Operations Performance & Planning CFPH material

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
skyjynx80
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Operations Performance & Planning CFPH material

Postby skyjynx80 » Wed Jan 2 2019, 11:39

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone could steer me in the right direction with CFPH study material, practice questions, e.t.c.

Have recently sat the exam and made a good mess of it. Iis by far the most complex exam so far as there is no material that seems to comes close to getting prepared for this exam, especially in the timeframe.

I am using Ron newmans Aviation theory which doesnt seem to clearly explain how to do these calculations properly, or I just cant make sense of it.
Friends of mine are using AFT, and they appear to be worse off as they are struggling worse than myself.

If anyone is aware of any study material, notes, questions or anything affordable that will help breakdown & explain things better it would be a huge help to all us struggling students.

Thankyou.

Zoey.
zzodr
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Operations Performance & Planning CFPH material

Postby zzodr » Thu Jan 3 2019, 05:39

Hi Zoey,

The CFPH exam is a little bit unique in that the questions with the most calculations required are also the most weighted in marks.
Normally a question is 1 or 2 marks. The last questions on the CFPH exam are worth 4 or 5 marks. These are usually C of G questions with a changing load.
You must know your C of G calcs really well, as the last questions are so heavily weighted if you don't get them right it is really hard to get a pass.
So I recommend you do these first when sitting the exam. Work last question on the exam to the first. Get the hard ones out of the way early.

So you must practice C of G questions a LOT. Get to know the 206 CASA extract for the exam well, and how to use the graphs. There is no shortcuts
for it.. it is just hard slog and repetition. The AFT book is the one I used, it has a worked answers section in the back which I highly recommend.
The website also has practice exams you can purchase.

The CFPH is really just a series of chapters which require more calculations as you progress. Try and identify which areas you are comfortable working out,
and which need more revision.

1. Pressure Height and Density Height. (This is also covered in CNAV exam)
2. Rates of Climb
3. Hover Performance
4. Service Ceiling and Gross Weight
5. TAS,SAR,SGR,FF & Max range and Endurance
6. Altitude, Gross Weight and Height Velocity Diagram
7. ETP & PNR calcs
8. C of G calcs (Most important section with weight of marks - also most calculations required)

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!
skyjynx80
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby skyjynx80 » Thu Jan 3 2019, 06:14

Hi Zzodr,

Thankyou so much for you’re reply and tips, I will definitely use them in my next attempt.

I thought I had a handle of it all but obviously not with my result, first fail. I will start from the end next time I sit.

Those worked answers is what I think I need to see where I’m going wrong in my calcs as all I get with OAT is correct or incorrect.

Are these AFT worked answers available for purchase anywhere or do I need to buy the whole package.?
2nd last exam so no need for the other topics.

Thanks again.

Zoey
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Thu Jan 3 2019, 06:27

If your struggling use this site.

https://www.aerotheory.com.au/subject/per/per.php - performance

https://www.aerotheory.com.au - main site
RePLCPLH
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RePLCPLH » Thu Jan 3 2019, 09:14

Hi Zoey,

Agreed- the new CFPH exam since the fuel rules change is the worst of the lot. I passed it but was informed by a few sources that as of late December, I was the only one in Australia that had. All I can say is that I didn’t bother attending my flight school for it. I studied at home by myself according to the MOS. I did look at AFT but had a feeling I’d be woefully underprepared if that’s all I used.

Happy to assist with a study guide and tutoring if I can be of any help.
skyjynx80
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby skyjynx80 » Thu Jan 3 2019, 10:53

Thank-you for the link Fill-Level, very nice of you.
Can’t believe it’s a free site, can only help.

Replcplh, that doesnt make me more confident on the new success rate.
Thankyou for the kind offer in assistance. I will see how I go and let you know as there a few things I should get better on before sitting again...

Thakyou for everyones help so far.

Zoey
skyboi

Postby skyboi » Thu Jan 3 2019, 23:39

Hi Zoey,

I recently sat the new CFPH exam and unfortunately just missed out on a pass. The biggest takeaway for me was that CASA now expect you to know and understand how to use a flight computer for this exam, previously this was only a component for the Nav exam. Without studying Nav prior to Ops it made it very difficult in the exam, so I'm not sure if you've studied Nav yet but it would be worth studying how to use a flight computer to determine ground speeds given W/V, track and TAS information. This will be incorporated into PNR and ETP exam questions.

