Tutoring

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
Gasket18
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Tutoring

Postby Gasket18 » Wed Oct 9 2019, 21:43

Hi all, I've decided to follow my dream of being a heli pilot. After years of chasing my other dream of motorcycle racing all over the world and now that it's prob to late to make a decent career out of being a pilot, I've decided to have a crack anyway as any longer and def no chance. After talking to a few companies, a local guy gave me what I thought was great advice and went and got my ARN, ASIC and medical sorted first. Seems as I'm 47, I must be really prone to kicking the bucket at any given time as had to do way over top medicals. Anyway past it all, then got a subscription to OAT. And have been trying to study of evenings and when I can fit it in. Sadly I do have a learning disability with theory. Does anyone know of any tutors in the Brisbane region? I would love to be able to afford to just quit work and go do full time study, but that just won't happen. I'm thinking a bit of problem is ot just hanging out with like minded people to keep the ideas and lessons etc bouncing around. Kind of like trying to learn a new language without actually getting to speak it with anyone. I did start flying about 18 years ago, but couldnt afford it and racing. I figured doing all of my theory before flying would be better, A to have mre understanding of what I'm doing and B if I fail exams, I haven't thrown away bucket loads of money on flight training as well. Anyway if someone knows a tutor or feels they could help please let me know.
Cheers :D
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Tutoring

Postby hand in pants » Wed Oct 9 2019, 22:40

Gasket, welcome to the club. Can't help with tutoring but get used to the over the top medicals. Wait till you hit 60, just stupid the tests they want done. and they won't listen to the doctors you use, no they make their own decision. And any tests they demand, you pay. They have way too much to say considering they have never met you, never examined you, and don't know what you actually do.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Chopper Guy
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Chopper Guy » Wed Oct 9 2019, 22:42

Hey mate.

Give Bruce a call on 0408 182 323

He helped a few CPL guys out whilst I was doing my licence. Pretty sure he based out if Archerfield...

CG

Edit: I don't know any other details, just have the number in my phone.
Chang739
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Chang739 » Thu Oct 10 2019, 00:30

Can't help with tutors, but as someone with the CPL theory subjects fresh in mind, feel free to shoot any questions through via PM.

Otherwise, if you search through previous posts on this forum there are a bunch of great reads regarding specific subjects, or if that doesn't cover it you can just ask the question directly as a new post.

I have completed:
-MET
-AERO
-AGK
-HUF
-PERF

Cheers,

Chang
Vortexsting

Postby Vortexsting » Thu Oct 10 2019, 00:36

Hey dude,

Good on ya for chasing what you want in life. In my opinion don’t waste your time with OAT (as I found it overwhelming and too detailed for what is required) get your hands on the course material from AFT just get the distance learning stuff and they have 24/7 ring up and ask questions. I would just skim through all the content and then just hammer practice questions on the website/ in the notes it will really set you up for success. The exams themselves are very similar to the online cyber questions the actual exams also don’t require any long word answers or explainations on theory but just mathematical number crunching using formula or one mark knowledge answers.

The first hurdle you have is not being overwhelmed just pick one subject at a time and hammer questions.
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Thu Oct 10 2019, 07:45

Vortexsting wrote:Hey dude,

Good on ya for chasing what you want in life. In my opinion don’t waste your time with OAT (as I found it overwhelming and too detailed for what is required) get your hands on the course material from AFT just get the distance learning stuff and they have 24/7 ring up and ask questions. I would just skim through all the content and then just hammer practice questions on the website/ in the notes it will really set you up for success. The exams themselves are very similar to the online cyber questions the actual exams also don’t require any long word answers or explainations on theory but just mathematical number crunching using formula or one mark knowledge answers.

The first hurdle you have is not being overwhelmed just pick one subject at a time and hammer questions.

Suggest you learn the subject matter and use the question banks as revision , it will help you down the track with knowledge , very easy to spot pilots who used the question banks to pass the exams
Vortexsting

Postby Vortexsting » Thu Oct 10 2019, 11:23

Fill-level wrote:
Vortexsting wrote:Hey dude,

Suggest you learn the subject matter and use the question banks as revision , it will help you down the track with knowledge , very easy to spot pilots who used the question banks to pass the exams

Wouldn’t hurt but CASA questions are somewhat vicious :shock:
chilli

Postby chilli » Fri Oct 11 2019, 08:05

Hey Gasket18,

I don't really have the time to offer tutoring services but I am located in Brisbane North and work as an instructor so I could offer help from time to time if you are interested.

Send me a PM if a tutoring offer doesn't come through.

Chilli
Ness

Postby Ness » Tue Oct 15 2019, 23:52

Hi,
I can provide you with options for one on one tutoring.
Have sent you a PM with some details.
Feel free to email me.

