reading Bell206 HIGE and HOGE charts accurately

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
Gasket18
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

reading Bell206 HIGE and HOGE charts accurately

Postby Gasket18 » Thu May 7 2020, 21:46

Hey all, well I've passed 3 exams so far, met, human factors and basic aircraft knowledge. This week have set my sights on flight planning and operations. Does anybody have a copy of the aft books for it? I use OAT at the moment, it's brilliant, but I do find it a struggle to work things out with the way he's written it. For the first 3 I ended up reading the Bob tait and Becker books and it sank in better, then when I re read oat, I could interpret his way better.
I've ordered my ERSA and Bell 206 handbook hopefully they arrive today. I was doing the hovering performance section. Reading the charts doesn't seem to be that hard. He has only a copy of the HIGE chart tho I did find a copy f the HOGE chart online so I could look at it. Anyway come time to the practice questions he has in there, and I keep getting different answers .. Ie his answer will be 3660 and mine would be 3700. And to me I've even zoomed in and ran a ruler across the graph and it's saying hitting the line. Also I thought once youve got you PA oat and relative wind when you go across to the hover side, you went down as soon as you touch the hot day line, to me some of his answers have just been straight across to the azimath line or the actual degrees line for 1 answer. I've been told it's critical to be accurate on reading the graphs for the exam. Anybody able to give a hint on how to read it more accurately
Cheers
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: reading Bell206 HIGE and HOGE charts accurately

Postby skypig » Thu May 7 2020, 22:02

The perfect example of how badly the exams are written/interpreted.
It shows a misunderstanding of the graphs - similar to asking someone to measure the width of a human hair with a ruler.
They are asking for precision the graphs were never designed for.
Rant over.

I’m no expert, but I’ve seen someone who is, advocating marking extra “graduation” lines on the graph.
IE With a fine pencil divide the current gap between lines into 10 - to give you a better chance of getting the precise answer CASA has decided is important. (Rather than testing if you know how the graph works, and can get the answer to within a think pencil width.)
DaveL
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby DaveL » Fri May 8 2020, 01:45

Gasket18 wrote: Ie his answer will be 3660 and mine would be 3700.

If 40 feet is the difference between being able to hover or not you probably shouldn't be going there.. These type of questions completely miss the mark..
Gasket18
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Gasket18 » Fri May 8 2020, 02:34

if 40 feet is the difference between being able to hover or not you probably shouldn't be going there.. These type of questions completely miss the mark..

yeah my thinking as well. But I was talking to someone about exams and they said you have to be deadly accurate in reading all the charts for the exams. I'm hoping that when the Bell manual arrives the charts might seem a little clearer anyway.
As 1 of I'm a bit confused with how he came to a couple of his answer as when I was reading the chapter, I'm sure he said that when you hit the hot day line you go down from that, or if the wind is in the azimuth area as soon as you touch that line you go down, and if it's stable conditions or wind fro the other direction, you go down from when you the degrees on the day.
I'm a bit confused with how he came to a couple of his answers, as it looks like he went to azimuth line even tho you reach the hot day line first.
Wannabe60Driver
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Sat May 9 2020, 03:11

Just a tip but you’re making it unnecessarily hard on yourself doing the exams in that order. Planning/performance is the hardest of the lot and relies heavily on nav (and law to a smaller extent). Law has plenty of operational met in it so having passed met that would be good to get done. Doing aero would also be smart given you’ve passed AGK and understand what aero relies on. Do yourself a favour and leave nav and planning ‘til last.
Gasket18
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Gasket18 » Mon May 11 2020, 09:42

Wannabe60Driver wrote:Just a tip but you’re making it unnecessarily hard on yourself doing the exams in that order. Planning/performance is the hardest of the lot and relies heavily on nav (and law to a smaller extent). Law has plenty of operational met in it so having passed met that would be good to get done. Doing aero would also be smart given you’ve passed AGK and understand what aero relies on. Do yourself a favour and leave nav and planning ‘til last.

yeah cheers, I was actually starting to think aero might be the better option.. so would you suggest aero then law? I still have aero, law, nav and performance to go so would that be the better order to do them in?
Wannabe60Driver
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Mon May 11 2020, 11:25

My suggestion would be aero or law first. Doesn’t matter which you do first given you’ve already done AGK and met. Save nav and planning to do back to back as one feeds into the other.
Gasket18
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Gasket18 » Wed May 13 2020, 10:20

Wannabe60Driver wrote:My suggestion would be aero or law first. Doesn’t matter which you do first given you’ve already done AGK and met. Save nav and planning to do back to back as one feeds into the other.

ah ok sounds like good reasoning.. cheers

Return to “Flight Training”