IREX

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
haywire
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

IREX

Postby haywire » Tue Sep 22 2020, 06:43

Hey Team,

quick question,
Is it beneficial / worth doing the IREX theory if you arnt going to fly IFR anytime soon? Like is the education that i will get from it going to help with flying VFR

Just want some general advice. Cheers
Wannabe60Driver
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: IREX

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Tue Sep 22 2020, 07:12

Short answer is no. The IREX has however been used by plenty of employers as an indicator of someone’s willingness to go above and beyond.
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Tue Sep 22 2020, 08:46

Of course its beneficial , any further education is highly valuable .

The issue with IREX exam, is when you may need it, it takes time to get.

Once passed , it has no expiry .... So if you can afford the time and money , do it.
Mongrel Dog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mongrel Dog » Tue Sep 22 2020, 09:29

Fill-level wrote:Of course its beneficial , any further education is highly valuable .

The issue with IREX exam, is when you may need it, it takes time to get.

Once passed , it has no expiry .... So if you can afford the time and money , do it.

☝️This
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Tue Sep 22 2020, 10:17

If the instrument theory is new to you, it might take a while to grasp the concepts - at some stage during your studies it might help to find somebody with a good simulator program on their computer to "fly" some instrument approaches to see what is going on.

Does the exam still rely on fixed-card ADF and the dopey rotate-the-bezel VOR?
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Wed Sep 23 2020, 01:02

There’s some good instrument trainer apps that are great for learning intercepts.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Icefather
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Icefather » Wed Sep 23 2020, 04:37

Just wondering if anyone has recently sat this and which IREX provider for study materials you used and how close was it?
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Wed Sep 23 2020, 09:08

Bob Tait is the go , but Aviation Theory Centre have a very good book , if you like more than just the basics to pass .
Wannabe60Driver
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Wed Sep 23 2020, 12:04

Icefather wrote:Just wondering if anyone has recently sat this and which IREX provider for study materials you used and how close was it?

Sat it early this year and passed on first attempt with Bob Tait’s book and home study. The exam questions were taken straight from it.
stubble

Postby stubble » Thu Sep 24 2020, 20:54

I went to Lindsay Walsh, Somerset Aviation in Brisbane - Brilliant!
TreeTrimmer125
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby TreeTrimmer125 » Fri Sep 25 2020, 03:17

Totally agree with all the above - I've been going thr the Bob Tait IREX book myself just recently and found that while I cannot legally use it, flying a VOR or NDB, using whatever instruments your ship is fitted with is a great little exercise. Keeps your head in the game particularly when you ferry back from a job or whatever. Using two NAV aids to pinpoint your exact fix over a map and then looking down to see if you have done it correctly is simple and fun (in my opinion) - Try this stuff if you have never done it - ideally with someone on duals when you do it for the first time so you have a second set of eyes out the window while you are working out whats going on with this old ADF, fixed card DG and all that funky stuff.

It takes a while to grasp the concept of it all, plenty of pitfalls in the IFR world and lots going on if you are SPIFR - the more you can play / practice even if its just the basic things, the better - it will greatly help when you do sit the actual IREX as well as the IFR flight component.
[*]if you have never failed, you haven't tried hard enough

Return to “Flight Training”