flight schools US

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
Gator
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: flight schools US

Postby Gator » Mon Aug 29 2011, 15:12

SkyBurner wrote:Once they have completed this flying they have 1 exam to do! ONE EXAM of which they are given the answers to study the night before!

I am in the US right now doing some fixed wing flight training for my FAA PPL, and I am curious to know how my instructor would find out exactly what questions I will receive for my theory exam. My PPL theory exam is a cyberexam which is to be carried out at an independant theory testing centre, much the same as the ASL exam centre I attended when I completed my helicopter CPL theory subjects in Australia. The questions are randomly selected from a pool of approximately one thousand questions. The difference here in the US is that the exact questions are published and used in all the training materials, whereas in Australia the practice questions are only quoted as being 'similar' to what we can expect on the exams. This may be different for CPL but I highly doubt it.

Although pilots who convert their FAA CPL to an Australian licence have not completed the same level of theory study, I personally fail to see how they can be considered to be dangerous pilots. Firstly, you quoted these pilots as having around 250-300 hours. That's a little more than the 105, or even 125 hour minimums in Australia, and secondly, they have to show they are competent by passing an Australian CPL flight test. Surely if there were any deficiencies in their flying they would not pass the practical flight test?

Gator
Bladerunner
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bladerunner » Mon Aug 29 2011, 23:35

Australian PPL(H) Holders who have logged maybe 250-300 hours on their OZ PPL are going over to the US and Converting their PPL(H) licences to a US CPL(H).

I'm pretty new to this game, however some basic maths tells me that if someone is heading to the States with 250 - 300 hours PPL time already which presumably as a PPL licenced pilot , they themselves paid for, would it not be a lot cheaper to just do your CPL(H) here?
The world needs to HATFU !
Bitch Slapper
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Bitch Slapper » Tue Aug 30 2011, 00:43

I think Bladerunner worked it out.
250 hrs x $100 per hr for fuel in an R44 = $25,000.00 in fuel cost alone.
2.5 x 100hrlys = $6,000.00 to $9,000.00 in labour costs
parts replacement ??
insurance for half a year as it would take half a year to fly 250 hrs.
half a year off work to fly all those 250 hrs. =$25,000.00

and a bunch more costs would put you miles behind just getting an AUSSIE CPL H.

support the country in which you wish to fly.
don't go to the USA to save money, your making it harder to get a job back here as the schools have to down size because you are getting your licence overseas, that puts lots of instructors into the charter market which is right were you will be looking for work as well, and they will have more hrs than you, and know the countryside their flying around and you won't.
FIGJAM
sydflyer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby sydflyer » Tue Aug 30 2011, 00:45

SkyBurner wrote:The problem is......and listen carefully.........JOHN CITIZEN HAS NOT COMPLETED THE REMAINING 5 SUBJECTS! PLEASE SHOW ME WHERE THIS GAP HAS BEEN FILLED IN? BECAUSE HE DIDNT DO IT IN AUSTRALIA AND HE DIDNT DO IT IN THE US........SO WHERE?

The truth is that he has NOT completed this study anywhere and is deficient in the required knowledge of evey other pilot who did their training in Australia.

Having had some recent experience with this I am going to call this a complete load of bullocks. The CPL theory tests here in Australia are woefully simple. Like everyone else I have done the Bob Tait theory. Some questions are so similar to the CASA tests they even have the same grammatical errors! Frankly, if you do enough practice tests you couldn’t fail – but you might still know next to nothing.

So I log 300 hrs in the US and have to do 7 exams now when I come home. So what? It’s no big deal. It’s not like CASA are going to refuse anyone a CPL conversion because they trained in the US.

When it comes to doing anything in life, experience counts. A 125 hr CPL candidate with acceptable passes here in Australia has only met the MINIMUM experience to go out and learn some more while someone else pays the bill. It follows a 300 hr pilot may well be a much better choice if the experience was relevant and recent. Whatever the case, any operator with half a brain will keep a very close watch on any pilot as green as that, whether or not they trained in Australia.

Most of the complaints come from Australian operators who feel aggrieved that they are not competitive with the US. Well, welcome to the new world. Everyone is feeling it – department stores are all going out of business because EBay is here. ITunes has made music and DVD stores a thing of the past. People are even building their own aircraft to avoid hassles with the local LAME. Extreem I know - but having met a few of the people involved I have to admit I know why.

