Do they normally mix units in exams?

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
Lucky_01
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Do they normally mix units in exams?

Postby Lucky_01 » Thu Sep 20 2018, 09:04

Hi all,

Just paid for some practice exams and am wondering if they normally mix ft with meters?

e.g. my attached pic
Attachments
20180920_185726.jpg
FATO

Re: Do they normally mix units in exams?

Postby FATO » Thu Sep 20 2018, 09:40

Yes it is normal. Refer AIP GEN
Screenshot_20180920-193732_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Thu Sep 20 2018, 10:47

That’s a question from ENR 1.2, the basic rules of what it is to stay legal during visual flight. Distances are metric whilst altitudes, heights and elevations are in feet (as alluded to above).

It’s important to have a grasp of these numbers. They will come up during your exams, during your flight test, usually during check rides and renewals let alone when you bump in to any CASA FOI’s out in the field somewhere. They basically stay the same for Class C, E and G until below 3000 feet (or 1000 feet AGL) or in Class D. They’re worth learning.
NZHelo
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby NZHelo » Thu Sep 20 2018, 20:46

In regards to ASL exams, bring worried about the mixing of measurements would be the least of my comcerns.......
zzodr
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby zzodr » Thu Sep 20 2018, 23:58

They also mix lbs, kgs, litres and US Gals in the Perf exam questions. Tag the conversion table in Gen-Con-2 in ERSA to help yourself out. :)
muppet
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby muppet » Sun Sep 23 2018, 09:01

And then wait until you start flying different helicopters where some measure fuel in pounds (Sikorsky), some in litres (Eurocopter) and then others in kg (MBB/Eurocopter). It really does pay to have it worked out in your head, and then have little tricks that make it easy to know how much fuel you have on board and how long it will last you for. Some helicopter manufacturers don't even like to tell you how much fuel their helicopter uses, so yet another factor to consider... I bet plenty of pilots on this forum have stories to tell of how the industry has set them up for failure or at least some tricky brain work.
VBlade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby VBlade » Sun Sep 23 2018, 09:11

Most my CPL exams so far have needed conversions to be made, Gen- Con 2 helps as zzodr mentioned but cant beat doing them on the fly as muppet makes a good point.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sun Sep 23 2018, 11:57

muppet wrote: I bet plenty of pilots on this forum have stories to tell of how the industry has set them up for failure or at least some tricky brain work.

Various offshore facilities like to mix various units where you need to convert meters to feet for deck height above sea level, kilograms to pounds and vice versa for payloads etc etc. Some companies operate in pounds and others in kilograms. I have seen fuel calculated in pounds, kilograms and gallons. Most aircraft ASI's are in knots however in Canada I have heard of some machines calibrated to km/hr. Some people also work for dollars and others consider working for free because its fun...haven't worked out the dollars to 'free fun' conversion yet but in any case banks don't seem to like it or understand it when it comes to applying for a mortgage...

Welcome to the wonderful world of aviation where the only standard is, in fact, to be non-standard 8)
bj225
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bj225 » Wed Sep 26 2018, 01:08

Like others have said just read the questions as best as possible, easy to get caught out in using different units
muppet
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby muppet » Wed Sep 26 2018, 08:41

haven't worked out the dollars to 'free fun' conversion yet but in any case banks don't seem to like it or understand it when it comes to applying for a mortgage...

Pure gold.

You may want to also work on the ratio for converting hours invested in this career path into satisfaction and happiness... :D
RePLCPLH
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RePLCPLH » Sat Dec 22 2018, 00:05

CASA exams are always a barrel of laughs. 2.5 hours on the new CFPH exam is VERY difficult as pretty much every question has been designed to milk your time. Expect to see litres, gallons, nautical miles, and kilometres in the same question and to have insufficient time to check any answers. From memory, it was around 28 questions with many of them taking 10-15 minutes work for a single mark. Just to make it even more interesting, the Bell 206 flight manual has some different conversion numbers to your ERSA, and AFT are using different conversion numbers to both in their text.

It also had a question lifted straight from the Nav exam so I advise not attempting CFPH until you've passed Nav.
Last edited by RePLCPLH on Mon Dec 24 2018, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Sat Dec 22 2018, 01:20

The Casa Exams are simply a filtering tool...

Return to “Flight Training”