Glaucoma

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
feelicia

Glaucoma

Postby feelicia » Thu Feb 2 2012, 11:23

Will i be chaptered out of the military if i am diagnosed with glaucoma? went for a routine eye exam to get some new glasses and now they say i may have glaucoma. just curious what that means for my career. and if i am chaptered will i still have access to my benefits. if anyone has any info on this subject please let me know.
Last edited by feelicia on Mon Feb 6 2012, 06:46, edited 1 time in total.
Master Cylinder
200th Member!
200th Member!

Re: Glaucoma

Postby Master Cylinder » Thu Feb 2 2012, 12:43

Is your inquiry relevant to aviation and specifically to flight training? As you've posted on an aviation forum and specifically in the Flight Training forum, I'm assuming that this is the case.

If so, I hope that the members of the forum can provide you with the feedback you are after.

MC (Moderator)
To fly is human, to hover...divine!
masteroff
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby masteroff » Sat Feb 4 2012, 22:01

Be careful if Avmed gets hold of you. A mate of mine broke his arm in a fall playing touch footy. Presented to medical, xrays and simple fracture of the radius, 6 weeks out of action, no flying. That was 2010 and he still isn't cleared. He currently can bench a good 90kg so no issues with it.

I am saying if you can avoid having to report it to them until you know what is going on, do it. Spend the cash and get a referral to an ophthalmologist and don't tell him who you work for.

Get the answers first and maybe they can treat it early before the tossers in Edinburgh get their claws into you.
muppet
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby muppet » Sat Feb 4 2012, 22:57

feelicia - The advice from CC Choper is wise - go get some other opinions. And what was it they actually said? eg "You have a risk of developing glaucoma" or "You have advanced glaucoma" cos the two are of course vastly different. You may well have glaucoma for all I know, and I would guess (layman's view) that such would affect your pilot's medical (if that is the point - as raised by MC). My optometrist dude said I had a slight risk of glaucoma so each year he will now make me do some little 'spot the dots' test which is an annoying little f***ing thing, but I passed it no problem. Apparently it checks for a trend in loss of peripheral vision or something. So my advice, get further expert input cos if you have a serious eye problem, who gives a toss about the military or aviation. I would be more concerned about seeing my wife's beautiful smile every morning when I wake up (put that in in case I forget to log-out and she sees this thread...). Good luck cos such things always make you worry a bit...
Chook FE

Postby Chook FE » Tue Feb 7 2012, 23:47

To answer the original question, If your GSO then no, if your SSO, then I suggest you do some GSO courses!

Return to “Flight Training”