In today’s world – you do business because you have good relationships with your customers and you provide a valuable service. If you want to be the kind of person who believes they have a RIGHT to make money and treat customers poorly you might not last too long. Unfortunately aviation in Australia is full of those people. You can generally find them in moments – they are the ones winging and whining to anyone who will listen.

Richard
vortexstate
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby vortexstate » Tue Aug 30 2011, 01:11

VORTEXSTATE.....Could you please get yourself an original name, I have had this one for a few years now and I don't need your ramblings tarnish my good name! Oc:=

Moderator, could we see to this please?
sandman

Postby sandman » Tue Aug 30 2011, 05:27

[quote="sandman"]Looking to convert to FAA cpl, and exploring employment market[/quote

I have oz cpl(h) and if you had bothered to read above post,would have no fear of me diluting the local market with my "substandard" training,as I intended flying in the US.
Numro uno

Postby Numro uno » Tue Aug 30 2011, 13:56

Bladerunner wrote:Australian PPL(H) Holders who have logged maybe 250-300 hours on their OZ PPL are going over to the US and Converting their PPL(H) licences to a US CPL(H).

I'm pretty new to this game, however some basic maths tells me that if someone is heading to the States with 250 - 300 hours PPL time already which presumably as a PPL licenced pilot , they themselves paid for, would it not be a lot cheaper to just do your CPL(H) here?

I believe your right with your basic maths BUT think about this, if you have paid for most or if not all of those Hrs i believe CASH isn't a problem :!:
DanHeath
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby DanHeath » Tue Aug 30 2011, 17:51

[quote="SkyBurner"]Well! yet another person who doesnt have HIS FACTS STRAIGHT!

"Australian PPL(H) Holders who have logged maybe 250-300 hours on their OZ PPL are going over to the US and Converting their PPL(H) licences to a US CPL(H). This process involves maybe 10-15 hours flying training in the US MAX (depending on whether they require night training or not). Once they have completed this flying they have 1 exam to do! ONE EXAM of which they are given the answers to study the night before! By some sort of a Miracle they PASS! (surprise). Congratulations! you now have an american CPL(H) after completing a very taudry flight test in the US"

This is not correct - Sorry

To clarify the process for obtaining the FAA CPL (H)

Basically you will need to firstly convert your private certificate over. The requirements for this are found in the Federal Aviation Regulations 61.75

Provided the license was issued by an ICAO Country you can have a Private Pilots License Issued directly without the need for any further check rides or tests provided that

- There are no limitations on the license you hold
- You don't hold any other US License
- You have a medical Certificate
- You can speak read etc English
- Any aircraft ratings can be carried over BUT FOR PRIVATE LICENSE USE ONLY

Essentially we put all the information together and send it to the FSDO (Flight Standards District Office). They will review the information and provided all ok you will get a US FAA Private License. I don't believe there is a cost of this.

Commercial License

FAA Regulations for a Commercial Pilot can be found in 61.129

You cannot convert your Aussie commercial to an FAA Commercial by showing your Aussie paperwork. Basically, you need to show that you have the aeronautical experience to qualify for a commercial license. This is what is required for FAA Commercial - Check off the requirements from your log book

- At least 150 hours flight time as a pilot
- 100 hours in powered aircraft - 50 must have been in a Helicopter

- 100 PIC which includes at least
- 35 hours in helicopters
- 10 Hours X Country

- 20 hours of training found in 61.127 (more on that)
- 5 hours Instrument Training (Can be in a SIM)
- 2 hour XC Flight in daytime with 1 straight line distance in excess of 50 NM from original point of departure
- 2 Hour XC Flight night time with 1 straight line distance in excess of 50 NM from original point of departure

- 3 Hours in a helicopter in the prior 2 months with an instructor in preparation for the test

- 10 Hours of Solo OR 10 Hours performing the duties of PIC

- 1 XC Flight with landings at minimum 3 points with a straight line distance of at least 50 NM from original point of departure

- 5 Hours night VFR with 10 takeoff and 10 Landings

If you have completed all of these requirements you will only need to come here and demonstrate proficiency to a CFI who will then give you an endorsement for the practical test.

You will also need to pass the FAA Commercial Ground Examination

The Checkride is not some tawdry flight test anymore than the Aussie one is.

