Bell 505 Jet Ranger X Achieves Successful First Flight

A bunch of pics as supplied by members. You cant upload here but you can upload to the gallery linked above.
BadStick-ZS
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Bell 505 Jet Ranger X Achieves Successful First Flight

Postby BadStick-ZS » Wed Nov 12 2014, 12:00

MIRABEL, Québec--(BUSINESS WIRE)--

Bell Helicopter, a Textron Inc. company (TXT), today announced the successful first flight of the Bell 505 Jet Ranger X™ helicopter. The maiden flight took place at the company’s Mirabel, Québec manufacturing facility.November 10, 2014 8:45 PM
Attachments
Bell 505.jpg
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Bell 505 Jet Ranger X Achieves Successful First Flight

Postby Twistgrip » Wed Nov 12 2014, 14:57

Bell promoted this machine as the "JRX" back in 2003. The concept model was exciting with open cabin and fully articulated head etc.
I feel they have not taken the opportunity to capitalise on this new development. Its really a slightly larger R66.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Wed Nov 12 2014, 23:30

Yes Twisty, but for the Bell lovers, it is made by BELL !

I like it, but just cannot understand why they would put the engine from the EC120B in it...which is a lovely machine, but hopelessly underpowered. I hope that Bell can do some magic with the 505 and make it weigh nothing, so that it will have adequate performance.

Arrrj
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Thu Nov 13 2014, 03:31

I have never flown a 120 but I've heard this all along but please explain why this helo is hopelessly under powered.... Not havin a dig on any level....
but I know an experienced guy has flown them and says it's not... its just poor pilot technique.
I'll be interested to read the facts to back up everybody's underpowered comments past and present.
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Thu Nov 13 2014, 07:21

They're a great machine. They're not under powered, they either fly them for a while with a full load of pax, or fly them for a long time with more fuel and less passengers. They also have good rail rotor authority, and they look great. Solid machines but if they do break it will cost, in time and money.

And it has three blades ;)
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Thu Nov 13 2014, 09:11

EC120B

Have a look on prune...there is plenty of discussion there. And by "experienced guys".

Poor pilot technique = ouch ! (To anyone who has flown it, like me, that reckons it under powered).

TR authority...very, very ordinary.

:roll:

Suggestion to those who really want to know, load one up with a few PAX and fuel and have a go...enjoy...not.

Looks amazing, great build etc.

Arrrj
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Thu Nov 13 2014, 19:57

We'll agree to disagree, we've done it before (on this topic too I think) :)

Back on topic, I agree with Twistgrip, such an opportunity sadly gone wanting imo. But Bell are much smarter than me so there must be some wisdom in their decision making.
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Fri Nov 14 2014, 07:24

Jabber,

And that's the beauty of democracy.

Plus, you may well be a better pilot of the 120B than me !

All the best,
Arrrj
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Fri Nov 14 2014, 11:01

Ironically it seems like the Chinese have taken a leaf out of the old MAPL design that I was mentioning before.
Looks somewhat familiar doesn't it :D .
http://www.verticalmag.com/news/article/AVICunveilsnewAC3X2helicopteratAirshowChina
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
100ft
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby 100ft » Fri Nov 14 2014, 20:36

Ec120 vs Jet Buggy

--ec120 performs as advertised. If you have poor technique and planning, big brother is always watching.

--Jet buggy. Just keep pulling like nobodies watching. ------- Cause nobody is.

The 214 has a high speed two bladed rotor system. They cruise at 140knot. That technology should have found its way into this jet buggy v2.0
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Sat Nov 15 2014, 02:59

I would be interested in seeing the COG data for the 505. It looks awfully nose heavy. The 206 series is great even with a pair of fat boys in the front with some fuel and baggage in the boot. Hopefully it's not nose heavy like the 350 family.
BadStick-ZS
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby BadStick-ZS » Sun Nov 16 2014, 04:51

Most unusual livery for a prototype, I more expected the white with black reference marks??

http://youtu.be/0p3dSKEbNs4
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Sun Nov 16 2014, 06:44

429RG looked okay...................
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
The Collective
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby The Collective » Sun Nov 16 2014, 07:35

bangequalsbad wrote:I would be interested in seeing the COG data for the 505. It looks awfully nose heavy. The 206 series is great even with a pair of fat boys in the front with some fuel and baggage in the boot. Hopefully it's not nose heavy like the 350 family.

True. I read on that other forum that there were 25 pounds of ballast at the end of the tailboom... not sure how much you can read into that though, given that this is just a prototype.

Return to “Heli Pic's”