IFR R44 Available for IFR Training

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
Captain01+GB

IFR R44 Available for IFR Training

Postby Captain01+GB » Tue Mar 20 2018, 23:28

Robinson 44 available for IFR training based at Gold Coast can be operated elsewhere.
Not interested in general CPL training, IFR only.
Helicopter is approved for IFR and is equipped with the following additional instrumentation;
-SAS/ Autopilot Genesys HeliSAS
-Garmin G500H Display
-Garmin GTN750 GPS/COM/NAV
-Garmin GTX 345 Transponder with ADS-B
-Garmin GMA 350 HC Audio Panel
-Air Conditioning.
This machine was delivered at the beginning of the year and has low hours. This is a great opportunity for pilots who want to advance their skill set.
Please note this advert is only for the hire of the helicopter and all training will need to be completed through an approved flight school.
For more information please contact gregg.wagner@qldtc.com.
Balibelly
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: IFR R44 Available for IFR Training

Postby Balibelly » Wed Mar 21 2018, 12:22

IFR but not IMC ?
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Wed Mar 21 2018, 15:18

Balibelly wrote:IFR but not IMC ?

What?

If it’s certified for IFR, how can it not be approved for “IMC”. The Instrument Flight Rules dont stipulate a minimum visibility or distance from cloud (above LSAlt)
Historically, there have been 2 B206’s certified for IFR.
I’ve flown one of them in cloud, at night, over the ocean. Scary (in hindsight). But legal.

It would need a second electrical power source. (Seen batteries approved for this, rather than a second alternator.) and a back up hydraulic system, or almost certainly, proven ability to fly safely after suffering a hydraulic failure.

I’m thinking it would be a very useful machine for training.
Friendly Black Dog
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Friendly Black Dog » Wed Mar 21 2018, 19:58

Sufficient instruments to develop a scan but not allowed to be flown in IMC maybe?

I remember an old R22 back at Chopperline that had a big panel up the front, and you could flog around the sky doing basic instrument training (2 hours prior to NVFR back in the day) with foggles on and Tub sitting beside you.

You'd have a couple of hours in the old girl mr pig? HVB maybe...id have to check my logbook.

FBD
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Wed Mar 21 2018, 21:44

Piggy said:
Historically, there have been 2 B206’s certified for IFR.

There is a stack of IFR B206 at Beckers, all with autopilots, glass screens, backup instruments, the whole 8.4 metres.
Captain01+GB

Postby Captain01+GB » Thu Mar 22 2018, 00:04

Robinson haven't approved it for IMC its IFR trainer.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Thu Mar 22 2018, 00:47

Captain01+GB wrote:Robinson haven't approved it for IMC its IFR trainer.

I think it’s CASA that approves it or otherwise for IMC.

“IFR trainers” are not approved for IFR. They just have extra instruments. Often they are certified for Night VFR.

To sit a test, and IFR plan must be lodged. To lodge an IFR plan the AC must be certified for IFR flight. This will be on the maintenance release. (And probably a supliment in the flight manual). If you are flying under the Instrument Flight Rules, you are not restricted to Visual Meteorological Conditions.

Perhaps the OP can confirm it says “IFR” on the mtce release, to clear up what was meant by “approved for IFR”.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Thu Mar 22 2018, 01:04

FBD

I do have some hrs in my log book with that R22 (several log books ago)
It also had a heater, which was nice on winter mornings, even in Caloundra. Doors off as usual.
Ironically, I did my NVR test in a B47.

Eric

Are the B206s at Becker’s certified for IFR? Do you know?

Break break.
Historically in Australia, the cheapest (but still expensive) route to a CIR-H was to log the required IF time in an “Instrument Trainer” (or even some or the requirement in a fixed wing) then sit the test in an approved IFR machine. This required a command endorsement in said machine. Making the IFR Jetranger’s by far the cheapest option. (Assuming a SE CIR was sufficient.)

