Brazilian CPL(H) to Australian ADVICE

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
BRHeli

Brazilian CPL(H) to Australian ADVICE

Postby BRHeli » Tue Mar 3 2015, 18:12

Hello,

I would like to ask you all for some advice.

I lived in Australia for four years when I was a bit younger and since I came back to Brazil I've been looking for ways to permanently migrate back.

I've got a Brazilian (ICAO member) CPL(H) with currently 160 hours, I have flow R22, R44 and R66. Currently I'm flying an R44 for a private owner, doing about 20 hours per month.

Since I saw Helicopter Pilot on the Western Australian Skilled Migration Occupation List my plan has been: build up some hours, head to Australia and get my license converted.

My questions are: How many hours are enough? (Nothing fancy, I'm only looking for and entry level job, maybe even part-time) Where should I look for jobs? (The list in from WA but I haven't found many opportunities there)

If you could take the time to read and replied it, thank you very much!
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Brazilian CPL(H) to Australian ADVICE

Postby ChicoCheco » Wed Mar 4 2015, 10:40

20hrs a month flying private owner? I wish.

I keep reading how 500hrs is all one needs (besides commercial and being Brazilian national) for copilot jobs flying to rigs.
Why would you want to compete with many low timers in Australia without bigger twin time?

I recommend sticking it out in Brazil for year or two flying R44 or R66. You're doing good, trust me. I wish there were as many R44 private ops jobs elsewhere, rich owners to fly, or scenics/charter, as there are in Brazil.

You are unlikely to secure residence through being low timer CPL holder, if you don't have skilled job to use.
There are exceptions, but that doesn't apply to you right now and those would be case by case basis being job ready and in Australia, so yeah. Oh, even experienced offshore pilots may not be entertained by the big players in terms of relocating to Australia (securing job offer from outside Australia).

Did I mention the cost of conversion training roughly double the US rates? Not too bad for basic VFR CPL, but it adds up for other ratings/endorsements/approvals.
If you insist on going back to Australia, get few hundred hours more, then if you have student visa or Working Holidays, can maybe do some scenics in R44.
You're unlikely to get job with big offshore or EMS companies without Australian licence and valid residence (already).
1-2 years ago the job market was bit different in Australia, if you had some experience as instructor, some sort of work visa/job ready etc. It isn't strictly so for FI jobs right now.
Chopter
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Chopter » Wed Mar 4 2015, 12:37

Interessante que Brasil não deixa enstrangeiro voar lá

I went to Brazil and it was a waste of time. If you weren't born there it was a no go. ANAC, ministério de trabalho, os bancos, ministério de exteriores ...all hated in the gringo. Plenty of squirrel time to be had at Heli cidade ? When I was there they said Goiás way the key to building hours. São Paulo isn't hooking anyone up.
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Wed Mar 4 2015, 15:31

Nah! :D

it's easy to get job in Brazil. Learn Brazilian portuguese fluently. Marry a citizen. go through tons of paperwork converting. Naturalise, get to 500hrs flying Raven around (well, for the handling skills of timebuilding newbies 'let loose', just look at all the silly overpitching/low RRPM/OGE oopsy crashes on youtube), get offshore job. Or get to VIP charter or utility with bit more time.

Just as easy as being newbie pilot (assuming scenario) without skilled experience/qualifications/patience to do skilled Oz migration or without Aussie sheila to go via family migration stream.

I recall one of my ex-instructors from US, German origin chap, was taking that path, although with more than basic commercial. I'm not in touch so can't hand out any contact details. pop;

It's way way easier to just marry US citizen, sort green card and enjoy the general aviation in USA, but then I'm biased/nostalgic.
Unless you're another of my ex-instructors who lived the dream flying 500 on powerline mx and had fatal on engine out.

My previous post wasn't 'don't come here, enough of us low/lowish timers in Oz' (home grown or migrants), just bit of playing it safe advice, while having flying job or options, instead of following dreams/desires and getting stuck with either licensing or cash or (as now, for me) both.
BRHeli

Postby BRHeli » Mon Mar 9 2015, 22:45

Thanks for the advice, I guess I'm pretty lucky with the opportunity I have here.

But things aren't so easy in Brazil anymore this "hit 500 hours and get a oil rig job" happened back in 2012, now that our main Oil Company, Petrobras, is everyday on the news with corruption and bribery scandals you hear every week how many pilots with thousands of hours and ratings lost their jobs.

Apart from the visa problem, how's the market in Australia? Are there jobs for pilots with 2 or 3 hundred hours? How about Flight Instructor jobs, I've heard WA needs FI's, is that so?

Thanks again

Return to “International License Conversion”