Beckers Closing Down??

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Beckers Closing Down??

Postby havick » Tue Jul 31 2018, 04:41

Heard from a buddy that all but two pilots were made redundant at Beckers?

I thought they were making the big move to SA with a new facility? Is that no longer happening?
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: Beckers Closing Down??

Postby godfather007 » Tue Jul 31 2018, 05:01

Rumor is that the big contract has not been decided on or renewed.
Hope Mike and Jan can keep it all going, even if it is on the original scale.
Best of luck to them.
There is always an option.
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Tue Jul 31 2018, 05:02

When you own a house or are established with wife having a job and kids in school on the Funshine Toast, would you want to leave it and go to Whyalla?

Personally, no, but I believe some incentives are being offered.
120dreaming
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby 120dreaming » Tue Jul 31 2018, 08:56

Best to adjust staffing levels before to get into trouble which it sounds like they have done just that. smart business management to me

Hire slowly, fire quickly
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Tue Jul 31 2018, 10:21

120dreaming wrote:Best to adjust staffing levels before to get into trouble which it sounds like they have done just that. smart business management to me

Hire slowly, fire quickly

Probably not quite as palatable for the poor blokes with mortgages to pay and kids to feed though eh?
120dreaming
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby 120dreaming » Tue Jul 31 2018, 12:47

Business are not a charity, they need to be strong and profitable. It might look glamorous owning a business but it's a bloody tuff gig. We have everything on the line on a daily basis. Sorry for the rant
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Tue Jul 31 2018, 13:02

Business are not a charity, they need to be strong and profitable. It might look glamorous owning a business but it's a bloody tuff gig. We have everything on the line on a daily basis. Sorry for the rant

Feel free for the rant 120, and to expand on that, anyone that’s been in GA for a long period it’s very hard work especially in this current industry climate to be consistently profitable.

A lot of folks get into this game on the back of the passion of flying and the excitement it gives them personally, then comes the hard work to make it profitable if starting a business which these days are a dime a dozen it seems given the fashion CA$A give out AOC’s. Simply put there are many more AOC holders now than 25 years ago competing for the same pie.

I don’t know Beckers situation at all but I’m sure Mike will weigh in if he feels the need.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Wed Aug 1 2018, 15:25

I'd move to Whyalla, but not long term.
Either way, I am not yet licensed, no longer current and not yet 206 rated.
Nor Beckers recruitment material anyway.

Who would want to settle there?
Maybe they are going to offer FIFO arrangements and staff housing. That could work better for some.

I know it is bugger with the contracts vs staffing.
I know first hand how it feels not getting/having FI gig simply because of mil heli training contract not renewed. Elsewhere, not in Australia.

Return to “Flight Training”