CPL-H Theory Pack

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
DICKO

CPL-H Theory Pack

Postby DICKO » Mon Apr 30 2018, 14:28

Hi

Craig Dixon (Dicko) here and new to Bladeslapper. I have been watching the forums for a couple of weeks now just to get an idea and feel for the site.

Just a quick BIO on my interest in Aviation and working history. Commenced flying Gliders at the age of 16 at Balaklava Gliding Club, Whitwarta Airfield SA. Spent 9 years in the RAAF - Trained as a RadTech-Air then converted and graduated as an Advanced Avionics Tech and spent 2.5 years in the Avionics Support Workshop (Mushroom Factory) at 481WG Williamtown, NSW. Posted to 75SQN Tindal NT, 3.5 years maintaining and operating the F/A-18 OFT - Operational Flight Trainer. 4 years with Boeing at a Satellite Space and Comms Site, 2 years with Defence as an Instructor on the Defence Secret Network, 5 Years with THALES working on Project AIR87 Tiger Armed Reconnaissance Helicopter Aircrew Training Devices as a Senior Simulator Technician in Osny France, then Installation and Maintenance Manager in Oakey QLD, Sydney NSW and finally Darwin NT. Last few years working for CSE Comsource as Captive Labour for Conoco Phillips at the Darwin LNG and Offshore Bayu Undan, Timor Sea facilities, PowerWater, starting and running my own business INTECH NT for 3-4 years, closing my business after a Mid-Life Crisis that almost got the better of me, JKC - Telecomms Supervisor at the ICHTYS-INPEX Project and recommencing with PowerWater for a second stint. Well here I am and not real happy doing what I'm doing and as a personal challenge and life long dream I've decided to pursue my CPL-H.

I live in Howard Springs NT and as far as I'm aware there are no Helicopter Training Schools in Darwin. So, I'm planning to study the theory component online or via correspondence.

I am seeking the following:

1. Complete CPL-H Theory Book Pack, and
2. Recommendations for online/correspondence training providers.

I have searched online and discovered the following: AFT, Professional Helicopter Services, Ron Newman's Online Aviation Theory & Bob Tait Online

I would like to hear honest experiences from people that may have completed online training or any additional recommendations for online theory.

I'm also after real life experiences and advice on what others consider the best way of achieving CPL-H.

Thanks and Cheers

Dicko
DICKO

Re: CPL-H Theory Pack

Postby DICKO » Wed May 2 2018, 11:42

Wow! - Not quite what I expected from a professional Aviation forum.

Am I missing something, have I detailed too much BIO info or do I just smell or something like that?

Not a single reply or recommendation for CPL-H Training........
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Thu May 3 2018, 22:02

Personally I would of removed this .

"Just a quick BIO on my interest in Aviation and working history. Commenced flying Gliders at the age of 16 at Balaklava Gliding Club, Whitwarta Airfield SA. Spent 9 years in the RAAF - Trained as a RadTech-Air then converted and graduated as an Advanced Avionics Tech and spent 2.5 years in the Avionics Support Workshop (Mushroom Factory) at 481WG Williamtown, NSW. Posted to 75SQN Tindal NT, 3.5 years maintaining and operating the F/A-18 OFT - Operational Flight Trainer. 4 years with Boeing at a Satellite Space and Comms Site, 2 years with Defence as an Instructor on the Defence Secret Network, 5 Years with THALES working on Project AIR87 Tiger Armed Reconnaissance Helicopter Aircrew Training Devices as a Senior Simulator Technician in Osny France, then Installation and Maintenance Manager in Oakey QLD, Sydney NSW and finally Darwin NT. Last few years working for CSE Comsource as Captive Labour for Conoco Phillips at the Darwin LNG and Offshore Bayu Undan, Timor Sea facilities, PowerWater, starting and running my own business INTECH NT for 3-4 years, closing my business after a Mid-Life Crisis that almost got the better of me, JKC - Telecomms Supervisor at the ICHTYS-INPEX Project and recommencing with PowerWater for a second stint"

For CPL helicopter Theory, you are kind of limited ..

AFT are spot on with there theory ....However its all printed folders , some people like online tablets for revising
Ron Newman is also a very good alternative....

There is http://aerotheory.com.au/HelicopterPilotBooks.php which are also very good.

These theory providers spend lots of money to provide a service, So I recommend buying direct from these people for sustainability.

Lastly Pick a school, with a pathway for a job. Good Luck
RotorBez
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RotorBez » Thu May 3 2018, 22:26

DICKO wrote:Wow! - Not quite what I expected from a professional Aviation forum.

Am I missing something, have I detailed too much BIO info or do I just smell or something like that?

Not a single reply or recommendation for CPL-H Training........

I tried sending you a private message however something seems amiss with either your account or mine as it isn't allowing it.

Can you provide an email address or phone number so people can contact you directly to try and assist?

Cheers

RB
DICKO

Postby DICKO » Sun May 6 2018, 08:15

Thanks Fill-Level - I wasn't sure if I should have added some BIO info but I did anyway. Thanks for the advice just the same, I've taken it onboard. In another respect it has paid off in the fact that a previous Tiger ARH Simulator colleague has made contact that is currently working on his CPL-H

Thanks RotorBenz - I have received you PM - Thanks and I will call.
frisbee
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby frisbee » Mon May 7 2018, 03:47

To be honest I expect the lack of responses is mostly due to the fact this question comes and goes in different forms fairly often and the answers rarely change.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13658
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13181
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7576
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4413
...the list goes on.

As for my personal advice, I completed my CPL-H theory subjects not long ago using Ron Newmans OAT, and scored in the 90's on all my exams first attempt, so I would consider the material sufficient. I can't speak much for any of the others as I've only ever briefly laid eyes on an old set of AFT notes, but they looked OK. The only exception to this was recommended by many and that was to use Bob Taits Human Factors book, it came across a little easier to digest than the OAT notes for that particular subject and covered everything that came up in the exam.
William12

Postby William12 » Thu May 31 2018, 10:01

Managed to find the material?
mark90
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby mark90 » Tue Jun 5 2018, 05:50

Heya Dicko,

Just finished my CPL at the end of 2017, I used an older version of AFT (all sufficient and current, except law, only due to the fact that it is continuously updated. )

I'm looking to sell them. The complete pack comes with everything you will need, including maps which are needed for a few exams.

Most importantly the pack comes with an online pass to practice exams. (This is not including the practice questions at the end of each text book chapter, and larger practice exams at the end of the books.)

I bought the pack new from a fella that didn't have the opportunity to use them, so they have only been used by me. Some highlighting and pencil notes here and there.

Please PM me and we can discuss this further if you are still interested.

I am happy to post the pack anywhere in Aus, included in my price.

Best regards, and good luck.

Mark90

Return to “Flight Training”