Performance & Ops Additional Baggage

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
Dazza02

Performance & Ops Additional Baggage

Postby Dazza02 » Wed Nov 30 2016, 13:40

Hey All,

I am very much struggling with the baggage added questions in the CPL exam prep I am doing - can anyone help me out!???

I have this question and others that use the same premis and I just cant get them right. Up until the calc of the AUW and Moment I am fine but then I cant figure how to get the correct additional weight. I need the working on this part and I can find anything like it anywhere. *insert begging emoticon here*

Load Data:

Pilot: 76kg
Front seat passenger: 61kg
Rear seat passengers: 132kg combined
Take off Fuel: Full
Fuel Burn to Dest: 262 lt

Box weighing 42kg at FS 2998mm

The max Cargo that could be loaded into the baggage Compartment for this flight is -
1. 113kg
2. 55kg
3. 82kg
4. 94kg
Helicoil
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Performance & Ops Additional Baggage

Postby Helicoil » Wed Nov 30 2016, 20:28

Hi Dazza

For these types of questions you need to make a number of calculations to find the limiting factor. The factors are a) MAUW on take off, b) C of G on take off, c) C of G on landing, and d) C of G envelope wont be exceeded in flight. It is possible that the answer is looking at a limiting factor you haven't taken into account.

When it comes to C of G, in some scenarios the quickest method (although not exactly scientific) is to simply take each answer supplied and test to see which one is the highest and still keeps you within the C of G envelope (as well as MAUW).

For others, you can use the W * d = w * D formula.

Perhaps you could supply us with workings of your problem above to try and figure out where its going wrong? :)

H.
Andy_C

Postby Andy_C » Wed Nov 30 2016, 20:47

Hi Dazza

Look buddy I haven't sat and done the CoG for your question but something looks awfully familiar from my exams years ago..

If it's still for a Long Ranger just look at the maximum all up baggage allowed for that type. Pretty sure it's 113kgs.

I remember I used to get so caught up in the maths when I should have just stepped back and looked at the question better.

Good luck and hopefully I may have helped.
HELO1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby HELO1 » Thu Dec 1 2016, 00:34

As helicoil mentioned, it would be good to see your workings. When you do those calcs you need to work out your changed ZFW again before adding fuel. If you just try to change it after it won't work out. I will have a look through my notes this afternoon and see what I can find for you.
HELO1
froginasock
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby froginasock » Thu Dec 1 2016, 01:41

All of the above regarding basic limits (AUW etc) .. then use third highest weight of additional baggage -at the most critical fuel for most AFT COG ... ( with baggage it'll most likely the be most aft fuel as limiting factor) then plot zero fuel and most aft fuel on CoG graph - it'll probably be outside the AFT limit.

Then check where your line crosses the most AFT part of the graph ...

Draw a line (if you need ) over to the left side of the graph and see what the weight difference is between your original (third highest additions baggage weight) and this figure....

Let's say in your case - you used 94kg - and the figure is 10kg less .. take 10 from 94 and you'll have the answer ( the closest answer under that figure).

Hope this helps .. I know it's painful -

Return to “Flight Training”