Am i told old?

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
tarnasky

Am i told old?

Postby tarnasky » Mon Nov 18 2019, 11:27

Hey everyone so I'm thinking about a career change and would love to fly choppers like all of you! The thing is I'm 37 years old so am I too old to make it in the industry?

Any thoughts and or advice?

Nil experience but fit and healthy and highly motivated.

Thanks
Gasket18
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Am i told old?

Postby Gasket18 » Mon Nov 18 2019, 12:49

frk mate if you're to old to be considering it, I'm screwed.. I'm finally studying now and I'm 47.. Honestly I'm in exactly the same thought process of you, I'm trying to work out if by the time I've finished training, the outlay involved and the chances of getting to earning a decent living financially will meet with the years I'll be able to fly. Then most people tell me I'd be better off going fixed wing... problem is.. choppers who doesn't want to fly them? lol. Hope you go for it mate.. I'm trying to do my theory first at the moment, then get back to flying. Also trying to work out if it would be worth while trying to go thru the VET or just keep paying myself.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Mon Nov 18 2019, 15:43

I’ve seen guys in their 40’s successfully make the career change. That being said it was early 2000’s, and there were a lot more opportunities around with the oil industry in an upswing.

Right now the oil industry in Australia has tanked which has a ripple effect back down to entry level jobs. Though someone with a good attitude and is a mover and shaker can still make it.

First off I would take maybe 5-6 lessons and get to t point where you can do basic maneuvers and see if you even like it first. Then I would commit to going solo, then put flying aside and get all your theory subjects done and then do the rest of your flying in one swoop.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
jimiemick
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby jimiemick » Mon Nov 18 2019, 21:06

Havick said it all really.

Only thing I ever tell people is.
Don’t be doing it for the money. Do it for your love of flying and aviation.
The outlay is quite high, and can take many many years to get that back. Then you have to climb the ladder as well.
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Mon Nov 18 2019, 21:44

If you're happy to fly R44,B206 or AS350 around then go for it.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Mon Nov 18 2019, 22:54

It’s not so much about age, as where you are in life, and what you want.

Are you in a position to move to an area you may have never considered visiting, let alone living in?
Doing this because there is a “chance” of a job.
Then if you are a bit lucky, staying there earning minimum wage for a few years.

Then moving somewhere else, and earning only a little more while you gain experience.

Typically “older” people are used to being paid and treated “properly”, and often have debt, children and partners that make the typical “new pilot” career path almost impossible.
Jeffory
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Jeffory » Tue Nov 19 2019, 03:03

If it is something you really want to do, then go for it, you might thoroughly enjoy it, but be prepared for the realistic side of things when you start out. You won't get paid overly well, work unpaid hours, be expected to do things which might not be "safe", spend many years flying tourists in circles and never really progres beyond that type of work. There are a lot more pathways on the FW side of the fence over the length of a career which can provide a bit more certainty.

If the market ever picks up, you may have a nicely timed run and end up progressing quickly to a higher paid role without having to open your wallet again.

Apart from that it can be very rewarding, challenging at times, you'll meet lots of great people and see some amazing things. If you are financially stable and don't require a reasonable income then it's not a bad way to spend your days, otherwise just be prepared to give it away sometime down the track and remember it's always good to have something to fall back on or an exit strategy in place. Everyone's experience in the industry is different. Timing, luck and connections are the main factors that will dictate your career.
tarnasky

Postby tarnasky » Tue Nov 19 2019, 04:34

Thanks guys some really good advice there. It is something I really want to do and the fixed wing path doesn't interest me as much. I'm not doing it to earn big bucks I just want a job that I like and I love flying so it seems like a good fit. I'm in a good position to give it a crack, I have no children and im not married so no commitments. I work as a chef at the moment so I was thinking I could work part time while I study/fly.

I want to study the course full time and I'm happy to move anywhere to learn at the right school. Any recommendations please share with me.

I did come across one school at Acherfield that runs a full time CPL course for 21 weeks at roughly 60k. Seems like a pretty good option

Gasket 47 and going for it? Good on you, how are you finding the training so far?
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Tue Nov 19 2019, 07:40

V2 helicopters Archerfield
Helitec Sunshine Coast
Utility helicopters archerfield

All around the $60k mark
Gasket18
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Gasket18 » Tue Nov 19 2019, 08:30

