Canadian Commercial to Australian Commercial

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
Invisible

Canadian Commercial to Australian Commercial

Postby Invisible » Sun Feb 19 2006, 02:08

Question for the masses. We often get Australian pilots in Canada converting licences. What is the process to go the opposite? Is it a predetermined amount of hours with an instructor followed by a checkride with an inspector from the regulatory authority, or is there more to it ?
To keep it simple - I'm talking single engine turbine VFR. :)
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Conversion

Postby helothere » Sun Feb 19 2006, 21:07

In general , pilots wanting to convert a foreign licence to an Australian licence need to pass a Flight Rules and Air Law written exam and do a flight test. You'll also need to get a class 1 Australian medical certificate.

For more detailed info on converting to an Australian CPL(H), check here http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/download/cplh_requirements.pdf

Your aircraft endorsements will carry through as long as the same type of aircraft is, has been, or will be soon, on the Australian register.

More info on endorsements here http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/download/os_endorsement.pdf

For more related info, go here http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/overbr.htm

8)
Invisible

Postby Invisible » Sun Feb 19 2006, 22:24

Thanks much for the information and the links ! :D
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

How about the other way?

Postby helothere » Sun Feb 19 2006, 23:19

What's involved in converting Australian to Canadian, eh?

Can you buy bear repellant at the local corner shop? :shock: :wink:
Invisible

Postby Invisible » Mon Feb 20 2006, 00:30

My understanding is that the system is very similar from what I've read in the links you provided. It would require the recommendation of a Canadian Instructor, and exam, and submission of log books and Australian licence to confirm aircraft endorsements. Instrument Rating would require a second ride.

No current need for bear repellant as it's hibernation time. However the beaver is a fierce and misunderstood animal. Likely similar to the roving gangs of kangaroos armed with knives and chains drinking that beer that the rest of the world actually believes Aussies drink. (Caution: The previous statement is dripping with sarcasm, and does not display the attitude of all of Canada's forgiving populace) :lol:
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Touche!

Postby helothere » Tue Feb 21 2006, 04:21

Nice one, I don't normally make such generalisations but I just happen to be bearaphobic ever since I saw the movie "Grizzly" at the cinema when I was about 5 years old. It is a story of a 30 foot bear running around eating people, it even shakes a guy out of a fire spotting tower and, you guessed it, eats him. I'm trembling just thinking about it...
:o

I'm sure they are lovely creatures, I'm just not all that keen on being any other animals lunch...
scobie
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Canadian Commercial to Australian Commercial

Postby scobie » Tue Nov 11 2008, 23:33

Hi guy's, was just reading the link that Helothere posted for the casa foreign license conversion and came up with the understanding that you only have to do a check ride and the irex exam to convert a canadian CIR to an oz one. Can anyone let me know if this is correct?
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: Canadian Commercial to Australian Commercial

Postby Yankee » Mon Oct 31 2011, 15:00

Ok,

So, i've read the requirements to convert foreign licenses to CAA/CASA equivalent... Questions still remain. Once you've passed an Air Law exam does it ever expire??? The reason I ask this is because it seems to convert an ATPL (H) you're required to do a flight test in a Multi Engine Helicopter... (I'm a pilot not a millionaire)... I'm considering taking a trip downunder and doing the exams while I'm there then looking for work at a later date and maybe a new employer would sponsor the flight portion??? I'm already legal to live and work at either NZ or OZ...

BTW, anyone who has done the ATPL conversion, I'd like to know who you went through and how much it cost???

Thanks for the help!
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.

Return to “International License Conversion”