Flying and living in Thailand?..

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
lowlevelhell
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Flying and living in Thailand?..

Postby lowlevelhell » Fri Apr 20 2018, 05:05

My current position (non-flying) has a couple mates that FIFO to our work location, they keep trying to convince me to buy property and move to Thailand where they live, I was wondering if anybody here has experience of flying in Thailand, if so how difficult is it to find a position or get work authorisations/visa's? I'm toying with the idea of possibly retiring there in the future so was wondering what the work situation for ex-pat heli-pilot's might be like, cheers all.
No bucks? No Buck Rogers! 8)
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Flying and living in Thailand?..

Postby Twistgrip » Fri Apr 20 2018, 05:47

I’m not sure about the work visa or what your flying etc but there are a few companies operating over there.

http://www.helithai.com
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Black Ops
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Black Ops » Fri Apr 20 2018, 08:20

Very hard to get a gig in Thailand unless your flying heavies off shore.. even then its difficult. They don’t want foreigners taking local jobs.
lowlevelhell
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby lowlevelhell » Fri Apr 20 2018, 10:46

Black Ops wrote:Very hard to get a gig in Thailand unless your flying heavies off shore.. even then its difficult. They don’t want foreigners taking local jobs.

Is that statement based off personal experience, first hand knowledge or hear-say?...
No bucks? No Buck Rogers! 8)
Little Bird
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Little Bird » Fri Apr 20 2018, 11:16

Helicopter Labour Union kicked up a fuss back in 2014. Argued that there were too many foreign pilots taking the locals jobs. Lot of expats left or had their contracts changed to a more local style.
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Fri Apr 20 2018, 18:29

Lived and worked in Thailand for over 4 yrs at a senior level (not heli) and done a lot of business over the years there and all I can say that "screw the foreigner" is the favourite pastime. Expats come and go at a remarkable rate and you just have no legs to stand on, the country needs expats at all levels yet they have zero appreciation for the efforts no matter what the industry.

Added to the issues with the never ending coups d'état ( currently at over 24 i think ?? ) and the current military rule you’re really pushing s$it up hill.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ister-says

Be very careful.

Regards,
'Mankind has a perfect record in aviation - we have never left one up there!'
utc

Postby utc » Mon Apr 23 2018, 00:27

It'll be quite difficult, unless you have a wealth of offshore and check & training experience. There are currently expats flying in Thailand, both onshore and offshore.

Return to “General Employment Questions”