CFPH- Performance & Planning exam restructure

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
VBlade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

CFPH- Performance & Planning exam restructure

Postby VBlade » Thu Oct 11 2018, 10:20

As some of you may be aware that the CFPH examination will be restructured as of 8th of November 2018 which will consist of additional exam questions and a wider variety of questions within the same 2.5 hr time frame provided.

The CAAP 234-1(1) is being replaced with the CAAP 234-1(2) and CASA 29/18 fuel instrument as permitted material.
Casa “Anticipate” that candidates will be able to finish within the 2.5hr exam time frame even though it appears that the 20 questions are going to now be 32 total.

Information can be found here.
https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-page/i ... t-messages

From what I have seen students currently sitting this exam are utilizing most of the 2.5hrs provided.

Guess that if you study for this now to take the exam prior the change, and fail your first attempt you will need to study the new material to resit the new structure, or if you wait for the change there may be a time constraint with the additional questions and content.

Interested to see others thoughts on whether students about to start this subject should sit this exam before or after the date.
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: CFPH- Performance & Planning exam restructure

Postby Hello Pilots » Thu Oct 11 2018, 23:02

W ankers
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Thu Oct 11 2018, 23:31

Best advice is go to the USA, get the CPL H , come back do a simple conversion .

Simply a money making racket
zzodr
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby zzodr » Fri Oct 12 2018, 01:29

So the CAAP 234 is now morphed from 7 pages into 38. Great.
Remember, if it looks too simple to actually work, make it more complicated.

Maybe they are reducing the variable reserve for RPT/Charter from 15% to 10% to offset the increasing weight of onboard documentation.
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Fri Oct 12 2018, 02:18

They are making it harder so they can go ahead with the 457 visa program :D
VBlade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby VBlade » Fri Oct 12 2018, 13:17

Maybe they are reducing the variable reserve for RPT/Charter from 15% to 10% to offset the increasing weight of onboard documentation.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:
VBlade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby VBlade » Fri Oct 12 2018, 13:49

According to CASA’s Australia wide pass rates CFPH is already the 2nd worst passed subject at around 65% behind flight rules.

So can only imagine these pass rates to drop even further now = Casa pockets get deeper. Oc:=

The states would definitely be the better option for training.... Cheaper, fairer, & more organized.
If I only was aware of the advantages before I started. You might aswell stay and work there if you’re lucky enough also as it appears to have much more opportunity.
RePLCPLH
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RePLCPLH » Fri Dec 21 2018, 23:08

Of the 7 theory exams, CFPH was the only one I timed out on. The pass rate since the restructure is very close to zero.
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Sat Dec 22 2018, 15:03

It would be interesting to hear from someone at AFT sunny coast on this.. from memory they usually have their finger on the ball about how to study and pass these exams especially when changes come into effect..

And id reckon thy would surely have some sort of direct communication avenue for feedback to CASA... especially if none of their students are passing...
RePLCPLH
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RePLCPLH » Sat Dec 22 2018, 23:49

I used a combination of AFT and Bob Tait material for my exams and for the most part I found their material pretty good as they were great at breaking down fairly complex topics and making them understandable. On CFPH though, anyone that had only used AFT had two problems:

1. They were woefully underprepared given how simple the AFT revision questions and practice exams were compared to the actual exam; and

2. I don't believe the numbers they're using for conversions are what CASA are using. Worse, some of their conversion numbers were flat out wrong. That was a big problem given the volume of white box questions on the exam.

The biggest tip I can offer anyone studying for the exam is to study according to the MOS and do extra research on any topics it mentions that you're not 100% sure of. Happy to provide tutoring for anyone that feels they need it.
VBlade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby VBlade » Sun Dec 23 2018, 00:45

Exactly what I thought may happen.
Not sure where CASA get the information for their statement that CFPH is not a time critical exam.

OAT mention an error in the 206 Poh about the fuel weight as .81 instead of .815kg/Lt.

Not aware of any others.

Return to “Flight Training”