Learing resources for CPL(H)? Online? Books?

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
Living-instinkt

Learing resources for CPL(H)? Online? Books?

Postby Living-instinkt » Mon Feb 6 2017, 01:27

G'day guys,
I've recently taken my first couple of flights and loved it, I am yet to purchase the books offered from my flight training provider however I'm keen for some material to study/read up on while bored on my time off work.

Just wondering if anyone knows of or has found any good learning resources regarding well... Anything... that may give me an insight into the theory side of the CPL(H) that will also be advantageous for the exams?

Cheers!
Rotorpilot
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Learing resources for CPL(H)? Online? Books?

Postby Rotorpilot » Mon Feb 6 2017, 13:33

Ok so here's some things to think about first
Get a good job and fly for fun. Enjoy the thril rather than turn it into a chore.
Think do you want to be away from your family a lot of the time? Do you like women? Well get used to not seeing them all that often lol. It might be cool for a little while saying your a chopper pilot but it wears thin.
Then,
Think once you get your licence of 105hrs how are you going to afford the next 145hrs minimum to get a flying gig? Do you know someone with a helicopter and if so are they going to help you or let you fly it?
Are you rich and own your own chopper? And don't care about putting in thousands of $$$$$$$$
Go talk to helicopter companies (not flight schools) about job prospects.
Ask lots of questions before you really need to spend massive amounts on books, exams, lessons, casa fees, medicals, asic, air services publications $800, endorsements, roads trips, etc etc it's all adds up with no job prospects.
Just some things to really think about as it's a massive effort and investment for not much return. Oh then you may get a job then they will ask you to work for free, or below minimum wage. Oc:= )c/ )c/
Then and only then you may want to get
Books relating to the seven exams you will have to sit.

Bob tait human factors is good.
Principals of helicopter flight
Aviation theory centre are good for air law, general aircraft knowledge, and and a couple of others.
AFT at the sunny coast are a great theory school and the solid school then exam at the end of each week are invaluable. Or do it by correspondence but you must be committed.
Rotorcraft book you can google it and download, has a little of everything but not a lot of it all. But it is still a great help
Go to casa page and see what you can download and for all have lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :shock:
Dem winds are gonna blow
jab160
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby jab160 » Tue Feb 7 2017, 05:54

Well.......after reading all that, i'm bustin to start. ( the sinik ( spelt wrong..but what the hec ) the sinic in me "could think".......scare a newby sh!tless so they run a mile, that will keep pilot numbers down, and my pay packet bigger. ( less pilots, the bigger the portion of the pie ).......LOL.. (c:_ol (c:_ol
If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time
Hueyman
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Hueyman » Tue Feb 7 2017, 07:26

jab160 wrote:Well.......after reading all that, i'm bustin to start. ( the sinik ( spelt wrong..but what the hec ) the sinic in me "could think".......scare a newby sh!tless so they run a mile, that will keep pilot numbers down, and my pay packet bigger. ( less pilots, the bigger the portion of the pie ).......LOL.. (c:_ol (c:_ol

Haha ok you do that. :roll: remember reality bites
While it may be a bit much all at once, but rotorpilot makes some very good valid and factual points.

Guess you can take from it what you will. if there is one thing you take from it......do your research.
charlie don't surf! (c:_ol
jab160
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby jab160 » Tue Feb 7 2017, 08:24

settle down huey, settle down........i agree with most of ol mates comments, i was commenting with tongue firmly jammed in cheek.
If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time
Living-instinkt

Postby Living-instinkt » Tue Feb 7 2017, 13:10

Rough. :|
stick_monkey
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby stick_monkey » Tue Feb 7 2017, 21:22

That is an amusing but mainly factual post from Rotorpilot. The simple fact is is that there are more fresh CPL(H) holders than there are jobs in the industry and not everyone succeeds. To be told the honest and blunt truth from the start is only to your advantage. Once you have this knowledge, it will be up to you; the amount of tenacity, determination and sacrifice that you want to expend in pursuit of a very worthwhile career will be your choice, and please remember, no one owes you anything.
Throughout your training and if you approach employers for work afterwards, one of the worst things you can do is have an 'attitude of entitlement'. That will almost certainly place you at the bottom of the pile and it is something that is seen more and more these days. And here is a hint - a lot of the jobs in this industry are by 'word of mouth', and particularly the initial ones, so if you approach all of your training like a potential job interview and aim to impress your flying school with your professionalism, work ethic and maturity towards operating an expensive piece of someone else's machinery, your instructors and other training staff will take notice and your name will probably be the first one that they recommend when a scenic operator calls them looking for a 'good operator'.
I for one couldn't handle seeing someone else flying a nice shiny machine and not be able to fly one myself...especially since I know how enjoyable it is to fly. Definitely enjoy the thrill of learning to fly; when I think back, learning to hover was one of the biggest buzzes of my career and I'm glad I took the time to enjoy it - you won't get that same buzz again by repeating the action indefinitely - like smoking crack I suppose (definitely just suppose).
So don't be disheartened, but be aware, and think about how you can gain the advantages in a competitive industry. Also, the less people you annoy through your career, the more successful you will probably become.
As Mark Twain once said, "Let us be thankful for the fools; but for them the rest of us could not succeed" :lol: 8)
Chopper Guy
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Chopper Guy » Wed Feb 8 2017, 00:10

Hey mate.

A good book to look at would be 'Helicopters will take you anywhere' by Ron Newman

http://www.skysupply.com.au/store/index ... oduct_id=4

CG
Living-instinkt

Postby Living-instinkt » Wed Feb 8 2017, 05:33

Thanks all for your advice/input,

After my TIF I was buzzing and full of beans, couldn't believe how good it was being in the front seat of a chopper this time, from my quick assumption being $60,000 and 105 flight hours roughly to achieve a CPL I thought, hey what the hell, who'd be crazy enough to do that! There'd be HEEEEAPS of jobs around. Got stuck into research and was looking at the types of work helicopters do in the field and even more so thought about the amount of jobs... I kid you not... I refreshed that seek/indeed search page at least 5 times when it came up with no results... Never the less, it hasn't lowered my want/need to achieve my CPL and will still be going to be giving it my all just with a more realistic approach I guess.

Again, I appreciate the input.
Cheers.
scaarj
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby scaarj » Thu Feb 9 2017, 02:42

I used Online Aviation Theory by Ron Newman recently. Failed one test by 1 point (performance & planning) but that was my own fault, resat and got 90%. Passed all the other exams comfortably, generally at least 10% higher than required. The material isn't perfect but it gets you through. I also found most of the practice exams on it are more difficult than the CASA exams, so I liked that part of it.

As for job prospects I am considering how I will get a foot in, however I'm not shy to getting some ground crew work before a flying gig. I think a good attitude helps.

Return to “Flight Training”