Lamb Tangine

Got a favourite dish? Share it!
Bionic_kid
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Lamb Tangine

Postby Bionic_kid » Mon Sep 5 2011, 10:04

Taken from http://www.allrecepies.com (a brilliant site)

Ingredients

3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 pounds lamb meat, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
2 teaspoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 pinch saffron
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
2 medium onions, cut into 1-inch cubes
5 carrots, peeled, cut into fourths, then sliced lengthwise into thin strips
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 lemon, zested
1 (14.5 ounce) can homemade chicken broth or low-sodium canned broth
1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato paste
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)
1 tablespoon water (optional)
Directions

Place diced lamb in a bowl, toss with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, and set aside. In a large resealable bag, toss together the paprika, turmeric, cumin, cayenne, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, salt, ginger, saffron, garlic powder, and coriander; mix well. Add the lamb to the bag, and toss around to coat well. Refrigerate at least 8 hours, preferably overnight.
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add 1/3 of the lamb, and brown well. Remove to a plate, and repeat with remaining lamb. Add onions and carrots to the pot and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the fresh garlic and ginger; continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes. Return the lamb to the pot and stir in the lemon zest, chicken broth, tomato paste, and honey. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender.
If the consistency of the tagine is too thin, you may thicken it with a mixture of cornstarch and water during the last 5 minutes.

I Substituted all the spices for moroccan spice found at coles... it's basically all those spices premixed and used about 3-4 table spoons (enough to lightly cover the lamb evenly)
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Lamb Tangine

Postby Pegs » Mon Sep 5 2011, 10:38

Kosher Salt???

It looks pretty good this one, might have to give it a whirl myself! thanks for the post mate. :D
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Mon Sep 5 2011, 11:37

Beat me to it....my salt ain't kosher, so might not work.

Shall give it a try also I think, although finding some of them spice here might involve some picture books.

Out of interest, how much is a lamb leg and lamb chops in Oz now.....I just bought a 3 month supply here.....chops are hard to come by just now because of all the floods and such from last year, price gone up a lot.....but chops were $17 a kilo and legs were $13 a kilo........beef is expensive if imported, but can find the odd deal and in fact some local thai beef can be very nice when you find it for around $10 a kilo......imported you can find rib eye for around $15 to $50 a kilo.
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Mon Sep 5 2011, 11:39

Have not had a good stew for maybe 15 years.....crikey
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Mon Sep 5 2011, 12:01

Nawty to give you an idea, I sold 14 month old whether lambs at the sales last week and got $265 a head for them. Loin chops (lamb) are going about $23 a kg, and legs of lamb $18 a kg. Better prices last year, 6-8 month old lambs where selling $400 a head plus, we where getting about twice the $ per KG for our lambs as our steers.
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Mon Sep 5 2011, 12:05

URRGHHH!!!

I'm drooling all over the Keyboard... Nice recipe BK, makes me miss home something terrible... My brotherinlaw has a sheep farm... and the other brotherinlaw has a dairy farm... so milk and lamb on demand... ohh I miss home... the northern hemisphere is getting colder now.
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
Bionic_kid
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Bionic_kid » Mon Sep 5 2011, 23:09

It was an amazing dish! The smell that filled the kitten was awesome.

Yes i struggled with Kosher Salt as well so used salt that had been killed unethically... seemed to work. I also chucked a couple of potatoes in there diced to the same size as the lamb and they, along with the cous cous that i served with it soaked up the sauce so well that you'll need to make extra for seconds!
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Postby black duck » Mon Sep 5 2011, 23:15

Ban live salt export!!!! :x
"It's wabbit seathon! It' duck seathon! I dare you to shoot me now!"
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Tue Sep 6 2011, 03:24

Pegs wrote:Nawty to give you an idea, I sold 14 month old whether lambs at the sales last week and got $265 a head for them. Loin chops (lamb) are going about $23 a kg, and legs of lamb $18 a kg. Better prices last year, 6-8 month old lambs where selling $400 a head plus, we where getting about twice the $ per KG for our lambs as our steers.

So how come I can buy lamb chops here for $17 and that is expensive compared to earlier this year and last year when it was $13 ??
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Tue Sep 6 2011, 05:05

its probably NZ lamb :twisted: ..... :P
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Tue Sep 6 2011, 06:51

No, it does not have that extra flavour....and it says Oz lamb on the packet.

Return to “Recipes”