tarnasky well I'm not training at the moment. I started doing my licence about 15 years ago, did 7 hours, but as I was still chsing my dream of being a professional motorbike racer, I couldn't afford to do both. Racing has taken every cent plus more since 2000, cost me numerous partners and 2 businesses, all because racing came first.. Apart from a lot of lap records, a couple of titles and racing for a few months overseas I failed as never got to make money from it. Also means I'm probably even worse off financially than an 18yo.
Choppers has always been a big thing for me, tho unless I'm definitely doing something I don't delve into it. So I'm not the type of person that can rattle off all the types, brands, sizes etc.
This time after asking around I came across a guy in Archerfield who rather than just giving me a sales pitch actually had decent convo with me and we've spoken many times over the phone. Anyway he said due to my agae, go apply for arn, asic and physical, if pass them do theory then fly. Just as well I followed his advice apparently as I'm over 40 and just wanting to fly now, I may have a heart attack or panic attack or something and so they need to take each test a step further. lol.. Well yep passed everything. Now I'm trying to study on my own as can't afford to go full time and pay bills etc. I'm already putting most of my things up for sale to help towards the cost of flying lessons.
So I'm really struggling to figure out how to do this, but I'll keep punching ideas around. As we both said earlier, theres the VET way which def has its ups, plus I think at my age, theyll never get all their money back :P And get a part time job to keep paying rent and food or do I just keep going and seeing how I go. I'm looking at booking my met test as late in Dec as I can and see how I go then maybe decide which way to from there.
Like you planes arent a massive thing for me, I've had a crack at flying them and obviously go up a lot in them but just not the same. However everyone tells me thats the best way of actually making a living. So then there's the case of do you go that way to get flying, then once you have a flying job, start training in the chopper even tho money will be bloody tight.. So many decisions, I know where I want to be, and sounds like you do to.. I'm just deciding which is going to be the smartest option. I heard of utility helicopters but all the phone numbers I've found for them aren't connected. I'm going out here this Friday to see if they are there. I'd like to train at Archerfield as it's just up the road. Other than that I'd been told Aeropower in Redcliffe are very good and thats where I was leaning towards training at mo, I've done a couple of flights with them.. I do love that cabri trainer.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Tue Nov 19 2019, 08:49

That surely is the post of the year!
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Chopper Guy
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Chopper Guy » Tue Nov 19 2019, 09:02

Hey Mate
You’re definitely not too old! The biggest thing I think you should consider is are you in a position to cop the financial set back that paying for your license and then working as a low hour pilot will incur.
My story… I was 38 and happily married (and still am!) when I did my CPL. After I finished my course, I picked up a 6 month ground crew contract locally. At the end of my contract, due to not being in a position to move, I was pretty much forced to hang up my CPL headset and just do a bit of private flying outside of regular full time work.
Fast forward 2 years and I had a heart to heart with my wife where I explained that the dream of flying full time hasn’t died and truth is, probably never will! By this stage, our circumstances had changed and we were in a position to move, just not to the middle of nowhere, the location had to be wife friendly… Anyway, that same week a low hour pilot position came up on Bladeslapper in a major city (just not the one we were in). I applied and 3 weeks later started as a full time pilot.
I’ve only been in the role for a few months but am absolutely loving it. I don’t fly every day, but do most weeks. They’re a great company to work for and are really supportive. Probably worth mentioning but, it is a minimum wage job in a capital city!
So, to wrap up my essay, if you want it, go for it… just be prepared that to get your first job and most likely your second you won’t be just moving down the road, you’ll most likely be moving states, the money will be very ordinary and even if you get a full time position as a pilot straight out of school, your first 3-6 months in that job will loading passengers only whilst you stay on the ground watching somebody else fly.
Has it been an easy path to get to this point… NO! Would I do it again, I think so, ask me in 5 years LOL
Last edited by Chopper Guy on Tue Nov 19 2019, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Tue Nov 19 2019, 09:10

You're a long time dead. Just go for it, keep the eyes and ears open and preferably the mouth shut. Expect to earn fek all to start with but, flying for a living is very rewarding, just not financially when you're getting started. You may have to do it tough but winners do what losers won't! Beats the sh1t out of working for a living.

p.s. I didn't start flying until age 35 and got my licence at 37, I have a job that a lot of my previous colleagues would kill for
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Wed Nov 20 2019, 07:05

I have a job that a lot of my previous colleagues would kill for

...and then YOU get to arrest them! Sweet!
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Wed Nov 20 2019, 07:17

There's pros and cons to everything and every job. Don't get sad when the cons start to affect you if the pros are why your chose/choose to do it. Do you research, make your lists and see whether it becomes a realistic possibility. We can't always have jobs like ET's, but there is a lot of fun to be had.
truthinbeer
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby truthinbeer » Mon Nov 25 2019, 05:13

From a novice perspective, do it now if you have the means and commitment. I got part way through a licence and developed health issues which took time to sort and now I am feeling fit again but I am pretty certain this would preclude me doing any type of flying other than FW light sport category. You don't know what life has in store for you, I didn't, so my advice is get cracking whilst you can.

I wish you success.
Gasket18
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Gasket18 » Mon Nov 25 2019, 09:19

truthinbeer wrote:From a novice perspective, do it now if you have the means and commitment. I got part way through a licence and developed health issues which took time to sort and now I am feeling fit again but I am pretty certain this would preclude me doing any type of flying other than FW light sport category. You don't know what life has in store for you, I didn't, so my advice is get cracking whilst you can.

I wish you success.

Sorry to hear you had health issues, it is something I live by tho.. I try and do the things I want to for exactly that reason that you don't know what life holds for you.. I pretty much can't afford anything I do, but just scrape by.. lol I hope the op is going thru with it, I know I am giving it my best shot..

Return to “Flight Training”