the GFC didn't affect the heli industry over there and if you have the experience and work authority there are TONS of jobs. I envy all my mates who live and work there. As stated by BJM09, if anyone has any questions I be happy to help them out.
No bucks? No Buck Rogers! 8)
Gary

Postby Gary » Thu Mar 13 2014, 10:48

Lowlevelhell,

As I mentioned above I'm heading over in a few months.
I can't PM yet, but would I be able to email you about it?

Thanks
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Thu Mar 13 2014, 12:44

Gary...after three posts you are able to use the PM function...one to go :wink:
Gary

Postby Gary » Fri Mar 14 2014, 23:20

good to know!
thanks
Lude
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Lude » Sun May 17 2015, 04:34

I will second Mauna Loa Helicopters in Hawaii for FAA initial license or conversions.

They can issue M1 or F1 visas depending on your situation.

I am currently working there myself as an instructor and seeing quite a few Aussies coming over to get their ATP completed.

If anyone is interested and needs more info, give me a PM.
wheatbix
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby wheatbix » Sun May 17 2015, 04:49

@Lude, why did you drag this thread up from over a year ago just to pump your own tires?

I've just gone through the conversion process. If you're looking for a very competitively priced, extremely experienced, hospitable and smaller flight school where you're more then just a number I'd recommend jerry Trimble helicopters out of Oregon. The terrain is stunning, they have cheap accommodation, it's easily accessible and for me it was an awesome experience.

For those looking to do an ATP or instrument rating there's an exceptional amount of instrument approaches all around McMinnville where they're based. There's also a very experienced and practical DPE (FAA ATO equivalent) close by.

Return to “International License Conversion”