Chopper friendly accommodation

A bunch of pics as supplied by members. You cant upload here but you can upload to the gallery linked above.
Footprint Productions
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Chopper friendly accommodation

Postby Footprint Productions » Fri Aug 26 2011, 00:09

Hi All,

As you may or may not know, I travel extensively around OZ by helicopter ... (just about to set off for the Darwin / Broome next week!)

Along the way I have met and sourced EXCELLENT places to land and stay the night. I thought I would start a thread so we can pool our individual knowledge, this might make long trips easier to plan if you know where there is a warm bed right by the machine.

I'll post lots of these over time but thought I'd share one from yesterday. I was heading out to Coonabarabran and called around and found the following:

Getaway Tourist Park - Owned by Darren & Lisa De Costa (02) 6842 1773

They have an excellent place with very comfortable cabins and enough room for 6 - 8 R44's. Approach for all angles is fine, there is one set of twin wires following the road, but off the road by 10m, easy to spot.

As it turns out is was her son's 18th, so I took him and Darren up for a BDAY present :D Lovely people.

Footprint Productions
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Chopper friendly accommodation

Postby Footprint Productions » Fri Aug 26 2011, 00:12

Just added a red line with the wires, it's more like 30m off the road now I really look at it.

MQ
chappo
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby chappo » Fri Aug 26 2011, 00:26

Good idea mate
What is that mountain goat doing way up here in the clouds?
ianski
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby ianski » Fri Aug 26 2011, 00:38

Nice idea for a thread, cheers!
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Postby black duck » Fri Aug 26 2011, 01:05

Try the Roebuck roadhouse when you head to Broome Matt. About thirty k out of town, but it's a nice spot and they're a good crew. They do a bloody good rib eye steak as well! The old story, if you see a lot of trucks, land. :D
"It's wabbit seathon! It' duck seathon! I dare you to shoot me now!"
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Fri Aug 26 2011, 01:48

Also the Daly Waters pub......used to be excellent long time ago, no idea now but, however they should be very heli friendly....however I did land upwind one time on washing day and that did not impress.

Bark Hut inn on Arnhem highway is excellent.

You have a nice job footprint....do you fly yourself or just pax ??
Footprint Productions
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Footprint Productions » Fri Aug 26 2011, 03:33

Thanks guys!

I will look those places up for sure!

Anyone else have suggestions for cool landing spots between Alice Springs and Katherine or in that general area?

Nawty, I have an AOC pending for doing some very fun things .... spending my spare time travelling the country making videos on different locations. The next year will see some exciting stuff coming from us. I do pinch myself from time to time .... I hope I don't wake up!

There will be more from me soon :)

MQ
Footprint Productions
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Footprint Productions » Fri Aug 26 2011, 03:37

If you're interested, my web-site has more info on what we do.

www.productions.net.au

Just launched this new version of our site that has details on the heli, there is a sister site waiting in the wings for now :)

Matt
If I Was A Bird
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby If I Was A Bird » Fri Aug 26 2011, 03:46

Good idea. Someone did sort of try to start one before but it did not get very far - see here
and on another site there is this

Like someone mentioned, the hardest thing is to keep it current, but I suppose it always pays to phone ahead anyway.
"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart" - annon heli pilot....

Return to “Heli Pic's”