And finally the written examination is multiple choice and comes from a bank of several thousand questions covering topics from weather, navigation, procedures air law etc. Then in the "Tawdry" Checkride (depending on DPE) you may have an additional 2 hours of oral exams.
Jamie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Jamie » Tue Aug 30 2011, 22:25

I agree with DanHeath 100%.
On the theory side of things, the U.S checkride required a much more thorough knowledge of the aircraft you were flying - i.e drawing from memory the wiring diagram and fuel schematic at the aural exam. I don't know any Oz students (possibly even instructors) who could do that for a H300?

It seems Peter must have lost out in some way to a U.S trained pilot - sour grapes I would suggest.
froginasock
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby froginasock » Tue Aug 30 2011, 23:04

Dan Heath .. great post. Hard to argue with fact - rather than 'opinion'.

Regardless of where you get your licence, you need to get the most out of it. If you're unhappy with a school (Aust the US or NZ)- LEAVE IT.

If you are young and have the itch to travel the world .. do it .. enjoy it .. and when you're ready - come home - convert the licence - and pass on your experience to people around you.

Frog (try not to take my job when you get back)
LivinAtLarge
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby LivinAtLarge » Wed Aug 31 2011, 14:26

Well Said Sydflyer, could not agree more.

DanHealth you are 100% correct.

This augment pops up from time to time and it sh!ts me every time.

LAL
harold
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby harold » Thu Sep 1 2011, 02:07

Maybe I can finish this with this observation
The conversion is not about cost nor is it about the veracity of the US CPL; it is about not having to do the 7 subjects we require here in Australia.
My example was given the study material on a Friday evening and was awarded a pass in the single subject exam on Monday 95%!
Try doing that with any of the Australian examinations?
Blade4000
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Blade4000 » Thu Sep 1 2011, 04:33

On a lighter note...

I once flew with Hurricane Helicopters in New Orleans, back in 2005, female instructors name was Katrina :wink:

Thread re-opened after some serious editing. Round 2...lets play a littler nice this time around. Leave the insults and insinuations elsewhere and keep the good info flowing. Blade4000 - thanks for the lighter note and keem 'em coming. Mod
HeliKiwi500
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby HeliKiwi500 » Wed Aug 8 2012, 04:34

DanHeath wrote:- At least 150 hours flight time as a pilot

- 100 PIC which includes at least

So, after completing my CPL here in NZ, I will probably have about 50 hours PIC/solo time, as do most people. Above, it says to convert to FAA, you need a minimum of 100 hours of PIC/solo time. Is it really that much?
DanHeath
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby DanHeath » Mon Jan 23 2017, 08:10

Update on Mauna Loa Helicopters: Hi - I had originally replied almost 5 years ago to this thread and have had a number of email requests since. Here is a little update.

I returned to the school twice since the original posting : The last time was for my ATP License. The school has got even better - more aircraft , a thriving tour business and excellent software for assisting student pilots. I really cannot recommend them highly enough. There are a high % of students who are taken on as CFI's once training has been completed - and a pathway through to the tour operation - which results in gaining sufficient hours to land that all important Turbine Gig.

I have placed a number of their graduates in positions in China and elsewhere over the past few years - its a no brainer because I know they are well trained , disciplined and professional .

For the Aussie pilots there are a number of reasons to consider them:

1) The F1 Visa will allow for the training and then to be able to work in the USA for upto 2 years after. So upon returning home you will easily have enough hours to get the next level of jobs. No more getting trapped in the no - mans land of CASA post commercial license and not enough hours to work. If you get hired (over 90% do) - then you will come back will well over 1000 Hours

2) Any Uni Graduates have another opportunity .. the E3....

Always happy to answer questions - can PM me or email dan.heath@me.com
DanHeath
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby DanHeath » Thu Jul 6 2017, 08:01

havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Thu Jul 6 2017, 13:06

Cloud9 helicopters in Florida also offer the same opportunity and is a great school with good equipment. The owner is a Brit so has a soft spot for Aussies.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Skiman
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Skiman » Sat Jul 8 2017, 23:45

DanHeath wrote:...

Hi Dan

I sent you a PM and an email back in May but didn't get a response WRT Mauna. If you have the time, can you please get back to me?

Cheers

(sorry for minor thread hijack)
DanHeath
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby DanHeath » Tue Jul 11 2017, 07:48

and I responded !

Return to “Flight Training”