Downdraft problem!!

Got a good story? Tell it here.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Downdraft problem!!

Postby hand in pants » Tue Oct 13 2009, 02:07

Saw an interesting thing on the weekend at the Bathurst V8's.
Three 350s doing joyflights with no problems regarding downdraft as they arrived and departed over open space then a car park, mostly cross wind or down wind either in or out. Then along comes the chc 76, two pilots and a couple of kelpies with their heads outside making sure all was okay.
On very short final and bang, a tent explodes and a handful more depart the area in little balls along with some clothes, a bar-b-que and odds and sods flying all over the place. Not only were the tents damaged but also a pristine example of an old, lovingly restored Ford.
As you can expect, the punters were not impressed with the demonstration of the power of the downwash of the good old 76.
But the thing that impressed me more than the ability for the 76 downdraft to ruin someone's weekend on the turps watching the cars go really fast was the comment of the 76 crew, (captain or copilot, not sure which) "that's what you get when you pitch a tent in the approach path of a helicopter".

Great attitude, just awe inspiring.

And yes he was making his approach into the 10 or so knots that was blowing. But come on, can't the 76 cop a breeze up the blurter????????
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Downdraft problem!!

Postby skypig » Tue Oct 13 2009, 02:45

"that's what you get when you pitch a tent in the approach path of a helicopter".

Another PR coupe...... :(

"But come on, can't the 76 cop a breeze up the blurter????????"

Or land elsewhere, like at the Airport. :idea: I assume the 76 was in support of the RAAF, not doing an actual medivac or anything else that actually required them to land where they did. :?:
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Tue Oct 13 2009, 03:18

Piglet, many years ago the infield was open, and any helicopters could land there to discharge pax and wait till the end to take them back. I spent many sessions out there, bored stupid and unable to leave the area because the customers omitted to buy a pass for the pilot. But then more and more campers encroached on the area, and more cars went in there, and the dude who held the contract to provide joyrides managed to get his tiny spot nominated as the only place choppers could land. Landing fees apply, of course.

So, for the Roulette support, the 76 is required to be on site in case of a whoopsie, and the ONLY place he is allowed to land is where he did.

And 11,700 lbs of downwash can work wonders. :shock:
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Tue Oct 13 2009, 03:37

See what happens when I assume :oops:
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Tue Oct 13 2009, 03:53

Just to clear up a couple of facts:
1. There is an alternate pad at the rifle range where ALL other aircraft landed. This is where fuel is available.
2. The pad used for joyflights is ONLY for joyflights as per the NOTAM for the weekend.
3. There is a dedicated medical pad inside the track. This was not occupied by a medical helicopter as it is only required to be there on the sunday.
4. chc stepped on its dick on the day...............
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Heli
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli » Tue Oct 13 2009, 05:36

hip,

Agreed, that sort of response wouldn't win friends anywhere :(

But: since the operator, as stated, has (more or less) locked up the operating of machines at Bathurst, they would be just as responsible for the incident by having a pad with insufficient clearance from the Great Unwashed Public. I can only assume that Chopper 1 landed as directed, so it sounds like a mix of poor planning and average airmanship from both the pad operator and the S76 crew. From the brief facts given here, the damage would be easily claimed by the car & tent owners, and neither CHC nor the pad operator would have much in the way of defence. Unless they can demonstrate that they put out suitable signs advising punters to keep clear, and even then there would be a demonstrable failing of Duty of Care :(
Crusty
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Crusty » Tue Oct 13 2009, 05:42

hand in pants wrote:Just to clear up a couple of facts:
14. chc stepped on its dick on the day...............

Hippy

I love your vocab. I gotta buy one of your dictionary's, you make me smile.

I'll ring ya Thursday
Well Hung Start
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Well Hung Start » Tue Oct 13 2009, 06:15

Heli,... I managed to witness the whole event, from what iv'e been told, the S76 came in pretty much unannounced, the operators along with race officials had cleared the proper approach path,which consisted of a vacant block and a car park at the back of the helipad, the 76 came in from a completely different direction to all other machines that landed at that pad.
The 76 crew had never contacted the operator to discuss prior to the event, so i guess anyone who thinks that flying low over tents and tarps is a good idea, doesnt have much common sense to start with in my books. I would have expected more from a 76 driver...also the landing area was well signposted for racegoers indicating that it was a helipad area, i noticed them around the perimeter of the pad.
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Tue Oct 13 2009, 08:17

T.M always had a way with words.
Heli
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli » Tue Oct 13 2009, 10:23

Well Hung,

Fairynuff: I was going on the basis of what was originally posted. And fond memories of what it used to be at the Great Race, when we had pretty much the whole of the infield all to ourselves 8)
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Tue Oct 13 2009, 10:45

and the ONLY place he is allowed to land is where he did

Just to clear up a few things. Myself being on the ground and responsible for the event, The S76 crewman called me a few weeks out from the event requesting advice where to land. I had told him that the rifle range heli parking area was the most suitable site to land this type of machine (for obvious reasons!!) we then had a request (kindly told that they WILL be landing)and that we shall accomodate the 76 to land due to race event commitments. this happened without drama on the Friday as the 76 crew did fly the correct procedural approach into and out of the site, however the Saturday was a different outcome. personally from my opinion a poor peice of airmanship. And on the sunday they operated out of the rifle range.

The site has increased in size over the last 2 years and measuring appx 85m in length and 30m in width and a safe approach and departure path away from campers and general public so plenty of room to operate safely. Ultimately it is the PIC responsobility to asses and determine wether a HLS is suitable or not depending on their operation and size of the aircraft. I will leave it at that

Twisty
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Tue Oct 13 2009, 14:06

Whilst a regrettable outcome for all concerned, and without passing judgement, at least it is a reminder for the rest of us in terms of:

1) what damage we can cause coming into land somewhere (especially when you're up over the 5000lb mark),

2) how to better coordinate with another party/organisation, your participation into an operation (successfully and happily), and

3) how all the rules and regulations, NOTAM's, training etc cannot replace some common sense when mistakes and errors begin to add up.

It would also be interesting to hear what the aircrewman were (or were not) saying to the drivers up front when on short finals. Surely, given their external view of things, they would have been well positioned to see the potential dangers on the aircraft's approach path.
NZHelo
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby NZHelo » Wed Oct 14 2009, 00:38

FerrariFlyer wrote:It would also be interesting to hear what the aircrewman were (or were not) saying to the drivers up front when on short finals.

"Check out her Mount Panaramas"

Return to “There I was...”