Oz CPLH to Nz CPLH

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
mdav
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Oz CPLH to Nz CPLH

Postby mdav » Thu Nov 1 2018, 00:23

I’m getting some mixed information regarding the trans Tasman agreement to convert oz cpl to nz. Can someone verify do you need to do a nz class one or is your Aussie one accepted till it’s expiry? Do I need to do the nz air law exam?

The CAA website mentions nothing regarding air law. So if anyone has done this lately would be keen to know your thoughts.
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby 407 » Thu Nov 1 2018, 00:43

If you read this both your questions are answered in plain English too.

https://www.caa.govt.nz/assets/legacy/p ... _Issue.pdf
mdav
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby mdav » Thu Nov 1 2018, 01:31

So seems you dont need a NZ medical going by that PDF to issue a licence but to make use of it you need a medical and a BFR. I did read somewhere which i now cant find that your aussie class 1 medical is good till it expires and then you need a nz one.

Australian regulations and orders do not
apply in New Zealand, therefore, prior to exercising the privileges of any NZ licence or
rating in New Zealand, holders must gain a New Zealand Class 1 Medical Certificate and
complete the applicable NZ BFR

Again no mention of a Air Law Credit which contradicts some of the above slapper responses which is why i was wondering then there is this on that PDF.
Australian pilots are not required to undergo any theory examinations prior to the issue of
an equivalent NZ licence.

Still some gray areas.
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby 407 » Thu Nov 1 2018, 01:44

No grey areas at all...

On the same PDF, under 'General Information' it states -

"Australian pilots are not required to undergo any theory examinations prior to the issue of
an equivalent NZ licence."

And then directly below that is...

"Person’s who gain a NZ licence under the TTMRA, are required to gain a NZ Class 1
medical certificate and complete the appropriate pilot competency demonstration before
exercising the privileges of their licence."
mdav
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby mdav » Thu Nov 1 2018, 02:35

Thanks 407 for telling me what i had just written previously :wink: , the reason i asked is due to the above comments, where others had different experiences. Anyway I have now just spoken to CAA NZ and they have confirmed the above and yes no Air law required. Happy days.
Icefather
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Icefather » Thu Nov 1 2018, 09:32

Now I may be reading too far into it but though the license transfers through the TTMRA no problem I was still led to believe you still needed to meet the requirements to hold a NZ CPL H including Sling time and mountain time ..
Cleared Hot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Cleared Hot » Thu Nov 1 2018, 11:22

Yes you still do icefather, Apart from what mdav has mentioned already you still need sling plus mountain to meet minimum requirements of the NZ CPL. Think it’s 7 hours sling and 10 mountain plus 155 hours or something min on helicopter.
Assume the Position
rex bivouac
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby rex bivouac » Fri Nov 2 2018, 23:49

Just write the sling ...... arrrh sorry yes someone will be able to help you with the sling .
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Sat Nov 3 2018, 01:09

Return to “International License Conversion”