Regards
Ness
Gasket18
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Gasket18 » Sun Oct 27 2019, 22:10

Hey thanks all for the replies. Really appreciate them. I pretty much havent been on here since I put the question up. Been doing nightshift. And I don't function at all during the day when I do that. I'll chase up every one of your recommendations. I did go to the pilots shop at Archerfield and bought a copy of Aviation theory meteorology. So far a couple of things have clicked into place. I now flip between reading this and you tube with a couple of shows I'v found on there. I do have a learning problem so does make it tough but trying as hard as I can. I had to leave school because of it. I'm good at prac tho. I'm thinking it's kind of harder when you don't hang out with ppl with same interest too. Kind of like trying to learn a new language without speaking it to anyone. Doesn't get a chance to sink in.
On another note, has anyone done training thru a vet student loan. I'm tossing up between just trying to do this as I go along or biting the bullet and getting the loan and doing it full time. 2 reasons I can see in doing the latter, is around others doing it, and pretty much jumping all the way in . Also with not being far from 50 would give me that extra couple of years to getting the most time out of flying before being made to hand in the blades. The big downside is the extra amount of money it would cost in the long run.
choppermech1986
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby choppermech1986 » Mon Oct 28 2019, 04:45

I hate to be the Grinch here but I don't see things working out for you from what you've told us. I know of a few guys your age who have done it, but they've either been flush with cash or pretty sharp when it comes to the theory. If you can't work a night shift and put a decent amount of time in each day at a second vocation, you'll find that the rigors of a career in aviation will be far more intense.

You may be taking yourself down but from what you have told us, I think it would be irresponsible of anyone here to encourage you to put $100k into a career if the cards aren't stacked in your favour.

At the very least, go see a few more chief pilots/operators (not schools) and see if they'd hire you if you had a license, be honest with them about your full story, if they say yes, tell them to put their money where their mouth is and put you on for some casual work for a bit to see if it's really for you, in my experience, the reality of a flying career is a lot different to the dream.

Either way, best of luck in whatever you choose.
SIR_SMP
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby SIR_SMP » Tue Oct 29 2019, 01:09

Ill be perfectly honest and frank without writing a novel here and hopefully not upsetting too many people but your dream may not the dream you envisage. Why do you want to fly helicopters? is it the joy of flying because flying for a living is nothing like flying for fun or the enjoyment of it

At your age I assume you are used to having a reasonably stable income, have a house or paying one, living in one area etc. You will pop a lot of money into getting a license and that is only half the battle

The reality is once you have a license you will will earn very little money, volunteer or work for companies for nix or next to nix in order to get 'experience' so that you can possibly get a gig. Starting wages are very low if you get a full time gig expect to earn 50 - 60k full time (if you get a gig) Look up seek on the top end of heli pilot jobs and you might see how little it pays

Don't get me wrong if you love flying (I do) and you love aviation (I do) than being a pilot is the job for you, and flying helicopters is the best pilot job there is, just expect your dinner to be more 2 minute noodles than lobsters

Everyones journey is different but mine is basically as per above. When I finished (spent way more than 100K due to a lot of 44 time) I tried to make it full time for a year and never made enough money to eat. Long hours 5am - 7pm days for $100 a day as a contractor, flying circuits for tourist joy flights (once didn't even get payed for that) being offered pay to ferries or 'offered' (no pay) ferry flights where you pay all the costs (accommodation and food) the list goes on and on and on. My journey could have been easier if I would have gone out in the scrub but to be honest at this point in my life living in a tent in a dusty red place is a young mans game

Fortunately I had a decent career before and I still work in Aviation now in various capacities but fly a desk. I am probably more fortunate than most in that I own my own machine so for me flying is just purely for fun and enjoyment and I still love love all things helicopters, just couldn't make the flying part work

I hope I havnt burst your bubble but you need to understand some hard truths that no school will tell you

Regarding your introduction on the way in talk to as many companies as you can and as many pilots as you can. To be honest age is a challenge but it is not THE challenge. Regarding your questions on subjects and flying I think it is good to do a few hours and then get cracking into the theory, it makes a lot more sense than doing just the theory first however you should start knocking a couple of easy subjects out before you pas double digit hours (IMHO)
bigboynasty
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bigboynasty » Wed Oct 30 2019, 09:36

I was a later starter 20 yrs ago but my advice is save ya money and look for another line of work if you want a sea change. I'm now and old VFR pilot and while I have done lots of different things for mustering to fires to long long distance ferry flights and even 0.1 scenics it's hard to make a year round wage. With no IF time you are really just a as required casual contractors.
If you want to fly, learn it planes first as it's much cheaper and you can always pick up the helicopter side later on.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Wed Oct 30 2019, 19:07

bigboynasty wrote:I was a later starter 20 yrs ago but my advice is save ya money and look for another line of work if you want a sea change. I'm now and old VFR pilot and while I have done lots of different things for mustering to fires to long long distance ferry flights and even 0.1 scenics it's hard to make a year round wage. With no IF time you are really just a as required casual contractors.
If you want to fly, learn it planes first as it's much cheaper and you can always pick up the helicopter side later on.

This is good advice.

Do you fixed wing PPL first then convert it to a helicopter CPL. It’s basically the same cost as a strait helicopter CPL. Then do your fixed wing instrument rating down the road, it’s way easier for a prospective employer to take a chance on a guy that already has an instrument rating (albeit in a fixed wing).

I did the above and it’s what got me my first break into multi-engine helicopters early on in my career. There was a lot of luck with timing, but having the fixed wing instrument rating made it an easy transition onto helicopters.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
bigboynasty
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bigboynasty » Thu Oct 31 2019, 09:03

Bang on target Havick, looking back I wish that somebody had explained that to me. I've been a bit lucky but flying and living in some absolute sh$t holes in pretty much every continent from Africa to Asia to Central Europe, it always the same crap food, fuel from drums and cold showers when you can find one. IFR get clean sheets on the bed and good tucker, I'm green with envy!

Return to “Flight Training”