South Africa PPL to Australian PPL

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
Scotsman

South Africa PPL to Australian PPL

Postby Scotsman » Sun Jan 4 2015, 08:46

Hi Guys, I have a potential non flying job offer in Sydney for one of the local banks and I wanted to understand what it would take to convert a South African PPL (H) to the Australian equivalent. I tried to navigate the CASA website but when I go for the download of the right manual it is giving me a virus/vulnerability warning so I thought I would post here instead. Anyone give me a steer as to what is required to do the conversion?

I see a lot of negative stuff on the site about flying in Oz being over regulated. Is it still viable to fly in Sydney privately as a weekend warrior and to enjoy the flying? Thanks in advance.
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: South Africa PPL to Australian PPL

Postby arrrj » Mon Jan 5 2015, 11:57

Scotsman,

I cannot comment on the conversion of your licence, as everything is / has changed and no one really knows. I suggest a call to the CASA helpline.

As for flying in Sydney (or AUS generally) there are heaps of private helicopters around (many in Sydney, some with private pads) and whilst the scene may be over regulated and complex, and getting more so, flying in and around Sydney is easy. I would strongly suggest that regardless of what you have to do to convert your licence, that you employ a local school to show you the Sydney ropes...and then it will all be smooth.

Don't be put off by the negative vibe, you can easily fly in Aus.

Arrrj
froginasock
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby froginasock » Mon Jan 5 2015, 23:26

Scotsman,

Process not too difficult.
Ref: 61.125
You'll need to provide CASA:
1.Evidence of PPL from ICAO contracting state - (South Africa is one)
2.Be 17+ years old
3. Hold an english language proficiency - ELP 4 or higher
4. Authority to operate aircraft radio (old Flight Radio Operator Licence - FROL)
5. Pass a security check (ASIC).
6. Have a class 2 medical certificate (your foreign one may be accepted - but it will be a simpler process if you have an Australian one)

This is essentially a paperwork exercise and a good flight school should be able to easily help. My suggestion is that - obtain an Aviation Reference Number - ARN (application form from CASA website) before you do anything else.

Then get the Medical done (you'll need that for the ASIC application)

Then ASIC - FROL - ELP paperwork along with certified copies of relevant licence ratings/endorsements etc and send to CASA.

They 'may' determine if you need a flight test or not after that point for PPL (CPL or ATPL requires a flight test and some exams - but not PPL)

Frog
Scotsman

Postby Scotsman » Tue Jan 6 2015, 18:18

Thanks guys, doesn't sound too bad in terms of the paperwork. Beautiful looking country so glad to hear that it is still viable to fly despite the regs.....just hope that there is a job offer to experience it!
Scotsman

Postby Scotsman » Thu Feb 12 2015, 07:19

Job offer looks like it might be forthcoming....so time to check the hire and fly prices! Would appreciate it guys if you could give me any guidance on the hire and fly prices for the 22 and 44 in and around Sydney?

If this works out I will only be a freshly minted ppl and I don't know whether this will affect potentially an insurance premium loading which might negatively affect the hourly rate.

Any responses much appreciated.
Pepi

Postby Pepi » Sun Feb 15 2015, 20:01

Hello Scotsman,

In my experience, the most competitive rates around Sydney is Aerowasp in Camden. A bit of a drive out there if you are in the city, but still really nice, towered aerodrome and much closer to the training area than Bankstown, and also no waiting for 15 mins to get clearance burning up precious flight time sitting at the holding point.

http://aerowasphelicopters.com.au

Rates are on their website, check them out,

Cheers,
Pepi
heli2o
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby heli2o » Sun Feb 15 2015, 21:09

Pepi wrote:Hello Scotsman,

In my experience, the most competitive rates around Sydney is Aerowasp in Camden. A bit of a drive out there if you are in the city, but still really nice, towered aerodrome and much closer to the training area than Bankstown, and also no waiting for 15 mins to get clearance burning up precious flight time sitting at the holding point.

http://aerowasphelicopters.com.au

Rates are on their website, check them out,

Cheers,
Pepi

Hi scotsman,

I'd done the rates comparison not too long ago and have found somewhere better than camden, so do the research its quite easy considering the limited number of places in syd. As for waiting 15min for a clearance at bankstown, never happened to me.
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Mon Feb 16 2015, 00:01

Scotsman,

Try Bankstown Helis, call Billy. 10,000 hour plus master. Rates will be much the same, the important thing is the teaching !

I have flown in / out of Bankstown a million times over many, many years, and have never had to hold, maybe slow down, but not "hold". Plus, learning at Bankstown gives you the experience you need to fly in a busy airspace, which is what Sydney is.

Enjoy.

Arrrj
Scotsman

Postby Scotsman » Mon Feb 16 2015, 20:44

Thanks guys the prices seem ok. Really looking forward to flying in and around Sydney.

Now to do battle with the CASA avmed folk about a previous medical issue that the SA folk cleared me to fly with.....from the first email with them I can see that it will be a painful process!

Return to “International License Conversion”