Other than that I think the AFT books have the majority of the information you need and the worked answers help. Having a good understanding of all the topics Zzodr mention as well as the 206 CASA extract, the AIP for flight notification forms, the ERSA and the CAAP 92-2(2) and 234-1(2) for landing sites and fuel information. Just try and do as many practice questions as you can.

Happy to discuss further if you need.

Cheers
RePLCPLH
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RePLCPLH » Fri Jan 4 2019, 04:13

Hi Skyboi,

In a very time limited exam, it was much faster to work out the PNR and ETP questions using the ERSA wind component corrections and the info provided plugged into the basic formulas.
skyjynx80
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby skyjynx80 » Fri Jan 4 2019, 09:39

I managed to get 92% in my nav exam so I feel pretty confident on the flight computer.

Doing the wind calcs on the flight computer does soak up some time, but Ersa cant help determining drift and GS unless I have missed something, though can get them done proficiently with the computer.

All in all, the topics I need to work on are:

— Baggage calcs- Only know a trial error method, which is too time consuming.
— W&B- Just need to get faster, but always appear to get the correct answer.
— Interpolation as I find it hard to be accurate with estimating amounts between the lines on charts. especially with non multiple choice answers.

The rest I seem to be ok with, just need to be faster.
2.5hrs just isnt enough time I find... not even close.

If you guys have any advice on those topics it would be great.

Zoey
VBlade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby VBlade » Fri Jan 4 2019, 10:05

I’m in the middle of studying for this exam also, being my final exam and needing to get this done to sit my flight test this discussion is invaluable.

Though I havnt sat this yet, I seem to be in the same boat finding a speedier method. Time management appears critical according to all responses.

Zoey, Interpolation is something Im struggling to be accurate with also, I seem to be 10- 20 lb/kg e.t.c away from the actual practice exam answer which is frustrating as Im doing everything correct and making a wrong estimate between the lines.

Also, my baggage calcs are pretty woeful! I’ll take any advice on working them out quicker also if anyone is offering a method.

I am pretty fast with other weight balance questions as I have found a way quicker method than the one shown in the 206 sample loadings to work out T/O, Land, Fwd, Aft problems.

Zoey, Skyboi & anyone else that could do with assistance, am willing to get together to help each other either in person, phone or skype.... can only help if anyone is keen.

Skyboi- Happy to help you with the flight conputer if you like as I’m on top of it.

I know ReplCPLH is offering tutoring, which can always help also.
RePLCPLH
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RePLCPLH » Fri Jan 4 2019, 11:38

Check your ERSA skyjinx80...
skyjynx80
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby skyjynx80 » Fri Jan 4 2019, 23:15

The only page I have ever come across is page 902.
skyjynx80
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby skyjynx80 » Fri Jan 4 2019, 23:32

Hi vbladde,

Thanks for your post, Yes exactly what Im scratching my head with.

Thats what I am also out by with interpoating answers.. frustrating, wish the scale was larger on the charts to avoid this.

Would absolutely love to know you’re quciker method on Weight balance working.

You guys are so helpful. :)
VBlade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby VBlade » Sat Jan 5 2019, 00:50

No probs, happy to spend time and assist at no cost as thats what this forum is about, sharing advice and helping each other in the industry, as long as the same is returned to others in the future. What a place this would be if everyone done the same without trying to profit from it.

I’m also using only OAT.
Zoey, I have sent you A PM with a breakdown of how to do these W&B calcs in half the time with no subtraction needed. Feel free to call if you need a talk through.

Since I havnt sat the exam yet, I have a few questions that anyone who has sat it since the change might be able to answer, would be much appreciated.

1) Is the exam mostly multichoice or written answers?

2) is the exam all calcs or any general knowledge Q’s?

3) Any tips on accuracy of interpolating?

4) with conversions, I notice there is a discepancy with figures. i.e: kg- Lb = x 2.2046 or 2.20, USG- Lt = 3.8 or 3.79 as ERSA states both in conversion tables and general conversions. Whats more accurate for exam conditions?

