Airwork helicopters

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
Jsmithy89
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Airwork helicopters

Postby Jsmithy89 » Mon Jan 7 2019, 02:52

Has anyone had anything to do with airwork helicopters? Thinking of finishing off my cpl course with them just seeing if there a good school? Thanks fellas
NZHelo
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: Airwork helicopters

Postby NZHelo » Mon Jan 7 2019, 06:29

*they’re
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon Jan 7 2019, 06:31

It's quite busy making Mylesy rich so you might struggle for a spot but they are a good school indeed with some good instructors in there at the moment.
Jsmithy89
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Jsmithy89 » Mon Jan 7 2019, 07:00

Ah cheers mate I’m looking to head up in April so I should be right with a spot then I’d imagine..
Jsmithy89
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Jsmithy89 » Mon Jan 7 2019, 07:01

NZHelo wrote:*they’re

Lol
FlyingStallion

Postby FlyingStallion » Tue Jan 8 2019, 10:13

Airwork is great - really good instructors!
Jugaby

Postby Jugaby » Wed Jan 9 2019, 06:07

Depending on your location maybe consider Townsville, FTA in Adelaide, Ballina.
I’m sure they all have really good instructors.
Plus you wouldn’t have to sit your flight test with the “108” kg Mylesy.
JJH

Postby JJH » Wed Jan 9 2019, 21:23

They're an awesome mob.

I did my licence with them last year. Great instructors and we were always having fun. I already have a job also!
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Wed Jan 9 2019, 22:59

Try Tim at Ballina, you won't go wrong there.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
haywire
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby haywire » Fri Jan 11 2019, 00:58

I did my license there a few years ago, they where good at the time but is becoming a factory of pilots...went back there about 8montha ago for a flight and seemed super un interested in me and more concerned with there factory pilots
Plus as the previous poster said about ur flight test with Myles, his weight, in an already maxed out MTOW is very very questionable at “108kg” I call s#!t he is ++++
Take my comments with a grain of salt, but do your research. Smaller operations are the way to go.
Jugaby

Postby Jugaby » Fri Jan 11 2019, 08:22

Mylesy weight is very questionable.

Edited - Mod.
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Fri Jan 11 2019, 10:38

Jugaby, you’re on a public forum. I don’t know the people you’re discussing or have any connection to them but this conversation is making me uncomfortable, I can only imagine how others reading would feel.
If you don’t want to train there then go somewhere else, I for 1 would appreciate it if you would keep the rude comments private.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
JJH

Postby JJH » Fri Jan 11 2019, 20:32

Given I was there last year I’m fairly certain he’s a disgruntled former employee. Not naming names but his username gives him away.
Toppy

Postby Toppy » Fri Jan 11 2019, 23:16

I did my license there a little while ago and the instructors were great. They have had a few personnel changes scince then but they are still great guys. A couple of benefits I found great were that you didn’t have controlled airspace to have to get clearance for every time you flew. (Although being confident and competent in airspace is also very good). Another is that they have the engineers working away and you can get ‘down and dirty’ changing the oil on a B47 on the spare occasion you aren’t prepping for your next flight or exam. I also liked having the option to fly the B47 which is rare at most flight schools now and converting over to the 22 after that.
zzodr
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby zzodr » Fri Jan 11 2019, 23:24

Also he is not familiar with the weight limitations of an R22.
RePLCPLH
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RePLCPLH » Fri Jan 11 2019, 23:42

Definitely one of the more entertaining threads on this forum to date and obviously I'm not the only one to question the motives behind anyone putting s#!t on Myles and his CFI. Given the fact I flew with that same CFI only yesterday, and then had a beer with Myles and his team, all I will say is this:

1. Airwork is a first-class operation with instructors that will not only get you flying a helicopter competently, but share their experience regarding actually getting into the industry full-time.

2. Are they 'the best' school in Australia for you? That depends on who you are and what you want to achieve. The fact that Airwork were the first school to figure out how to put a CPLH on a student loan guarantees they are going to attract a few potatos that simply thought the idea of flying a helicopter sounded fun. Some of those students will even achieve their license but never get a job. Others will be filtered along the way for the benefit of other students and the aviation community (and to the detriment of Airwork's balance sheet) and I have personally witnessed that occur. On the other hand, if you're the sort of peanut that blames their problems on a flight instructor or a CASA flight examiner's weight, when you don't even have the discipline to spell correctly, then I can't imagine anyone is going to be able to help you.

3. Would I change anything about the school? Definitely. But those are issues to be taken up directly with the school- or with a prospective student in a private discussion.

4. Do I enjoy flying an R22 right on MTOW in hot, humid, and windy conditions with a bunch of glider pilots with questionable radio skills around? With a grand total of 12 hours flying, no I do not. What I do know however is that every hour I do in those conditions will make me far more qualified to fly a fully loaded R44 in the Kimberley or wherever else it is I find my first gig.

5. Last time I checked, aviation was a great way to lose money- not make it. The fact that Airwork is one of the few operations with a sustainable business should tell any prospective student that there is more to learn there than simply flying.
choppermech1986
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby choppermech1986 » Sat Jan 12 2019, 00:21

Is he paying his employees superannuation these days?
Klaus

Postby Klaus » Mon Jan 14 2019, 01:01

As much as anyone has anything bad to say about Airwork Helicopters I would have to say to anyone making negative comments did you actually pay and do the course yourself and experience first hand whether or not they are good?? I am currently 3/4 of my way through my CPL and they have done nothing but be supportive in every way possible. These guys are like one big family and treat everyone with care and respect. I am actually surprised to see any negative comments about this company. Of course there is frustration from past students not passing exams and so on but it is all to easy to pass the blame onto you’re training organisation for your failures. In short if you are considering a training organisation for your CPL I couldn’t recommend anyone better than Airwork Helicopters!!
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Mon Jan 14 2019, 08:08

Nice post Klaus
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Helicops05

Postby Helicops05 » Wed Jan 16 2019, 07:17

Post removed - defamatory.
Perhaps full disclosure: Real name and previous history with this company would be a “bigger” approach.

Return to “Flight Training”