Careflight 412 pics

A bunch of pics as supplied by members. You cant upload here but you can upload to the gallery linked above.
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Careflight 412 pics

Postby Capt Hollywood » Sun Nov 13 2011, 13:15

A few pics from a visit by the Roma based Careflight B412 today. Have been playing around with HDR (High Dynamic Range) photography which I used to create the pics of the aircraft on the ground.

fearless_fly
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Careflight 412 pics

Postby fearless_fly » Sun Nov 13 2011, 20:53

Awesome pics of an awesome machine. That looks like an expensive bit of kit under the nose, better make sure that HLS is nice and flat...... :D
truthinbeer
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby truthinbeer » Sun Nov 13 2011, 22:10

Nice pics Capt H.
dragonfly
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby dragonfly » Sun Nov 13 2011, 22:32

Nice Pics Capt.

I thought it wouldn't be long until we see you in one of those??

DF
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Sun Nov 13 2011, 23:57

Not me Dragonfly, I fly a Jetty that is based on the gas field and the 412 was doing a 'show & tell' visit as Santos is one of the 'sponsors' of the aircraft.
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Mon Nov 14 2011, 07:41

Nice pics CC...and CH......I like the neked ones CC.
readydoors
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby readydoors » Tue Nov 15 2011, 00:43

I still struggle to understand how a charity based org. can tender against companies like AustHeli and CHC for commercial contracts like this one. Surely somewhere along the line there is something dodgy. Similar example being Careflight NSW in NT..

Not having a go, just looking for some info to help me understand

Cheers
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Tue Nov 15 2011, 02:26

One of their pilots explained to me that they have various companies under the çareflight banner. ie, careflight qld (not for profit), careflight nsw (not for profit) and then they have a commercial arm being careflight group or something like that.

Now as I understand it, they won the contract under their çarelflight group banner (ie for profit commercial arm). If that is the case then it's all totally above board. What strikes me as odd though is that the pilots are employed under a not for profit arrangement as well as the backup 412 being kept in Toowoomba and utilising the 'not for profit' facilities. So I don't get sued here, this is what I was told so if it's incorrect then someone please pipe up and correct the information that was given to me.

It seems very similar to the way Qantas longhaul is supposedly losing lots of money whist Jetstar is turning a profit, but there are allegations that Jetstar is essentially being propped up by longhaul with the use of Longhauls' assets (eg engineering, gates etc etc) being used by Jetstar at no cost.

I'm not trying to stir up a hornets nest, but that's what a previous pilot of theirs told me when they were on that exact contract. Surely the above would be blurring the lines somewhere?

By the way, nice looking B412.

** Disclaimer, in order to avoid libel or any threats of legal action. Please correct me if my source of information is incorrect.
Last edited by havick on Tue Nov 15 2011, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Tue Nov 15 2011, 02:39

Charity = not for profit, therefore there's no shareholders that they have to pay a profit to? Just a thought

Whilst we're on the topic of not for profits tendering for commercial work, it's not just Careflight that is doing it.

I'm also led to believe that the Gold Coast Westpac Surf Life saving base put in for the police helicopter trial. Now I do agree that if you''re a not for profit then any money made goes back into the business, however.... and it's a big however. What happens to the level of service given that assets are now being utilised (hangar, engineering, role equipment, crewing etc etc) by a commercial venture as opposed to its' original use? Ie do the punters that fork out for chook raffles etc know that the assets that they funded are now being used elsewhere instead of their original intended use for which the funding was sought?
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Tue Nov 15 2011, 04:02

havick wrote: do the punters that fork out for chook raffles etc know that the assets that they funded are now being used elsewhere instead of their original intended use for which the funding was sought?

Again second hand info, I was told that the profits from the commercial arm actually support the costs of the not for profit arm, not the other way around.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Tue Nov 15 2011, 05:36

CYHELI, I understand that could be the case as well.

The point I am trying to get my head around is that the commercial arm wouldn't be making any money if they weren't leaning on/utilising their not for profit arm. ie being able to do the exactly the same job cheaper (commercial arm). Where I see the waters getting muddied is the utilisation of nor for profit assets/staff on a contract administered by their commercial arm. This me or may not be the case, as the person who told me may not quite understand how it works themselves.
ballslapper
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby ballslapper » Tue Nov 15 2011, 06:23

Ho hum...same arguments keep going around in circles.

Yes, CareFlight is a registered charity/not for profit organisation. Yes, CareFlight has a commercial arm which makes money. However the whole point is that the entire organisation is not for profit. The other parts of CareFlight (careflight medical, Careflight training services et al) do make some money however, that money is put back into CareFlight Rescue ( the money spending part of the organisation!) which ultimately serves the community free of charge. The "commercial" parts of the company exist to ensure that the free rescue service is able to continue without having to solely rely on the good nature of donators, sponsors et al which in tough financial times can lead to trouble and possible discontinuity of service - smart I would suggest.

So, being that the entire company is a not for profit organisation which ultimately exist to serve the community, why shouldn't the employees in the "commercial" part be treated the same so far as fringe benifits etc?

Thats my rather humble and simple view, and yes I work for CF in the "commercial" side.

Cheers

Balls
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Tue Nov 15 2011, 08:35

Ballslapper. You're the first person to make it clear that ALL companies in the careflight group have not for profit status. That makes things clearer if it is actually the case.
truthinbeer
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby truthinbeer » Wed Nov 16 2011, 20:49

Not for profit...that's how my assets are performing right now.

Return to “Heli Pic's”