5) In regards to Fuel loading tables, if you have a fuel amount not listed or in the middle of the listed amounts, is there a way to work out the CG / Moment.

6) Was the AIP used for anything in the exam?

7) Any tips on Baggage calc accuracy . Ie: arriving at Max baggage answer nore proficiently.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I am pretty strong with everything else,Happy to help anyone with anything I can and spend the time.

Cheers
Mungas
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Mungas » Sat Jan 5 2019, 01:01

pop;
RePLCPLH
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RePLCPLH » Sat Jan 5 2019, 01:11

This is the most help I can provide without charging to put together a full study guide including all the right documents and then tutoring sorry guys:

1. I'm not aware of anyone else that has passed this exam since the new fuel rules came in. Doing it the 'flight school way' like all the other subjects has therefore been proven not to work. It won't matter if you're getting 100% every time you do an AFT or similar practice exam, you'll still be woefully underprepared unless you've practiced substantially more complex questions. As for what CASA's policy is re rounding and accuracy in this exam, that's anyone's guess. There are however more 'white box' questions than any other exam so there's no way to pass by only doing part of the calculation and then checking for the correct answer from a list of options.

2. Read the list of permitted materials on the CASA website. Make sure you have not only the latest version of every document, but also any other related documents branded with the same numbers that can therefore be used as appendices. My flight school gave us only part of what was required and assumed it was the full document. Had I not found the other parts to it by studying this subject 100% at home and checking for everything from scratch, I would not have passed.

3. Unless it is an official Air Services publication such as ERSA or AIP, you need to download and print the doc yourself. Note well that there is nothing in CASA's rules that dictates what SIZE you print those docs...

4. Don't bother sitting CFPH without a solid pass in CNAV. You'll also need to brush up on CNAV before the exam as you can expect questions lifted straight from it (and no- in my exam at least, it was not a CTP/PNR question).

5. 2.5 hours is simply not enough time to do the exam properly. You don't have time to do complete weight & balance calculations, check answers, or mess about with a whiz wheel. You certainly don't have time to work out everything and come up with a full and perfect little W&B table like AFT drills into you. Your ERSA is a much faster way of determining headwind/tailwind components. On the same theme, there is a formula for shifting weight. Use it. Note also that the relationship is linear- i.e. shifting 50kg will result in exactly half the result of shifting 100kg if all other parameters remain the same. Think about that and then use your head- and your maths- to work out only what is required to arrive at the correct answer in a hurry.
skyjynx80
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby skyjynx80 » Sat Jan 5 2019, 07:03

Thankyou For sending that Vblade, you’re technique is soooo much easier & quicker, you’re a gem. Halved my time on these calcs.

Wish I could help you on the baggage problems but I am probably slower than you ad I use the trial and error method of OAT also. :(

To answer some of you’re questions

1. Mine was all m.choice except 5 questions
2. Mostly calcs, think I had like 3-4 generals.
4. Coversions I used the ones with larger decimal points in ersa for accuracy, seemed to get a few right not 100% sure though from my result :(.
6. Didnt feel I needed to use my AIP once...

Replcph - thanks for the tips, Yes, I defintely rely on my wheel a bit too much, I’ll see how I progress and get onto you if I am in a pickle, but hard on my country girl budget. What do you charge for tutoring and do you structure it all?

Thanks again everone!

Zoey
VBlade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby VBlade » Sat Jan 5 2019, 08:38

Glad that helped you out.

Cheers
RePLCPLH
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RePLCPLH » Sat Jan 19 2019, 01:57

Word is the exam has recently been revised to 'simplify the question wording' however the volume of questions and time allowed remains the same. Since the latest revision, one person achieved 80% so that's two people in total Australia-wide to have passed this exam since the new fuel rules were introduced in November 2018. Feel free to PM me if I can assist with any tutoring.
jimiemick
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby jimiemick » Sat Jan 19 2019, 05:38

I passed it 18months ago after ballsing it up twice. The only advice I can say is convert everything to lb to work things out. then if the question asks for the answer in Kg convert back.
The weight and balance sheet is much easier to do in lb.

The AFT notes where great, but i did them over and over again.
Also I skip the 1st few questions as they normally are worded to throw you off.
I started at the end and then did all the major points questions first.

And if all else fails. Answer C

Good luck

Return to “Flight Training”