If this R44 is as it seems, it could be a very good thing for people willing to spend money to advance their career.
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Thu Mar 22 2018, 02:54

Piggy, yes those 206 are fully IFR, a lot of time is spent inside clouds in them. The first one only had steam gauges but the fleet now is all glass and very useable. Flies down the ILS like a charm.
huey
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby huey » Thu Mar 22 2018, 03:17

HVB. Got a few hours in that one myself. All VFR some NVFR.

Huey
Huey
KOALA
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby KOALA » Mon Mar 26 2018, 19:27

Captain01+GB wrote:Robinson 44 available for IFR training based at Gold Coast can be operated elsewhere.
Not interested in general CPL training, IFR only.
Helicopter is approved for IFR and is equipped with the following additional instrumentation;
-SAS/ Autopilot Genesys HeliSAS
-Garmin G500H Display
-Garmin GTN750 GPS/COM/NAV
-Garmin GTX 345 Transponder with ADS-B
-Garmin GMA 350 HC Audio Panel
-Air Conditioning.
This machine was delivered at the beginning of the year and has low hours. This is a great opportunity for pilots who want to advance their skill set.
Please note this advert is only for the hire of the helicopter and all training will need to be completed through an approved flight school.
For more information please contact gregg.wagner@qldtc.com.

So based on the above. Are there any flights schools in Australia that are able to teach the IFR syllabus and have made enquires into this?

Any idea on rough training cost to complete an IFR rating in this R44?

Would be interested to know what the outlay would be and based on some of the comments if it is actually possible to complete it in this R44?!!

No need for negative comments, only positive post required. Thanks all :)
Aspiring HEMS pilot 8)
mattdeaker

Postby mattdeaker » Mon Mar 26 2018, 23:15

Does anyone know if an IFR rating in Australia is transferable to NZ license?
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Tue Mar 27 2018, 00:32

Yes it is, know a few people that have done it.
Chocka
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Chocka » Mon Dec 17 2018, 06:39

Gday all,

Just wondering if anyone has any updates regarding this post? I am looking at doing my Instrument Rating, and since Chopperline/Airways Aviation is not operating anymore, I am unable to find another training school in Australia who is conducting instrument training in an "affordable" machine...
Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Mon Dec 17 2018, 07:05

You could try Kestrel, Beckers or Rotorlift.

According to their websites they offer Instrument ratings. Are you looking eventually at the Offshore / EMS path ?

All the best with it. 8)
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Chocka
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Chocka » Mon Dec 17 2018, 11:04

Gday Twistgrip,

Thanks for that. I hadn't checked Kestrel's website for some time, and I was unaware they conduct IR training in an R22. I have contacted Becker's and Rotorlift previously.
Yes I'm trying to get my self started in the IFR world, and if I'm going to be serious about that, then self-funding an instrument rating seems to be the way to go these days. But, like it is for many guys and gals out there, it is a financially daunting prospect. Young family, mortgage, bills etc... But there will be a way!!

Cheers
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Mon Dec 17 2018, 17:24

I don’t think Kestrel has an R22 with a panel for instrument training anymore.

They do have a 206L, and a frasca Sim. The only IFR machines they have are B412 and S76.

Definitely worth giving them a call to see what they can offer.

Do you have a fixed wing license? Even a PPL? It’s usuakly way more cost effective to learn IFR flying in a fixed wing then convert it to helicopter.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Chocka
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Chocka » Mon Dec 17 2018, 20:33

Cheers Havick. I have emailed them and will follow up with a phone call.

No fixed wing licence unfortunately. I am also considering going to the States for CPL conversion and instrument rating. The price is definitely right over there! It's the cost of converting it back to Aussie that is the deciding factor, as well as time off work and family commitments etc. Lots to consider...

Cheers
Zimbo22
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Zimbo22 » Tue Dec 18 2018, 00:11

Chocka,

Flight Training Adelaide do an instrument rating and its also covered under VET Fee.
Chocka
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Chocka » Tue Dec 18 2018, 00:12

Thanks Zimbo22

Return to “Flight Training”