FER Process

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
DynamicStall

FER Process

Postby DynamicStall » Sat May 18 2019, 06:24

Has anyone been through the Flight Examiner Rating process post Part 61 from scratch? Not counting previously held ATO approval transitions etc.

Any general information on the process, the workshop, FERC (flight examiner course), and of course the final assessment by CASA.

Cheers
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: FER Process

Postby Fill-level » Sat May 18 2019, 07:37

You will now need a mentor (existing FE) to assist with the coaching out there , the modules are straight forward , getting someone to help very difficult , there basically signing away there future income by giving you access to the closed shop called testing
Bedouin Prince
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Bedouin Prince » Tue May 21 2019, 00:16

Its the worst put together, most painful process CASA has devised, staffed by a minimal crew (two people) to actually do the testing, one of whom most of the industry refuse to work with.

I've been going through it for about 18 months now. You don't need to dip your toe in to deep to realise why a lot of the qualified FEs are giving it away. It's a huge hassle, but the industry is going to be in a big world of hurt if people don't persevere, so definatley apply. Just expect it to be a major pain in your bum.

Don't get me wrong there is some good info in the course and you get a good idea about what is expected of a FE and the goal to have all tests as uniform as possible. However the people driving the ship are trying to manage a moster that has been created by the part 61 disaster and they are barely keeping up. It is going to result in a crisis in a few years with a shortage of instructors and examiners I foresee. I finished the online component at the beginning of 18, the workshop 12 months ago and my mentoring in November. At this stage I'm pretty worried I simply wont remember enough of the course material to get through the bloody test.

Good luck.
I'm a pessimist, that way I'm either always being proven right, or pleasantly surprised.
chopperdavo
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby chopperdavo » Wed Jul 1 2020, 03:39

Has anyone else embarked on this journey recently.

I'm pretty keen to start this adventure soon, but am really keen to get an understanding of the costs involved throughout the process before i go all in.

Thanks in advance
Flying a Helicopter is living the dream....
_chopper
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby _chopper » Thu Jul 9 2020, 04:45

I've just started the process myself (Have my Instructors proficiency check scheduled with CASA soon) so I don't know much about the FERC or any of that but I'm happy to help with any questions you may have about getting started.

Return to “Flight Training”